SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Front Lower Control Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-16, 11:17 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

I do not know what the original feels like - I bought my car used, but my guess is that the OEM Lexus bushing is designed to insulate road feeling. If you want OEM feeling, you need OEM bushings. I had installed poly steering rack bushings on different vehicle, and it improves handling and driving experience for me. I am planning to change mine to poly.
Old 01-11-17, 12:44 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok I am having the FIG steering rack bushings installed today and front wheel bearings and when it was up in air we did notice the lower control arm #2 bushing ripping.
Bon, you had said on ebay your found good price for oem arms? I cannot find that, do you know link?
Also I am thinking of getting the FIG bushings but dont want a harsher ride, so would love link to the arms with bushing or an oem style bushing to install.
Old 01-11-17, 12:47 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

also I keep seeing GS lower control arms popping up in searches, are the sc and GS the same part numbers?
Old 01-13-17, 06:06 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Ok, I am losing it, just picked up car after replacing the steering rack bushings with FIG, went to Lexus and bought new OEM #2 lower control arms, and replaced front and rear wheel bearings because or roar noise.

The car still has the same wobble in the wheel over certain bumps!!! Everything else on suspension is in excellent shape, tech went over it all with me in the air, nothing else worn. I seriously cant tell a difference with the rack bushings at all and nothing with the lower control arms except maybe at very low speed the car feels very solid, but once you get going and hit a bump, the wobble is back.

I also put brand new Continentals on it, but no change.

I could see a slight seepage from front shock, could this wobble be coming from front shocks? I am feeling like I want to sell it already, I cant drive something that is not correct, and I cant get it right after spending $1,500.

I see others say 06 no issues, is that the case, 06 does not have the wobble/shake in wheel? This is all with top up as well.
Old 01-13-17, 06:18 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

I should also mention, the tech tightened every bolt in front suspension by hand. All wheels are perfectly balanced. The car is so smooth its crazy until you hit a bump and your hand shakes back and forth. Brakes, rotors perfect, its non of that. Front shocks, or its just the way these cars are, but I cant really believe that lexus would produce something that drives that way over a bump. My GX I cant feel anything over bumps and its a truck. Any of my LS's never felt anything either.
Old 01-13-17, 06:35 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Because it's not a wobble. It's called bump steer. That's why BgW70 said looking back he would have started with new shocks. The geometry of this front end is such that it is prone to bump steer. New dampers does help control it. Judging by reviews of coil overs. the different spring rate and damper rates seem to help a lot. But that said, just new dampers will restore your steering. Just seems that others have been even happier with coilovers.

Last edited by Coleroad; 01-13-17 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-14-17, 05:06 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

These are probably worn out and causing your issues, as Cole said...hope you change them out before you give up on the car.

Old 01-14-17, 06:34 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

foreste1 - You didn't mention looking at the inner and outer tie rods. Has this been done? Any looseness there will result in steering slop or shake. Also, don't forget the lower ball joints. I replaced mine at 65,000 miles and it made an amazing difference. Mine weren't squeaking or groaning and I thought I was wasting my time but it tightened things right up. Overall, worn out shocks don't lead to steering shakes at slow speeds going over bumps. Oh, and the upper ball joint and control arm is not stressed so it lasts practically forever. When you find the problem you will have that Lexus ride you're looking for.
Old 01-14-17, 06:59 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Bump steer has nothing to do with the speed of travel. It all has to do with suspension geometry. While there is little we can do to change the geometry on the sc430. Not allowing excessive oscillations by have good dampers helps reduce the feel of it. Back in the 60's and 70's there answer reducing the feel of it was to have over powered, power steering. Here is an article that maybe can shed better understanding. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp-...eer-explained/
Old 01-14-17, 07:34 AM
Bon
Advanced

I didn't interpret the description of " The car still has the same wobble in the wheel over certain bumps " as bump steer. Perhaps foreste1 can clarify what he's experiencing. When I had loose steering parts I too felt a lot of steering kickback and wobble that had nothing to do with bump steer. Now that my front end is solid and properly aligned bump steer is so minimal as to not be noticeable - and I'm a picky enthusiast that is driven to madness when my cars and motorcycles aren't working as they should.

Last edited by Bon; 01-14-17 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-14-17, 07:42 AM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Hi Guys, yes we looked at inner and outer tie rods, all other front suspension is good. It feels super solid at slow speeds, and really feels like a new car at slow speeds. Its just when I get up to maybe over 20 and hit series of small bumps my hands moves from left to right as the wheel jerks back and forth slightly. The car handles excellent, does not wander, and feels perfect on the open road, just the bumps when I have the issue.

It sounds like I should of just done front shocks to begin with as you guys suggested. I just figured the FIGS could not hurt and once I saw the Lower #2 were torn, I figured there it is! The wheel bearings were toast as well, so at-least now it is quiet inside.
So what exactly do I need for front shocks? I read KYB is original, do you guys know which part numbers? I dont want to start cutting and changing things, just want to install OEM style to see if this will work.

Thanks to all of you!!
Old 01-14-17, 08:53 AM
Bon
Advanced

How many miles are on your SC? Do you see any fluid leaking from the shocks? I think there are pictures in the SC factory manuals that show an acceptable amounts of oil on the shocks as "normal" so don't let just any traces of oil make you think they should be replaced. Generally, if they're dry they're fine. I've used KYB on several Toyota and Lexus vehicles have good luck on all but one. It started rattling and had to be replaced. I didn't go the warranty route but just replaced it and that was that. Coincidentally I have a brand new pair of front shocks in my garage that I'd let go for 75% of the best OEM pricing you can find. Otherwise I'm just hanging onto them for future use. Their part number is 48510-80238.
Old 01-15-17, 08:25 AM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Thank you Bon, the right front shock just has slight seepage, but after driving car some more yesterday I do notice a bit of a float over bumps and over rises in the pavement making me thin the shocks are ready to be replaced. Thanks for offering your shocks, probably will get new ones locally.
Old 01-15-17, 10:05 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Those OEM shocks are expensive!
how much are you asking Bon?

i did find this website...
http://www.new-part.com/product/lexu...ne-48510-80238

Last edited by Bgw70; 01-15-17 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-15-17, 05:55 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

do you think those are oem kyb shocks for $78.00?

Quick Reply: Front Lower Control Arm Bushings