SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Latest on my Airbag recall

Old 06-16-16, 03:05 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 851 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonstruck
So here is the latest on my airbag recall. After all these years of waiting I got a call from the Lexus dealer here in Rochester informing me that the parts are in and that they would like to schedule the airbag replacement. I have an appointment for July 5. Am I right that the recall provides a loner? Also I believe that they are now going through the glove box rather than removing the dash. Is this correct? I plan on taking pictures off my interior with the service rep presentrhanks just for insurance. Thanks to all of you for being supportive of me during this process. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Read post three.
Download the recall notice and all questions should be answered.

Loaner, yes
Free tank of gas, yes.

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-16-16 at 03:09 AM.
Old 06-16-16, 03:33 PM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bgw70, thanks guy. I skimmed over all the posts and missed the most important part in post #3.
Old 06-17-16, 05:29 AM
1OldDog
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They did mine about 4 months ago. I asked if they were going to remove the dash to do it and they said they do it from underneath (through?) the glove box. I couldn't detect any negative results or damage from the work. Hard to determine how long it took as I was having other work done too, but I did get a loaner.
Old 07-24-16, 10:38 AM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Finally had the airbag recall done by the local Lexus dealer here in Rochester. As I mentioned before I spent several sleepless nights obsessing about what could go wrong. I am happy to report that all is fine, I have now driven the car for a few days and everything works. They kept my SC430 for 4 days and gave me a brand new Lexus SUV as a loner. A totally nice car but not much fun to drive. Glad to have my baby back with no problems.
Old 07-24-16, 11:26 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Congrats -- You are lucky. I previously told my service writer I didn't want it done because no one is ever in the passengers seat and I worried about what might get screwed up on my 10 year old car -- not worth the risk. On a subsequent visit, he had the service done without asking me. Dealers love this repair because Lexus pays them the shop hour rate for pulling the dash but they go through the glove compartment which takes a fraction of the time they get paid for. My dealer left the wood grain above the glove compartment loose, requiring a return trip for additional repair.

My service writer has done many favors for me over the years -- and save me a ton of money by working calling some repairs warranty, which was a stretch. I've watched his kids grow up. But this left a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 07-25-16, 05:30 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Sorry to hear that L did it without your authorization. However, this is a mandatory recall that L is forced to implement. The NHSTA monitors safety recalls like these.

So many people are in the same boat as you are, however the government is the government. Risks.

Hope that all is well with your SC.

Mine has some dirt that I cleaned up (which I was not happy about), so far everything’s working.

Old 07-25-16, 11:59 AM
doodles714
Driver

Brought my '02 in to local dealer for tpms reset and inquired about their airbag replacement procedure. Was told dash has to come our so I declined. Was not pressured to have the job done. They did a complete inspection of the car and couldn't find anything to try and sell me.
Old 07-25-16, 06:36 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by mandyfig
. However, this is a mandatory recall that L is forced to implement. The NHSTA monitors safety recalls like these.
Just to be clear, "mandatory/voluntary" only involves the mechanism by which the manufacturer initiates the recall -- it has nothing to do with the end consumer. In a mandatory recall, the NHSTA orders the company, often over the company's objection, to institute a recall. In a voluntary recall, the company institutes the recall on its own, without government involvement.

The bottom line of either recall -- voluntary or mandatory -- is that the company OFFERS to make a fix at no charge. The consumer still can elect not to have the work performed. If a consumer declines to have the work done, the manufacturer has no further obligation.

While it doesn't matter for the bottom line, Toyota stepped up and the airbag recall is voluntary. http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.c...section_id=639
Old 07-26-16, 10:31 AM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

My understanding is that if you are offered a recall and you decline to have the problem repaired you can kiss your insurance goodbye if later on you file a claim for an accident. In the case of an airbag that could be big $$$$$$. Am I correct?
Old 07-26-16, 07:13 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by Moonstruck
My understanding is that if you are offered a recall and you decline to have the problem repaired you can kiss your insurance goodbye if later on you file a claim for an accident. In the case of an airbag that could be big $$$$$$. Am I correct?
That depends on how your specific insurance contract is written.

But as against the manufacturer, the consumer's lack of repair could be seen as breaking the connection between the manufacturer's alleged negligence and injuries suffered by the owner such that the lack of repair becomes the proximate cause of injuries. The manufacturer would also have an assumption of the risk argument.

Bottom line: if you don't have the passenger's airbag repaired, don't drive with a passenger.
Old 11-21-16, 05:25 AM
BCT
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Has anyone still waiting for the airbag recall? I went to the dealer a few weeks ago, thinking that they have the parts, but apparently they did not. There was a mixed up on their end. So now I have been waiting patiently. I just called the dealer again this morning for an update, and I was told they are still waiting for the parts with no ending in sight. The dealer can not tell me an ETA.

Is it truly they do not have the parts, or they are trying to prolong this and hoping I will forget about it? It has been more than two years since they started this campaign. I can not believe they have not ramp up and produce the parts to replace these airbags.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
Old 11-21-16, 07:00 AM
doodles714
Driver

Dealers get paid very handsomely by the factory to perform warranty work. No reason for them to want to turn you away so it must be due to a shortage of available replacement parts.
Old 11-21-16, 10:07 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm with doodles714, the dealerships gets paid big money & this is a worldwide recall now. Takata supplies bags for so many car companies and with Honda & Toyota probably being their biggest, thats alot of bags to replace
Old 11-21-16, 11:37 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 851 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by BCT
Has anyone still waiting for the airbag recall? I went to the dealer a few weeks ago, thinking that they have the parts, but apparently they did not. There was a mixed up on their end. So now I have been waiting patiently. I just called the dealer again this morning for an update, and I was told they are still waiting for the parts with no ending in sight. The dealer can not tell me an ETA.

Is it truly they do not have the parts, or they are trying to prolong this and hoping I will forget about it? It has been more than two years since they started this campaign. I can not believe they have not ramp up and produce the parts to replace these airbags.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
I highly recommend you read all of the recall information in post 3, if you have not already...
Old 11-22-16, 02:16 AM
BCT
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I highly recommend you read all of the recall information in post 3, if you have not already...
Thanks Bgw70 ! I am starting to dislike the local dealer. From reading the pdf, they are supposed to disable the airbag and they did not even mentioned this when I was there nor on several phone calls. They did not even tell us that the front passenger seat should not be occupied.

Frustrating that it seems that we (the customer) knows more about this than the dealer. I am going to give them a call again tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Latest on my Airbag recall