Latest on my Airbag recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-16, 05:22 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default So far, so good

Originally Posted by BCT
Look like you got a good plan. Good luck, and do not forget to grab some coffee and snacks at the dealer before you heading home!
So far, I couldn't be happier with my passenger airbag recall. Dropped off the SC, picked up ES350 loaner, spent the day in the city, dropped off loaner, picked up SC and now I'm enjoying a fresh baked macadamia nut white chocolate cookie and cinnamon crunch coffee cake while I wait on traffic to thin a bit before heading back home to the country.

They went in under the dash and I was told it's pretty routine since they have done many. They were very confidence inspiring and other than a couple rogue fingerprints, I can't tell they've been in the car.

So far, so good!

StillLine
Old 12-17-16, 07:40 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

That's good to hear.
Old 12-17-16, 12:19 PM
pynky01
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the updates...gives me confidence in the corp.
Old 12-18-16, 11:41 AM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Harold57
That's good to hear.
Originally Posted by pynky01
Thanks for the updates...gives me confidence in the corp.
You're welcome. I was very impressed. Obviously, this wasn't their first airbag recall. If anyone in the Midwest is looking to have this done, and you're detail oriented with high expectations like me, I highly recommend Mungenast Lexus of St. Louis.

StillLine
The following users liked this post:
pynky01 (12-11-17)
Old 12-01-17, 12:53 PM
pynky01
Pit Crew

I was told by Sewell in Dallas that the airbags for the sc430 are not yet available....I thought I saw people who had their SC430 done already... any body have any updates...Thanks for all yall do on the forum.... it is really a lot of help. Merry Christmas
Old 12-01-17, 07:12 PM
JDaveSC430
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I was told by Sewell in Dallas that the airbags for the sc430 are not yet available....I thought I saw people who had their SC430 done already... any body have any updates...Thanks for all yall do on the forum.... it is really a lot of help. Merry Christmas
I've had 3 updates done on mine in last couple of years; last one was an inflator installed a couple of months ago while in for routine service. It seems they keep updating their recall and airbag components. My airbag itself was done in my first update a year and a half ago.
I'm in Charlotte, NC and use Hendrick Lexus Northlake who is very good; I was a Sewell Dallas customer for many years until I moved from Dallas in 2004; they were always a really great dealer. Merry Christmas!
pynky01 (12-11-17)
Old 12-01-17, 09:17 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...it's been over a year since I've had mine done, but it was done @ Sewell Dallas
pynky01 (12-11-17)
Old 12-02-17, 06:14 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Not sure how everyone feels about class action lawsuits but here is the website.
i received a card in the mail about my Honda and it says the payout is $5k.
i have a feeling it will paid by reducing the cost of a new car by $5k.
if the payout is for a check...I will sign up for this one...because I have two Honda’s and one Toyota.
i normally don’t support these type of things because the only people who win are the lawyers. we get $10 and A more expensive car.
https://www.autoairbagsettlement.com/en/Toyota
Old 12-11-17, 05:48 PM
pynky01
Pit Crew

People keep referring to airbags ... did Lexus recall the airbag or the air bag inflator ... my info shows it to be the inflator ie an air bag repair not replacement...called Sewell Dallas couple weeks ago and the guy told me they have no parts and doesn't know when they will be available ..yes I gave him the VIN etc... I get another big postcard telling me death is nigh: "Your airbag is dangerous. It must be repaired...Your vehicle is affected by this urgent recall....defect in your vehicle could result in SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH..." Called number on postcard...Toyota Corporate told me the parts are available and they called Sewell for me...call transfer to Sewell... yes they show two such parts in stock and if I come to Dallas (2-3 hour commute) and they don't have the parts not to worry they can get them in a day or so... after reading this thread I will: 1. Call the morning before I take off to Big D to make sure they have the part and a loaner. (the postcard states: Your dealer MAY provide a loaner vehicle for you during the FREE repair; Sewell says they will provide me a loaner) 2. Remove all personal items; Take pics and videos inside and out of my vehicle 3. Ask for printed diagnostic before and after repair (not replacement) is done...4. Ask a pastor, priest, inman and rabbi to pray that all goes well... 5. Take pics of the loaner and record all dents etc 6. Verify I will get loaner with full tank; that my vehicle will be gassed up but not washed (they can clean up the mess they make on the inside) 7. Grab a handful of pastries as I check out... cross my fingers...8. Drive the car around in their parking lot to check for the small items: wheels turn, motor runs, a/c cools and heater heats; no shakin no rattlin and no rollin... mirrors, etc and etc before I sign anything... I was told by Sewell that it is a one to two day repair...I am good for 3 days in Dallas then I gotta go home...if my car is not ready...I cannot take the loaner home...so I thumb it back home...the pdf showed the cutoff to whether they will send vehicle hauler is 100 miles...ie you have to be further than 100 miles from a dealership before they will haul your vehicle...it is 150 miles to Dallas and 65 to Shreveport ... I suppose they would tell me to take it to Louisiana...which I refuse to deal with ..they just don't like Texans for some reason... I will initiate this circle jerk in January and be back on the forum with update... thanks again to the forum... thanks to our President and all hail to the SC430 .. my only child. Any add on recommendations etc from the forum will be greatly appreciated...
Old 12-11-17, 05:51 PM
pynky01
Pit Crew

jdave :: please would you list the three updates you mentioned ... thanks in advance...pynky01
Old 12-11-17, 08:45 PM
JDaveSC430
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

first was the airbag; second was a related inflation part that was added to the recall, third was another revision to change the inflator itself. all were recalled thru lexus dealer in charlotte nc. all no charge, loaner available or pickup service ( I use the pick up and delivery as charlotte traffic is heavy and it's a 60 mile round trip; they leave a loaner).
Old 12-12-17, 10:05 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

People keep referring to airbags ... did Lexus recall the airbag or the air bag inflator ... my info shows it to be the inflator ie an air bag repair not replacement...called Sewell Dallas couple weeks ago and the guy told me they have no parts and doesn't know when they will be available ..yes I gave him the VIN etc... I get another big postcard telling me death is nigh: "Your airbag is dangerous. It must be repaired...Your vehicle is affected by this urgent recall....defect in your vehicle could result in SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH..." Called number on postcard...Toyota Corporate told me the parts are available and they called Sewell for me...call transfer to Sewell... yes they show two such parts in stock and if I come to Dallas (2-3 hour commute) and they don't have the parts not to worry they can get them in a day or so... after reading this thread I will: 1. Call the morning before I take off to Big D to make sure they have the part and a loaner. (the postcard states: Your dealer MAY provide a loaner vehicle for you during the FREE repair; Sewell says they will provide me a loaner) 2. Remove all personal items; Take pics and videos inside and out of my vehicle 3. Ask for printed diagnostic before and after repair (not replacement) is done...4. Ask a pastor, priest, inman and rabbi to pray that all goes well... 5. Take pics of the loaner and record all dents etc 6. Verify I will get loaner with full tank; that my vehicle will be gassed up but not washed (they can clean up the mess they make on the inside) 7. Grab a handful of pastries as I check out... cross my fingers...8. Drive the car around in their parking lot to check for the small items: wheels turn, motor runs, a/c cools and heater heats; no shakin no rattlin and no rollin... mirrors, etc and etc before I sign anything... I was told by Sewell that it is a one to two day repair...I am good for 3 days in Dallas then I gotta go home...if my car is not ready...I cannot take the loaner home...so I thumb it back home...the pdf showed the cutoff to whether they will send vehicle hauler is 100 miles...ie you have to be further than 100 miles from a dealership before they will haul your vehicle...it is 150 miles to Dallas and 65 to Shreveport ... I suppose they would tell me to take it to Louisiana...which I refuse to deal with ..they just don't like Texans for some reason... I will initiate this circle jerk in January and be back on the forum with update... thanks again to the forum... thanks to our President and all hail to the SC430 .. my only child. Any add on recommendations etc from the forum will be greatly appreciated...
.....so they won't let you drive the loaner home, if they have to keep the car overnight ? When Sewell did my repair, I told them I had a trip planned that week & they told me to drive the loaner. I took it to New Orleans for 4 days...lol
Old 12-13-17, 09:57 AM
lugnuts
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have same issue with our 2004 SC - new cards in the mail this week and phone call too, suggesting we get airbag replaced. Issue is we are on Maryland's Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay with limited availability of stealerships. Closest is Sheehy in Annapolis, MD. Reviews of them on line from years prior suggest not to use their service. Sooo, question is, does anyone have better info on Sheehy or perhaps another recommended stealership in somewhat of the local area? Thanks...
Old 12-14-17, 08:23 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

My SC and IS are going in next Wednesday for the airbag recalls. I have been delaying it because of my work schedule, but it has to be taken care of. I was really impressed with the person I spoke to at Lexus of Melbourne and we worked out a plan for me to piggyback both cars and get them both done in the same day.