SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Latest on my Airbag recall

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-15, 12:04 PM
photalian
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mpezely
Seriously?? Your putting your feelings you have for the car above the safety of a family member or any passenger in your car?? I hope you rethink this. The Lexus dealerships have done a lot of these recalls, your car will be fine.
You just have to tell them to wear a full-face motorcycle helmet and kevlar vest if you want them to ride with you safely, apparently. I'd rather have no airbag installed, than a possible grenade hiding in the dash. The other solution is just to avoid ever hitting anything, or anyone else hitting you! Easier said than done.

I also don't want them to keep my car for a week while I'm stuck with some little NX suv or whatever rental they push on me. I'd take an RC though! I gotta get on the horn and probably just bite the bullet. I'll pass on the "free car wash" but I'll take the free gas fill.
Old 11-05-15, 01:30 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by photalian
I'm on the fence about even getting this fix done. I don't want the incompetent stealership monkeys touching my SC's nice limited-edition interior. Anyone know a way to simply disable the passenger airbag? No airbag is better than metal shards to the juggular. Years ago, most cars didn't even have passenger side airbags.

So ridiculous. It's not exactly a Lexus only quality issue - this recall covers a slew of car manufacturers that used that brand of airbags. Until I figure out what to do, I'll be driving my SC430 sans-passenger.
Go read the recall in post three and you may find the answer to your question about disabling the airbag.
See Q2 and A2.

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-10-15 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-06-15, 06:06 AM
JohnD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Received notice last week that the parts were finally in and had the fix done yesterday. Your situation seems par for the course. I'm just hoping that it doesn't have to be done again as I'm hearing on the news that some cars will have to go through it again. Dealer had the car for approx. 5 hours and went through the glove compartment instead of removing the dash to fix. Everything looks good. They gave a loner car and filled the gas tank. Good luck with yours.
Old 11-06-15, 03:57 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by photalian
I'm on the fence about even getting this fix done. I don't want the incompetent stealership monkeys touching my SC's nice limited-edition interior. Anyone know a way to simply disable the passenger airbag? No airbag is better than metal shards to the juggular. Years ago, most cars didn't even have passenger side airbags.

So ridiculous. It's not exactly a Lexus only quality issue - this recall covers a slew of car manufacturers that used that brand of airbags. Until I figure out what to do, I'll be driving my SC430 sans-passenger.
Is there any statistics about, the contrarian view.

(1) deaths/injures due to seat belts on! (stuck, due the impact)) could not unlock/release for escape/ejact....in an accident (fire? or any other situation)

(2) malfunction/non function of the airbags, the injuries caused due to the airbag blowups?(non-recalls) I remember incident that the airbag blew up at 10 mile speed (rolling) bump and the elderly died of the heart attack.
Old 11-06-15, 08:09 PM
sebtown
Driver

I've called my local dealer four times in the last year and I was always told the part was on back order. Two weeks ago I called and got a little more assertive. Interestingly they were able to locate the part within about a week. This week I had a new Lexus Hybrid loaner for a day while they corrected the airbag. My SC was returned with a full tank and freshly washed.
Old 11-07-15, 04:34 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

And the recall document in post three clearly states, on page five, Lexus (dealer) will provide you with a rental car, for up to three months (120days) if the parts are back ordered.

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-10-15 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-07-15, 05:48 AM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My SC is now safely in storage for the winter. I'll see what next May will bring, when I can start this process up again. As stated, I probably need to be more aggressive with the dealer. I just have little confidence in their ability to get it right, knowing how few SC's there are here in the Rochester area. How manny of you have gotten a 120 day rental when parts were not available?
Old 11-07-15, 10:05 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I bet very few because it is not advertised, just like the tank of gas which is included in the recall.

That recall document in post three is dealer information and was not intended for the general public...I pulled it from a subscriptrion service and this service provides all TSBs and recalls.

I wish I would have had a copy of the recall before I took mine in for air bag fix...

If a dealer told me the parts were back ordered, I would immediately ask for a rental car. At that point I bet the dealer would be on the phone to locate some parts.

Remember, you could also request the dealer pick up your car at no charge to you. They would sent out a truck to pick up your car...

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-10-15 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-07-15, 01:01 PM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good information to have. I am going to print it out and next spring if parts are not available I'll ask for my free rental. Let you know how it works out for me next May.
Old 11-07-15, 02:38 PM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2006-on?

Bgw70, if you still have that subscription service, is there a similar recall notice for 2006-up 430s that spells out the rental policy and tank of gas?

Thanks,
Jonas (not that other Jonas)
Old 11-07-15, 10:43 PM
Nevada
Driver School Candidate

The supply for the dealer that I am at has increased from two air bag inflators per week to four. They are making scheduled appointments for replacements but when an owner shows up with a concern for their passengers safety they are moved to the front of the list. Most of these cars are taken from storage to the dealer for this recall. It is amazing how many SC430s that see with less than 20,000 miles.
Old 11-08-15, 04:18 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jrfiero
Bgw70, if you still have that subscription service, is there a similar recall notice for 2006-up 430s that spells out the rental policy and tank of gas?

Thanks,
Jonas, I checked the website for 2006 and nothing has been updated...keep in mind, I am not on a Lexus website, it is a third party service.

I did find a document that explains how Lexus dealers are supposed to handle recalls and customers...
I am posting it here and back in post three
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 11-09-15, 07:03 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by jrfiero

Thanks,
The other Jonas, are you registered on the Lexus Owners? If not, please do so.

This will automatically find your VIN and you will receive a notice if your VIN is included in the recall. This is the safest way to be accounted for.

The biggest problem with the HONDA Airbag recall is that they cannot find the owners of the affected VINs. Tough job.

I have my Honda and Acura vehicles in their database because I joined the Honda-Acura Owners website. True as well for Toyota-Lexus Owners.

There is merit in being connected to the manufacturer.

Please get your account created with Lexus.
Old 11-10-15, 05:56 AM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All three of my Lexi are registered with Lexus - my 430 was originally sold in FL so clearly qualifies. I bought it in July and registered it with LexusDrivers then, plenty of time for them to notify me but they haven't.
Old 11-10-15, 06:39 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Weird...maybe yours is not in the list...

Quick Reply: Latest on my Airbag recall