SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Latest on my Airbag recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-15, 05:27 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by pvong713
So shouldn't the dealer give u a rental car until the parts come in? What happens if this is your daily vehicle I mean it's the manufacture fault for this delay. Either your insurance should cover this or Lexus for free rental til parts come in. =)
Post number 3 includes the official recall, if you read it, you will answer your own question.

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-10-15 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-14-15, 06:05 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

I just had my airbag recall done on my 2002. I really only have one local Lexus dealer, so I couldn't "shop around" to find one who would use the Glovebox method for the repair. My Lexus dealer said they always do the full dash removal method to change out the airbag.

I did get a loaner car, but had problems when I went to pick up the car. The "kids" who work in the back and do the car washes apparently failed to lower my antenna when they put it through the "thrashing machine" car wash, and it tore my antenna off. The dealer quickly replaced the antenna with a new one (which was in retrospect probably a good deal for me, since mine was 13 years old and probably ready to wear out any time). After I took off (I was in a bit of a hurry), I noticed that the "kids" who clean their car had wiped all of my wood grain down with a dirty rag that had left a god-awful yucky film over all the wood parts. I next noticed greasy fingerprints on my black dashboard trim (from the service guys when they took the dash off, I'm sure). And to top it off, I realized that I had not received the Full Tank of gas called for in the Service bulletin.

I found time the next day to bring the car back to Lexus to resolve all of the issues, and was sure to give them my thoughts on the quality of their car wash crew. They did step up and got the interior nice and clean and gave me the full tank of gas.

I think I'll be declining the complimentary car washes in the future...
Old 10-17-15, 09:40 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by bviverette
They have yet to confirm they can even get parts here at Northside Lexus in north Houston. They are currently "looking into it". Bummer. At least we have some spring season left. We hope.

I haven't geo-located the 'already fixed' responses, but we seem to be way down on the list....

Bill
I had my inflator replaced at north side back on November 14th.
Old 10-19-15, 06:52 AM
bviverette
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bviverette
They have yet to confirm they can even get parts here at Northside Lexus in north Houston. They are currently "looking into it". Bummer. At least we have some spring season left. We hope.

I haven't geo-located the 'already fixed' responses, but we seem to be way down on the list....

Bill
Okay, so they have a limited number at Northside Lexus in North Houston. Just in time for fall!
Old 10-20-15, 01:07 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonstruck
I actually go to Florida for the winter, and have been thinking of driving the SC430 down to Naples, just to have the work performed by a dealer with more experience with SC430's, than the dealer here in Rochester, who may never have performed a recall fix on our cars. If parts are not available here they may also not be available in Naples, even though Florida is a priority state. Probably would de worth a phone call.
You must go to Germaine in Naples, a great dealership that works on many SC's
Old 10-20-15, 03:26 PM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Trolley, Germaine Lexus is right around the corner from our condo on Wiggins Pass Road. I called them last week to see if they have parts for the fix, I was told by the service manager that they have no idea when they will have parts available. No point in putting the extra miles on my SC if I can't be sure they have the parts available.
Old 10-20-15, 05:38 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

If you read the recall, you will see that you have options, if you prefer to continue driving the car...see post 3

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-10-15 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-26-15, 07:13 AM
bviverette
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 2007 was included

I just read the PDF in post #3. While it appears to cover only 2002-2005 models, I received documentation for the recall for my 2007. Not sure why the difference, but they fixed my 2007 by replacing the unit.
Old 10-26-15, 07:42 AM
Coleroad
Racer

I just heard last week that they expanded the recall again. It just keeps getting bigger and covering more cars.
Old 10-28-15, 10:17 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 413 Posts

I got my 07 inflater done last week in Southern Cal. Got a loaner for a week, a brand new nNX200, and the car wash but not the fuel.
Old 10-29-15, 01:26 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GmanSC
I got my 07 inflater done last week in Southern Cal. Got a loaner for a week, a brand new nNX200, and the car wash but not the fuel.
Did you say anything to them about not filling your car?
Old 11-05-15, 10:49 AM
photalian
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on the fence about even getting this fix done. I don't want the incompetent stealership monkeys touching my SC's nice limited-edition interior. Anyone know a way to simply disable the passenger airbag? No airbag is better than metal shards to the juggular. Years ago, most cars didn't even have passenger side airbags.

So ridiculous. It's not exactly a Lexus only quality issue - this recall covers a slew of car manufacturers that used that brand of airbags. Until I figure out what to do, I'll be driving my SC430 sans-passenger.
Old 11-05-15, 11:01 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by photalian
I'm on the fence about even getting this fix done. I don't want the incompetent stealership monkeys touching my SC's nice limited-edition interior. Anyone know a way to simply disable the passenger airbag? No airbag is better than metal shards to the juggular. Years ago, most cars didn't even have passenger side airbags.

So ridiculous. It's not exactly a Lexus only quality issue - this recall covers a slew of car manufacturers that used that brand of airbags. Until I figure out what to do, I'll be driving my SC430 sans-passenger.
Lol, I remember when seat belts were optional equipment.
Old 11-05-15, 11:31 AM
mpezely
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by photalian

Seriously?? Your putting your feelings you have for the car above the safety of a family member or any passenger in your car?? I hope you rethink this. The Lexus dealerships have done a lot of these recalls, your car will be fine.
Old 11-05-15, 11:45 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Mine got done November 14th 2014. There is no damage done to my car. If your that worried about damage take pictures beforehand. Like I said I had no problems, and mine was done very early in the recall.

Quick Reply: Latest on my Airbag recall