Back on SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-15, 05:46 PM
rfcpatrick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back on SC430?

Hello, everyone.

I am not new to SC430s though wanted to ask you few questions.

I can say I have experienced few different other cars in the past 6 years.
My first car 06' MBZ ML350 that I bought with 33k miles gave me so many troubles I couldn't handle.
When I went off to college, with my savings throughout high school and money I got from the sale of Mercedes, I got a 04' Lexus SC430 with 87k miles. Blue and tan!! With major Chicago traffic, SC was the only thing that I enjoyed. Sold it with 98k and a year of driving, to my friend, he still enjoys it and has 140k on it but he says he had to take care of few things: suspension parts, new injectors, timing belt. Though he mentions it cost him only 3.5k to run it over the 4 years and I was surprised. My 08' BMW X6 30d has been with me for almost 3 years and at 68k miles, I probably spent near 9k and new coil packs are needed in the near future so i gave up and want to get back on SC scene.

Sorry for the long intro. Recently I got a new job and even though I get paid more, I wasn't justified that I should spend so much money maintaining a German car. I was contemplating if I want a 2010 MBZ E350 coupe but I'd like to keep maintaining cost down and spend more on modifying one.
In Seattle area I am in, well entire Pacific Northwest. I have picked out a few SCs

2006 SC430 with 72k miles. Gray and black interior, dealer sold, $23k
2007 SC430 with 108k miles. Red and tan interior, private sale, $14.5k

I would like to keep it past 2006 model just because I like the rims better, tail lights look more appealing and would like to try the new 6 speed on it as when I had my 04 it was 5 speed.

My concern is that is 108k too high for a SC? Because to me it's a no brainier, a year newer, better color combo and more over almost 9k cheaper. But I am afraid if timing belt has been changed. My friend took a chance in a VW GTI with 110k miles and bought it but belt snapped on the way home. Pretty sure it's the last thing you want in your new car!

Also are there any advantages buying 06+ compared to 02-05 besides the obvious?

I really want to get back in the SC. I can't think that there is no car that can satisfy me like the SC, that luxury feel of a car and V8 (reliability too of course!)

Thank you!
Old 10-01-15, 05:56 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rfcpatrick
Hello, everyone.

I am not new to SC430s though wanted to ask you few questions.

I can say I have experienced few different other cars in the past 6 years.
My first car 06' MBZ ML350 that I bought with 33k miles gave me so many troubles I couldn't handle.
When I went off to college, with my savings throughout high school and money I got from the sale of Mercedes, I got a 04' Lexus SC430 with 87k miles. Blue and tan!! With major Chicago traffic, SC was the only thing that I enjoyed. Sold it with 98k and a year of driving, to my friend, he still enjoys it and has 140k on it but he says he had to take care of few things: suspension parts, new injectors, timing belt. Though he mentions it cost him only 3.5k to run it over the 4 years and I was surprised. My 08' BMW X6 30d has been with me for almost 3 years and at 68k miles, I probably spent near 9k and new coil packs are needed in the near future so i gave up and want to get back on SC scene.

Sorry for the long intro. Recently I got a new job and even though I get paid more, I wasn't justified that I should spend so much money maintaining a German car. I was contemplating if I want a 2010 MBZ E350 coupe but I'd like to keep maintaining cost down and spend more on modifying one.
In Seattle area I am in, well entire Pacific Northwest. I have picked out a few SCs

2006 SC430 with 72k miles. Gray and black interior, dealer sold, $23k
2007 SC430 with 108k miles. Red and tan interior, private sale, $14.5k

I would like to keep it past 2006 model just because I like the rims better, tail lights look more appealing and would like to try the new 6 speed on it as when I had my 04 it was 5 speed.

My concern is that is 108k too high for a SC? Because to me it's a no brainier, a year newer, better color combo and more over almost 9k cheaper. But I am afraid if timing belt has been changed. My friend took a chance in a VW GTI with 110k miles and bought it but belt snapped on the way home. Pretty sure it's the last thing you want in your new car!

Also are there any advantages buying 06+ compared to 02-05 besides the obvious?

I really want to get back in the SC. I can't think that there is no car that can satisfy me like the SC, that luxury feel of a car and V8 (reliability too of course!)

Thank you!
The miles of either are not an issue. I've seen SC430s with 300k miles that look and drive like new. I'm serious. You need an inspection if you want to be sure. There's a sticky on this forum for things to know about buying a 430. you can get a car with 20k miles on it that end up being a mess.
Old 10-01-15, 06:03 PM
rfcpatrick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rudyH
The miles of either are not an issue. I've seen SC430s with 300k miles that look and drive like new. I'm serious. You need an inspection if you want to be sure. There's a sticky on this forum for things to know about buying a 430. you can get a car with 20k miles on it that end up being a mess.
Hi, Rudy!
Thanks for a quick reply.
So, on provision of both cars being in a good shape, are you suggesting that it'd be better I save 8.5k and buy the one with 108k miles on it? And in case, if that SC with 108k miles haven't got a timing belt replacement, would you say it's better to get it done as soon as I get the car?
It's good to hear that SCs can easily get to 300k mark. Wouldn't expect it without spending the cost of the car in any modern Germans, especially if it's turbocharged (seems to be the trend these days in European cars)
Also, I am 24, turning 25 soon. I don't know why it has a stereotype for being an old mans car but anyone out there who is in 20s driving a SC around here?
Old 10-01-15, 06:10 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, Rudy!
Thanks for a quick reply.
So, on provision of both cars being in a good shape, are you suggesting that it'd be better I save 8.5k and buy the one with 108k miles on it? And in case, if that SC with 108k miles haven't got a timing belt replacement, would you say it's better to get it done as soon as I get the car?
It's good to hear that SCs can easily get to 300k mark. Wouldn't expect it without spending the cost of the car in any modern Germans, especially if it's turbocharged (seems to be the trend these days in European cars)
Also, I am 24, turning 25 soon. I don't know why it has a stereotype for being an old mans car but anyone out there who is in 20s driving a SC around here?
The timing belt should be done @ 90k miles. I'd make sure it was done or get it done if needed. I'll be honest. Though I wouldn't call it an old person's car, I don't see many 20 year old people driving them. I don't see 20 year olds driving new Mercedes SLs, Bentley GTs, RRs or BMW M Series cars either.
Old 10-02-15, 05:56 AM
Taysdad
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Hi, Rudy!
My SC430 now belongs to my 18 year old daughter.
She is the envy of all her college friends and is often told it is the coolest car ever.
Her biggest problem is saying no to everyone who asks to drive it.
Old 10-02-15, 03:50 PM
ogjohnsmit
Rookie

I’ve been looking for a month now and just pulled the trigger this week, I got a 2007 SC with 113,000 miles for $17k. My experience with my Lexus LX470 I purchased about a year ago and my recent SC purchase is it’s all about the owner and maintenance.

When I was out looking for my LX, I saw one with less miles than the one I purchased that looked like it was on African Safari for the last 10 years. The one I got wouldn’t look out of place in a new car showroom.

I’ve saw a 2007 SC with 70k miles that had two accidents, freshly repainted, (very noticeable) and looked like a homeless person lived inside it. Not to mention the top rattled and it didn’t sound quite right when downshifting at high rpms. On the 113k mile SC I just purchased, if someone rolled back the odometer to 13k miles, you’d never know the difference.

Anyway my two cents when it comes to a high miles Lexus, it’s all in who owned the car. Now if you’re talking German car, it’s basically disposable after 100k miles for sure and I wouldn’t take one if someone gave it to me, that is if I had to keep up the maintenance as part of the deal.
Old 10-02-15, 08:58 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ogjohnsmit
I’ve been looking for a month now and just pulled the trigger this week, I got a 2007 SC with 113,000 miles for $17k. My experience with my Lexus LX470 I purchased about a year ago and my recent SC purchase is it’s all about the owner and maintenance.

When I was out looking for my LX, I saw one with less miles than the one I purchased that looked like it was on African Safari for the last 10 years. The one I got wouldn’t look out of place in a new car showroom.

I’ve saw a 2007 SC with 70k miles that had two accidents, freshly repainted, (very noticeable) and looked like a homeless person lived inside it. Not to mention the top rattled and it didn’t sound quite right when downshifting at high rpms. On the 113k mile SC I just purchased, if someone rolled back the odometer to 13k miles, you’d never know the difference.

Anyway my two cents when it comes to a high miles Lexus, it’s all in who owned the car. Now if you’re talking German car, it’s basically disposable after 100k miles for sure and I wouldn’t take one if someone gave it to me, that is if I had to keep up the maintenance as part of the deal.
....I'll second ogjohn's thoughts ...my first Lexus was a Ls400, I sold it with 315k & it ran / looked brand new. I currently have a 2002 Sc with 224k, other than "regular maintenance items",I've only replaced the radiator,a/c compressor & alternator. I've done some mods (suspension,wheels,body kit,etc...), but the engine / drivetrain is all stock & running like new !!!
Old 10-03-15, 10:08 AM
rfcpatrick
Driver School Candidate

Wow, it seems like high mileage on SCs is no problem. Especially a SC with over 200k miles? Very impressive! Wouldn't have imagined a MBZ SLK or BMW Z4 getting there at all and if it did, with money I poured into maintaining one, I could have bought a new car instead
Old 10-05-15, 06:38 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

I can speak to the differences between the 2006 and earlier models. I've owned two post-2006 models and currently own a 2002.

Wheels: The 2002-2005 wheels are pretty ugly, but I discovered I could replace them with OEM Lexus G-Spider wheels (which look amazing on the SC430) for $930 via LexusPartsWorld. I like the G-Spiders WAY more than either the 2002-2005 or the 2006+ wheels, so if you simply factor another $930 into the purchase equation, you'll end up with the best looking wheels of any year (in my opinion).

Transmission: To be honest, I do not notice any difference between the 6-speed I had in my first two SC430s and the 5-speed I have in my current 2002 model.

Rear lights: I know the 2006+ went to LED tail lights, but I honestly am perfectly fine with the 2002 tail lights. Maybe if I followed my car at night more often, my answer would be different

Interior changes: I do like the electro-luminescent gauges in the 2006+ models quite a bit better than the "standard" gauge cluster in the 2002, but this definitely wasn't a show-stopper for me buying the 2002.

Intangibles: As everyone has noted, the SC430 (in any year) is an amazing, reliable luxury car. I personally enjoy the look on people's faces when I tell them my car is 13+ years old (it looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor). The styling was virtually unchanged through the years (a testament to how well styled the car was in the first place), and the design has aged amazingly well in my opinion. I really believe as the years pass, this car will become more and more collectible/desirable, and owning the first model year (2002) will be a very good investment I think.

Price: I paid $16,200 for my 2002 last month. It's in immaculate condition, with 44K miles. I paid $700 to have the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, idler bearings, etc. replaced at my local trusted independent shop. I paid $933 for new G-Spider rims and $850 for new Michelin AS/3s. I now have a car that is virtually brand new, which will provide me with many years of reliable luxury service, and I have under $19k invested (about the cost for a new Hyundai Elantra).

Good luck on your hunt!