SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

My 2002 has arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-15, 06:06 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Default My 2002 has arrived!

Well, I've rejoined the ranks of SC430 owners! After previously owning and trading two SC430s (a 2006 and a 2009 Pebble Beach), I was really missing the little convertible. After a long, nation-wide search (via Autotrader/CarGurus/etc.), I found the perfect SC430 for me. It's a 2002, silver over black, with 44K miles on the clock and a great 2-owner history.

The car was located in Yakima Washington (1500 miles from my home in Nebraska), but fortunately I was able to have my son (who just moved from Seattle back to Omaha) tow the Lexus back behind his U-Haul. It just arrived late last night, and I'm finally getting a chance to give it a good look over (buying a car sight unseen is stressful!).

So far, it looks pretty good. No body damage that I can detect, interior is nearly perfect, everything works perfectly. I'll give it a full hand-washing/detailing today to really know for sure how nice the paint is, but it looks like it will clean up great.

I got what I feel is a great deal on the car. The previous owner had traded it in on a Honda Pilot to the Honda dealer in Yakima back in June, and the Honda dealer (I believe) didn't quite know how to market the car. They started out around $20K, and kept lowering the price until I snatched it up at $16,200. The previous owner (who I was able to speak to) only put around 4K miles on the car in the past 9 years, but was meticulous with the oil changes each year and kept the car in a garage.

So now all I have to do is get the car brought up to current on servicing, get some new nice rims to replace the "Pie Plates," and drive her. The timing belt/water pump, idler bearings, serpentine belt, etc. have never been replaced, so I purchased the whole kit via Amazon and will be taking the car to my local trusted Independent shop this week. I'll probably go ahead and have all the fluids flushed and replaced at the same time.

I think I'm going to order the G-Spider rims today (roughly $1000 total), and will replace the 10-year old tires with some new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s (non run-flat, of course).

Thanks to all on the forum for the great info regarding this spectacular automobile!
Attached Thumbnails My 2002 has arrived!-2002-lexus-sc430.jpg  

Last edited by riknchar; 09-21-15 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Added a photo of my new 2002 SC430
Old 09-21-15, 07:24 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a great deal, good luck bro!
Old 09-21-15, 11:01 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Congrats Rick and welcome back to the SC world!

I was just up in Omaha last week! Stayed at the Embassy in LaVista, what a nice place!
It was sure was nice to receive that GREAT Midwest hospitality and drive out of the city into the country!
Old 09-21-15, 02:28 PM
JDaveSC430
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
Well, I've rejoined the ranks of SC430 owners! After previously owning and trading two SC430s (a 2006 and a 2009 Pebble Beach), I was really missing the little convertible. After a long, nation-wide search (via Autotrader/CarGurus/etc.), I found the perfect SC430 for me. It's a 2002, silver over black, with 44K miles on the clock and a great 2-owner history.

The car was located in Yakima Washington (1500 miles from my home in Nebraska), but fortunately I was able to have my son (who just moved from Seattle back to Omaha) tow the Lexus back behind his U-Haul. It just arrived late last night, and I'm finally getting a chance to give it a good look over (buying a car sight unseen is stressful!).

So far, it looks pretty good. No body damage that I can detect, interior is nearly perfect, everything works perfectly. I'll give it a full hand-washing/detailing today to really know for sure how nice the paint is, but it looks like it will clean up great.

I got what I feel is a great deal on the car. The previous owner had traded it in on a Honda Pilot to the Honda dealer in Yakima back in June, and the Honda dealer (I believe) didn't quite know how to market the car. They started out around $20K, and kept lowering the price until I snatched it up at $16,200. The previous owner (who I was able to speak to) only put around 4K miles on the car in the past 9 years, but was meticulous with the oil changes each year and kept the car in a garage.

So now all I have to do is get the car brought up to current on servicing, get some new nice rims to replace the "Pie Plates," and drive her. The timing belt/water pump, idler bearings, serpentine belt, etc. have never been replaced, so I purchased the whole kit via Amazon and will be taking the car to my local trusted Independent shop this week. I'll probably go ahead and have all the fluids flushed and replaced at the same time.

I think I'm going to order the G-Spider rims today (roughly $1000 total), and will replace the 10-year old tires with some new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s (non run-flat, of course).

Thanks to all on the forum for the great info regarding this spectacular automobile!
Congratulations; it's a beauty and a great deal! I have the same year, paint and interior color. I have the TRD VIP chrome wheels as originally installed by the dealer when the one owner before me bought the car.
Have had the car 4 years and no issues; love it and now have 60K; good luck and many years of happy driving and waxing!
Dave
Old 09-21-15, 03:01 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

This is the bestest move! G Spiders with Michelins!

Congratulations on a very good find.