SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

In retrospect, what would decide?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-15, 07:28 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
My preference is 06+. My Red/Ecru 2008 with 60,000 miles is my baby. It gets compliments almost every time I take it out.
your car looks incredible! No wonder all the compliments!
Old 09-21-15, 07:58 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

2006+ biggest practical upgrade in my opinion are the HID HEADLIGHTS. If you don't intend to drive it at night then it doesn't matter.

We took ours out for a ride last night. It was an 82 degree clear night. Dropped the top and drove out to the beach for a late night hamburger. Life is great.

Attached is security camera picture of the SC in our driveway this morning.
Attached Thumbnails In retrospect, what would decide?-image.png  
Old 09-21-15, 06:46 PM
ogjohnsmit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I pick it up on Wednesday in CA, its a 2002 with 30k miles for $21k and it looks like the original owner had nothing else better to do except take the car in for service at Lexus of Beverly Hills an exorbitant amount of times for a car with only 30k miles? The timing belt was even changed at 23k miles??? Ha! it was driven only 2k miles a year, this is exactly what I was looking for;
Attached Thumbnails In retrospect, what would decide?-042fafb3fb7740e0b8d1e24b2cef2c12.jpg   In retrospect, what would decide?-785bca928daa4578b21286e6c2eb8986.jpg   In retrospect, what would decide?-carfax1.jpg   In retrospect, what would decide?-carfax2.jpg   In retrospect, what would decide?-carfax3.jpg  

Old 09-21-15, 07:43 PM
ogjohnsmit
Rookie

I just thought of something funny, judging from the service record on Carfax, they serviced the vehicle so they could continue their drives to service the vehicle..
Old 09-22-15, 09:24 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by ogjohnsmit
Well I pick it up on Wednesday in CA, its a 2002 with 30k miles for $21k and it looks like the original owner had nothing else better to do except take the car in for service at Lexus of Beverly Hills an exorbitant amount of times for a car with only 30k miles? The timing belt was even changed at 23k miles??? Ha! it was driven only 2k miles a year, this is exactly what I was looking for;
Nice find! I just bought a 2002 from Yakima WA -- mine has 44K miles, but no where near the perfect service history yours has. I'm having the timing belt/water pump/etc. changed now. I did get mine for $16,200, but by the time I'm done refreshing all the service, I'll be closer to $18-19K. I'm still pretty happy with mine, but you really found a gem!
Old 10-01-15, 01:36 PM
ogjohnsmit
Rookie

So change of plans, I was just about to book my flight to do the paperwork on the SC in CA when the sales person texted me stating they were not going to honor our original deal because of the local high demand for the car. They dropped the price a bit to compensate for my shipping and travel costs and then went back on that deal. I thought it was just BS on top of the huge hassle it is buying a car remotely sight unseen out of state so I just said give it to the next person in line.

So I ended up on the opposite end of the spectrum, at first I was going for an older SC with fewer miles (2002 with 30k miles for $22k) and what I got is an SC that’s newer with higher miles (2007 with 110k miles for $17k).

I’ve been checking every day, like 5 times a day for new local SC listings. One popped up at the same local Lexus dealer where I purchased my 2004 LX470 and from my experience with this dealer, they don’t put junk on their lot. My LX was in near show room condition inside and out, drove like new, and had meticulous (one owner) service history documentation at that Lexus dealership. The SC was a 2007 and sure it had over 100k miles, but if it’s anything like the LX I purchased from them, then it’s worth taking a look at.

So I went to the Lexus dealership first thing in the morning and just like my LX it was near perfect aside from a few rock chips on the front bumper. The service history (one owner) was all local Lexus dealership documented since day one and yes the timing belt was changed at the 90k service interval. It was the color I wanted with the Camel interior too.

I inspected it inside and out, no mismatched panels, no leaking oil, all original paint. I took it for a test drive on local roads and the freeway and everything was quiet and tight with no road vibrations. A few of the SCs I test drove had a little rattle in the convertible top and a little shimmy in the steering. I even hit the speed bumps pretty hard to see if I could shake up any suspension issues. I reviewed the Carfax and detailed Lexus service history, twice and three times and all looked good.

I made a counter offer but the sales person stated their internet pricing is rock-bottom so no price break. They actually had the car for a few months but were waiting on parts from Lexus for the airbag recall before they could sell it.

Anyway here are a few of the dealership photos, I pick it up in about an hour, the wife wants to drive it home but what am I going to do?
Attached Thumbnails In retrospect, what would decide?-dce7d173dcbd46a48e76f8e28e72ef0b.jpg   In retrospect, what would decide?-46cf9d5a5eb94eb79671eeaa75f6ea7b.jpg   In retrospect, what would decide?-788bb74f61db4e688d456eff8f9ea6a6.jpg   In retrospect, what would decide?-841ccda36b114ef192fc41a4ed70cacd.jpg   In retrospect, what would decide?-a869efe9dba54ecba7a3c57854d4761c.jpg  

Last edited by ogjohnsmit; 10-01-15 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-01-15, 04:33 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Sweet looking car and a good deal!!!
Old 10-01-15, 08:56 PM
SaintLexus
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone here own a Honda S2000? I've been wanting to get an SC430 since I know the durability of these lexus' are rock solid and same as Hondas...but from what I've read the S2000s are one fun car to drive. Sorry to throw this one in! But a feedback would be helpful.
Old 10-02-15, 11:44 AM
ogjohnsmit
Rookie

Guys, I’m sold on the SC and I don’t think I’d change a thing about it. I drove to work this morning with the top down and it was a sweet ride. Even cruising at 80 mph on the freeway was still pleasant with very little wind turbulence. It’s not all the drama of my M5 but a smooth and quiet delivery of power and luxury.

If you want all the drama of sports car you can toss around and feel every little bump and have to be at 6,000 rpm to make it move, than this is not the car for you..
Old 10-02-15, 02:52 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Congratulations on your new acquisition ogjohnsmit! Enjoy. This is a great time of year to have a convertible!
Old 08-29-19, 08:56 PM
HerbTarlek
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I picked this up at auction last week for $5500 + $500 fees and taxes.
2006 with 144k miles
Very well maintained (saw the sticker showing belt was done at 92k miles) CA car
Has a couple small scratches in the clear, but you've got look for them, interior was very good shape.

I didn't have the ability to drive it, just start & inspect, but everything purrs like a kitten.
Power locks are having an issue & I only got one key. But I've got a guy that's a former Toyota / Lexus tech who currently teaches college & is reasonable for repairs if I'm in no hurry.
I'm going to have him full service it & fix the locks. I've already got the keys with built in fob to try and pair.

I don't worry about Toyota miles...I've got 280k on my Tundra that pulled it home. For $6k it's a really fun car that I don't care if I ever sell, I've got to think we've bottomed out at that number for V8, hardtop convertibles....especially ones with the build quality & reliablity to a Toyota / Lexus.

Last edited by HerbTarlek; 08-29-19 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-29-19, 10:01 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 332 Likes on 266 Posts

LOL. Its funny reading all of these. Mine is a daily driver in SoCal. I paid 8k for a 6S6 Midnight Pine Pearl with Saddle interior and some minor front and rear bumper damage with a total of 100461 miles. I knew the Lexus brand and I knew the 3UZ engine and tranny is good for 300k.

$3900 more for fresh paint and ceramic coating and she is fine. I didn't expect perfection for a 17 year old car.

She had brand new tires, water pump and timing belt just installed. New air filter and no DTC's. Didn't know about this forum yet so went into the deal kind of blind.

I have replaced all of the cooling lines and vacuum lines except one I forgot to order. One RH Sliding Top Motor too. Suspension is next. Front and rear.

KBB says I have already spent more on her than she is worth. Thats OK. Everday is a top down blast. 😎 And since I plan on driving her everyday for many years to come, I can overlook the eventuality of rock chips, (every one a stake through my heart!) door dings (none yet. Yea. LOL) etc, because in the end, its still just a car. Albeit a very nice one. LOL.
Paul

Last edited by Raven01750; 08-29-19 at 10:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HerbTarlek (08-30-19)
Old 08-30-19, 07:55 AM
HerbTarlek
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven01750
LOL. Its funny reading all of these. Mine is a daily driver in SoCal. I paid 8k for a 6S6 Midnight Pine Pearl with Saddle interior and some minor front and rear bumper damage with a total of 100461 miles. I knew the Lexus brand and I knew the 3UZ engine and tranny is good for 300k.

$3900 more for fresh paint and ceramic coating and she is fine. I didn't expect perfection for a 17 year old car.

She had brand new tires, water pump and timing belt just installed. New air filter and no DTC's. Didn't know about this forum yet so went into the deal kind of blind.

I have replaced all of the cooling lines and vacuum lines except one I forgot to order. One RH Sliding Top Motor too. Suspension is next. Front and rear.

KBB says I have already spent more on her than she is worth. Thats OK. Everday is a top down blast. 😎 And since I plan on driving her everyday for many years to come, I can overlook the eventuality of rock chips, (every one a stake through my heart!) door dings (none yet. Yea. LOL) etc, because in the end, its still just a car. Albeit a very nice one. LOL.
Paul
This is my thought as well...I bought it for a FUN CAR, not an investment, not a show car. It's gonna eat some money maintaining a 13-40 year old car, no doubt, but that's to be expected in anything you own. As I tell my brother about tractors (cars or trucks as well) 'They're all horses...they all eat, they all go to the vet. If you thought the price of the horse was the end of spending money on it...you're in for a miserable experience '.

I think most of us know that these cars are never going to be F40 Ferrari type investment. But I do think I can spend $1000 a year for gas, maintenance, & insurance on average & have a solid, reliable, fun to drive car for the next 10-30 years. In an age where the average car payment is $500+ a month...that's cheap *** fun.

God bless the free market & God bless our friends in Japan for building some spectacularly fun & reliable vehicles.

Enjoy your baby!
Absred02 (04-16-23)
Old 08-30-19, 08:07 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Where I work, I can see where the 2003 SC is parked (the SC came with me today). I never tire glancing at it. However my itch to get an LS is growing stronger everyday.
HerbTarlek (08-30-19)
Old 08-30-19, 08:18 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

mandyfig

I can assure you that the LS/SC combo is hard to beat.

Dennis

Quick Reply: In retrospect, what would decide?