SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Replaced headlight and now car won't start- please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-15, 07:41 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brett, have you actually tried to drive the car? Maybe it just needs a good "blowing out". Don't go far, but just out and back. Romp on it a time or two and "clear its throat" so to speak. Other than trying that, I am out of ideas.
Old 09-15-15, 08:35 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Helogadget
Brett, have you actually tried to drive the car? Maybe it just needs a good "blowing out". Don't go far, but just out and back. Romp on it a time or two and "clear its throat" so to speak. Other than trying that, I am out of ideas.
The car is misfiring aggressively and there is massive shaking of the engine. The throttle is also not always working so it would be dangerous to drive. Really dangerous. I have floored the throttle a couple times with wild sounds. Was just thinking I'd let her run for an hour to see if any codes comes up; perhaps the lack of codes is because car not running long enough. But seriously, I feel if I drive the car and pushed her age would blow up..
Old 09-16-15, 07:02 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a newly installed engine on insurance company dime, right? Didn't you say the insurance company said there was some warranty on it? If so it nay be time to ask them for help and have a Lexus dealer look at it and diagnose the problem.
Old 09-16-15, 07:37 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FLYCT
This is a newly installed engine on insurance company dime, right? Didn't you say the insurance company said there was some warranty on it? If so it nay be time to ask them for help and have a Lexus dealer look at it and diagnose the problem.
Insurance won't do crap. But will call again and see..
Old 09-16-15, 07:43 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cam sensor wiring get knocked around while you worked?

Actually, just from your description of shaking and misfiring I'm thinking that the timing belt has jumped a tooth or two!
Old 09-16-15, 09:34 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default Is it the timing?

Originally Posted by kjcole
Cam sensor wiring get knocked around while you worked?

Actually, just from your description of shaking and misfiring I'm thinking that the timing belt has jumped a tooth or two!
Check cam sensor wiring last night and it seemed fine.

I'm going to check the engine timing. Here is the page of the rapair manual that shows how to do it. I guess I just check if marks are lined up? Please see below and advise..

Sorry is sideways! Do I just line these marks up?

Last edited by FLYCT; 09-16-15 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-16-15, 04:30 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default I think I found the problem!!

Just bought a repair manual and it suggested to check valve timing. Looked tonight and it's WAY off! I think I found the problem!! Here is a pic and a video will follow shortly!

Pointing to the white line that SHOULD line up

Repair instructions will need your help!
Old 09-16-15, 07:50 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

That's great news LexBrett. I hope that fixes your problem.
Old 09-17-15, 04:54 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

I see you pointing to the crank timing position mark. Do you have the cam covers off and are the marks on the cam sprockets lined up?

How many miles were on this replacement engine?

Also, if these marks do not line up, do NOT start the car again. You must do the timing belt replacement first.

BTW, been off the air for a few days because I was on vacation up in Omaha.

Last edited by Bgw70; 09-17-15 at 05:02 AM.
Old 09-17-15, 06:30 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I see you pointing to the crank timing position mark. Do you have the cam covers off and are the marks on the cam sprockets lined up?

How many miles were on this replacement engine?

Also, if these marks do not line up, do NOT start the car again. You must do the timing belt replacement first.

BTW, been off the air for a few days because I was on vacation up in Omaha.
Hey Buddy,
No I don't have the cam covers off yet. I don't know how to do that, so wil have to figure it out. Just purchased the second full repair manual and hope that shows the method. Volume 1 is diagnostics and Volume 2 is how to actually do repairs.

If you have reccomendations or references on DIY timing belt change, please let me know. I know there are some posts out there but I am yet to do my research.

Was just so happy yesterday to solve this mystery!! I'm thinking that the douch mechanic didn't tighten the crankshaft bolt to spec and it came loose as I dislodged the headlight? Or maybe they just didn't alight timing at all? It's just incredible how inept these people are. They extorted 2000k from me, broke the radiator, broke the AC, left O2 sensor with wires sticking out, and didn't propery adjust timing..

And yes.. Planning to go to small claims
Old 09-17-15, 09:26 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default Video of Timing

Hi All,
Here is a video of my valve timing that is off. I believe the douche mechanic didn't tighten to spec and it may have moved when I pulled out the headlight. Can I just loosen and adjust without going through the whole timing belt removal procedure?

Check out video and feel free to comment thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g12J...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-17-15, 11:48 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll have to make sure that the engine is at top dead center (TDC) meaning that you are at the top of the compression stroke for cylinder one (so the intake and exhaust valves are closed). Once you know that, you can check the timing marks on the cams (cam covers must be removed). Follow a manual as if you are replacing the timing belt if you've never done this. Remember that this is a 4-stroke engine.
Old 09-17-15, 01:04 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kjcole
You'll have to make sure that the engine is at top dead center (TDC) meaning that you are at the top of the compression stroke for cylinder one (so the intake and exhaust valves are closed). Once you know that, you can check the timing marks on the cams (cam covers must be removed). Follow a manual as if you are replacing the timing belt if you've never done this. Remember that this is a 4-stroke engine.
I have lots of questions! But I will wait to ask until I have done due dilligence, read the instructions in repair manual, and checked out youtube!
Old 09-17-15, 01:11 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Hi All,
Here is a video of my valve timing that is off. I believe the douche mechanic didn't tighten to spec and it may have moved when I pulled out the headlight. Can I just loosen and adjust without going through the whole timing belt removal procedure?

Check out video and feel free to comment thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g12J...ature=youtu.be
Brother Lex,
Do not take this the wrong way because I am not trying to be mean but do not attempt a timing belt change without someone who has done this procedure a few times. I did a write up on my timing belt change but let me tell you, this car was the most difficult I have ever done.

I think this was the 12th timing belt change I have done and would not want to do it again.

As for the crankshaft / harmonic balancer bolt, it has nothing to do with the belt jumping one notch.

Besides, we are only guessing the belt jumped timing...
Old 09-17-15, 01:23 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Lex, here is the link to my timing belt swap...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...bws-sc430.html

Quick Reply: Replaced headlight and now car won't start- please help!!