SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Best suspension set up

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-15, 07:28 PM
Cube
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best suspension set up

I couldn't find a collective thread with regards to suspension setups for the SC430. I was wondering, what is the best setup for our SC? I have read in a different thread where some members say to forgo lowered springs and get coilovers. How comfortable are coilovers on the SC? I know that coilovers are generally quite stiff with the bounce when going on uneven roads. The bounce of a coilover setup will seem quicker thus giving a so called bumpy ride when hitting the uneven surface. Whereas the lowered springs, will give a softer bounce but you can't get the height you wanted and finding the right shocks could be a pain.

Any thoughts and suggestions?
Old 09-05-15, 10:02 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

A good set of coilovers will not give you that bumpy ride. I've had colovers on multiple Lexuss and can say that I've liked it far better than stock. You can also do air ride which will be really comfortable and have height adjustability at the flick of a switch.
Old 09-09-15, 05:23 PM
V300Graham
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OEM dude, cannot beat it. I'm well able to hold off LS3 powered Holden Commodores (Vauxhall Monatro) on the Nurburgring and Mondello racetracks with OEM suspension.
Old 09-09-15, 06:18 PM
Cube
Rookie

Hats off to you, Graham. How do you find the height, dude? Do you still have OEM wheels or aftermarket? Updates of your SC in the picture thread. Im quite interested how it goes with aftermarket wheels.
Old 09-09-15, 06:21 PM
Cube
Rookie

I found your picture in your new thread.
Old 09-09-15, 10:00 PM
V300Graham
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cube
I found your picture in your new thread.
Hi Cube, I find her a bit high, but I much more value ability over looks. My car absolutely EATS anything on coilovers except on no expense spared German backroads that are like billiard tables, but one mid corner bump, and I'm ALL over them !! The rear roll bar upgrade conversion must be considered as it does roll a bit like a boat, and looks a bit insane to people in other cars, so that's about the only thing left on the wish list (maybe).

The loss of all round ability by ditching OEM suspension compromises the cars ability to react unexpected things.

And leave the traction control switched on too. I've turned mine off on dry days to help with gear changes etc but exiting fast corners and forgetting that mister traction control was not engaged is something that I would not like anyone to experience unless they have many acres of run off area.
The traction control works, it's a bit clunky and outdated, but it at this sage, I rely on it a lot.
Old 09-10-15, 06:48 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I have DGR Coilovers, TRD Front Sway Bars, TRD Rear Sway Bars, TunedParts Rear Rigid Bars, K-Mack Rear Camber Kit, and SPC Front Camber Arms. The setup rides extremely tight and responsive. Not too stiff....not bouncy at all. I have the coilovers set at 3 clicks from the firmest dampening setting which gives me the best overall feel.