SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Do most owners of SC430 have a second car or only the SC?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-15, 12:21 PM
LuvKaya
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do most owners of SC430 have a second car or only the SC?

I'm curious if any owners only have the SC430 or another car to drive. I will be purchasing this car as my main car since I am passing down the RL to my daughter. She will be away at college with the RL so I don't know what I would do.

We currently live in the DC area but not sure about snow and ice, since winter is fast approaching.

Any advice?
Old 09-01-15, 12:47 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

I live in Virginia also, but in Roanoke. I drive mine all year but not in the snow. It is terrible. It is flat where you live, you might be able to get away with it. If I have to get some where in the snow, I take the Subaru.
Old 09-01-15, 01:17 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not the best car in inclement weather.

The SC is also heavy, which makes it more difficult to control.
Old 09-01-15, 03:02 PM
slawless
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Same sentiment. MY wife has the SC. Its not just bad in snow it is god awful or quit frankly lt is immobile. That said I have never had snow tires for it. I would be curious to hear from people who have snow tires. Otherwise it should be a great daily driver.
Old 09-01-15, 03:08 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

MY 2002 is my daily driver and I used it during the snow here for the last two winters as I didn't have another car. I live in Chicago and we had a horrible winter two seasons ago. Everyone called it the Polar Vortex. 16 inches of snow in two days, and -36 degrees. Snow tires made a world of difference. No problems after getting some Blizzaks. Now we're newlyweds and scored a 2015 Mazda CX5 last December but my wife uses it as her daily so I still used the SC430. With the same snow tires, even though a milder winter, still no problems with the SC as my daily. No plans to change anything this year either.... due to empty pockets.
Old 09-01-15, 03:15 PM
LuvKaya
Rookie

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
MY 2002 is my daily driver and I used it during the snow here for the last two winters as I didn't have another car. I live in Chicago and we had a horrible winter two seasons ago. Everyone called it the Polar Vortex. 16 inches of snow in two days, and -36 degrees. Snow tires made a world of difference. No problems after getting some Blizzaks. Now we're newlyweds and scored a 2015 Mazda CX5 last December but my wife uses it as her daily so I still used the SC430. With the same snow tires, even though a milder winter, still no problems with the SC as my daily. No plans to change anything this year either.... due to empty pockets.
thanks for sharing. okay question because I just don't know. do you have to change snow tires in warm weather or keep them on all year long?

it will be my daily driver. unless I get on the bus, which I don't mind, until snow melts.
Old 09-01-15, 03:57 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Its my only drive car when I can put top down. My daily driver is a 2004 gx470
Old 09-01-15, 06:34 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought my SC430 with the intent of it being my daily driver. I have a LS460L that I also intended to be a daily but I built that up and showed it at SEMA 2014. Well the SC430 is being built right now for SEMA 2015 haha. So the car i intended to sell that I was driving everyday to work has become my forever daily driver hahaha
Old 09-01-15, 07:16 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I also live in Northern Virginia. I grew up in Michigan and am a confident driver in snow, with many years of experience. Having said that, I have never been so scared as driving the SC in the DC winter. As others have said, it is not that the car is simply bad in snow, it is dangerous. I remember one freak mid-day snow when they closed the federal government early and I was on a banked overpass and the SC did not want to track straight (slide off). It gets stuck with very little snow and a very mild incline. Taking the bus sounds good.
Old 09-01-15, 11:06 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvKaya
thanks for sharing. okay question because I just don't know. do you have to change snow tires in warm weather or keep them on all year long?

it will be my daily driver. unless I get on the bus, which I don't mind, until snow melts.
Yes, it's highly recommended to change your winter tires out when the weather starts to warm up. I lived in a one bedroom studio for about two years and stashed the extra set under my bed which raised the mattress about 6 inches higher than it should have been. Anyway, the rubber that is used on snow tires has a different optimal temperature when compared to all season or summer tires, from my understanding. With winter tires, the colder the temperature the harder the rubber will remain to give better traction. But as the weather warms up, the rubber softens and therefore wears much quicker when compared to all season counterparts. This is my understanding as it was explained to me by multiple tire shops. I have two sets of tires (and a larger condo with basement storage); winter and summer. Although, I now need to renew my winter tires as they are wearing thin as they were a set of hand me downs and running nearly 10 years old. But if you do intend to drive at all in the snow, get some dedicated snow tires. They will truly make a huge difference... but if of course if you feel uncomfortable with the idea of risking it, the bus is a smart choice if it fits into your routine. Not much in terms of public transport to my destinations so driving the SC was my only play.
Old 09-02-15, 04:00 AM
2ksoftail
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Light snow OK

I live in the NC Mnts. Any snow over 1/4" and the SC stays put, really hairy!!! If I lived in an area that had snow every winter, I would NOT have an SC as a daily driver......that being said I love that little car!!!!!
Old 09-02-15, 12:01 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Snow and ice are certainly a concern and I remember the days when all cars were rear wheel drive...how did we ever survive!

My daily driver is a civic hybrid to save the miles on the SC430. I would rather wear out the civic over the SC.
Old 09-02-15, 06:04 PM
actnup
Driver School Candidate

I have 3 other vehicles, I wouldn't drive my sc430 in the snow, because with snow comes salt roads then come rust
Old 09-03-15, 03:26 PM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Both the white and I have summer cares. I have the SC430 and Sue has an 87 Cadillac Allante. For a daily driver she has a Honda Fot and I drive a Toyota Sienna that also serves as our go to Florida car.
Old 09-03-15, 03:27 PM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a Honda Fit folks.

Quick Reply: Do most owners of SC430 have a second car or only the SC?