SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

OPINION: Would you have these dealer recommended repairs done?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-15, 09:49 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default OPINION: Would you have these dealer recommended repairs done?

Looking for some advice on whether to have some dealer recommended repairs performed.

But assume the following:

1. Want to have dealer do the repair (yes, cheaper elsewhere).
2. Dealer is generally honest and well-regarded, but like any dealer they will recommend any repair to make the car perfect.

Background:

I will probably keep this car another two or three years, or until the top breaks and it is too expensive to fix given the value of the car,

This is my daily driver -- probably 15K miles per year. Car is 2006 with 130,000 miles.

Car has been serviced at regular intervals with all recommended maintenance.

Car seems fine now -- no noticeable issues.

So here's the question -- which of these repairs would you do, and which would you defer given the age and longevity of the car? They were all suggested during an oil change.

1. Replace upper ball joint/control arm -- dealer says "worn" -- $907.66
2. Replace spark plugs (never done yet) -- $399.26
3. Brake system flush -- dealer says dirty -- $158.40
4 Replace radiator -- dealer says found coolant leak, although my garage never has a drop on the floor -- $917.86
5. Perform rear differential service -- dealer says fluid "dirty/contaminated"

I have my opinion on which should be done and which can either be delayed or are bogus, but I'm not saying cuz don't want to influence anyone's opinion. What do you think?
Old 08-28-15, 10:44 AM
rapyoke
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're in the District, Japanese Auto Care near Ballston metro is great for a second opinion:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/japanese-auto-care-arlington

1. Will make your car a little tighter in front, up to if that's worth $900
2. Will provide marginally better fuel economy, up to you if that's worth $400
3. Not needed
4. If you don't notice a leak and the fluid level doesn't change it's not necessary
5. Not needed

Last edited by rapyoke; 08-28-15 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-28-15, 10:48 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I do not know how you are with DIY car care. If you are a bit savvy mechanic, see my suggestions below. Most of these can be done DIY except for the suspension work, and this scope will require a re-alignment. This suspension work plus alignment are best left for a good shop.

Can be done at the dealer but a Toyota Dealer or a well known trusted Shop can do for less.

This is so easy to do. The plugs cost $10 per tops. I have written a DIY.

Unless you have contaminated brake fluid, not a priority. There is a bleeding DIY and it should suffice.

4 Replace radiator -- dealer says found coolant leak, although my garage never has a drop on the floor -- $917.86

A new Denso Radiator is $100 and you will need 2 gallons of coolant and they are easy to do.

This is a drain and fill. Easy to do. Fluid cost is $15 and will last you 3 drain and fill.

Save some money. And have the cool feeling of having done some work with your car.

Good luck anyway.
Old 08-28-15, 03:20 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I do not know how you are with DIY car care. If you are a bit savvy mechanic, see my suggestions below. Most of these can be done DIY except for the suspension work, and this scope will require a re-alignment. This suspension work plus alignment are best left for a good shop.

Can be done at the dealer but a Toyota Dealer or a well known trusted Shop can do for less.

This is so easy to do. The plugs cost $10 per tops. I have written a DIY.

Unless you have contaminated brake fluid, not a priority. There is a bleeding DIY and it should suffice.

A new Denso Radiator is $100 and you will need 2 gallons of coolant and they are easy to do.

This is a drain and fill. Easy to do. Fluid cost is $15 and will last you 3 drain and fill.

Save some money. And have the cool feeling of having done some work with your car.

Good luck anyway.
Excellent post, well thought out !
Old 08-28-15, 04:46 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I would change the sparkplugs since you have never done that, but I would find somewhere cheaper to get the work done

Would not bother with the radiator if you have seen no leaks, but I would keep an eye on that and monitor the coolant levels.

The rest I would not bother with.
Old 08-29-15, 09:00 AM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Try a Toyota dealer

As a point of reference, as part of the 30K service on my RX450h, the local Toyota dealership charged $28.69 for a "Brake Flush."
No Lexus dealers on Cape Cod, so I'll go to Toyota while the RX is still "new," then back to DIY if I don't get too old by then!

Arlington Toyota might not be too hard to get to.
Old 08-29-15, 09:17 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

All good suggestions and like the rest I have some opinions, which are worth what it is costing you to ask.

2. Replacing spark plugs as preventative maintenance just doesn't make sense to me. If the engine is running rough or gas mileage has gone down, then yes, replace the plugs. Unless they are worn, I don't see a reason for this. It is not like plugs will have a catastrophic failure (so rare it is not even worth mentioning). Then again, you've already got 130k miles on them and if you want peace of mind, go ahead. You definitely got your money's worth out of them.
3. Brake system flush, brake fluid will accumulate water over time and crud which can mess up your system. If the fluid is dirty, replace it but you can go almost anywhere to get that done and probably a fair amount cheaper than the dealer. Then again, if you are already getting maintenance done at the dealer, your time versus spending extra money is brought into the equation.
4. Ask them where they saw the radiator leak and begin monitoring it yourself. Once a radiator begins leaking (same with the water pump) it can go bad pretty quick and leave you with a ruined engine. There's a lot of plastic parts on today's radiators that don't age as well as the old metal parts. They crack or become brittle and fail.

Last edited by Harold57; 08-29-15 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-29-15, 09:32 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd definitely replace the spark plugs.

As for the radiator, just check the level every couple of weeks. Check both the resivor and open the cap and check the level there too(obviously when the engine is cold).

Brakes fluid, I'd have that changed next time you have a brake job done and not worry about it now.

Rear diff fluid, I'd change it next time you get an oil change. Its oil too, and breaks down with time/miles.

Control arms, does the car clunk going over bumps? Or have a dead spot in the steering? Or not track right/straight down the highway? That one is up to you and how you feel the car drives. Personally I think the dealer is trying to sell you on something you don't need there if you feel the car drives fine.
Old 08-29-15, 01:29 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Looking for some advice on whether to have some dealer recommended repairs performed.

2. Dealer is generally honest and well-regarded, but like any dealer they will recommend any repair to make the car perfect.

Background:

I will probably keep this car another two or three years, or until the top breaks and it is too expensive to fix given the value of the car,

This is my daily driver -- probably 15K miles per year. Car is 2006 with 130,000 miles.

So here's the question -- which of these repairs would you do, and which would you defer given the age and longevity of the car? They were all suggested during an oil change.

I have my opinion on which should be done and which can either be delayed or are bogus, but I'm not saying cuz don't want to influence anyone's opinion. What do you think?
Is this some king of joke? $400 for spark plugs? $1000 for radiator? $150 for brake fluid?

Don't know how you feel about DIY, but these are all very doable. Especially the spark plugs. Pennies compared to what you quoted. Let me know if you need help!
Old 08-29-15, 03:29 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake

Background:

I think a maintenance road trip is in order Ask Habious if he is game get parts and I will show up and help .

The radiator is easy the plugs are doable
Old 11-08-15, 08:45 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

So JohnnyCake, inquiring minds want to know what you decided to do. How about an update?
Old 11-18-15, 05:07 PM
Blackwing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds expensive to me. I do a lot of my own maintenance. If you can't do it, check around. You can probably find it cheaper somewhere else.
Old 05-06-16, 09:20 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by Harold57
So JohnnyCake, inquiring minds want to know what you decided to do. How about an update?
Definitely appreciated all of the opinions from everyone. Went in last week and did:
Rear differential service
Brake system flush
Oil change

They pressed me on the radiator but I haven't noticed any leaks and engine never runs hot. From this thread, that's a DIY rather than $900.

Oh, really pissing me off -- I had told them NOT to do the airbag recall at my last appointment. They did it this time without asking. This is a huge money maker for the dealership since they are paid by Lexus for many more hours than the job takes. Not a happy camper on that one, and didn't even take the car in on empty for the free fill-up.
Old 05-06-16, 07:37 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Wow, I'm amazed that they did that without consulting with you or at least informing you that they were going to do it. Did you confront them about that?
Old 05-07-16, 06:12 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by Harold57
Wow, I'm amazed that they did that without consulting with you or at least informing you that they were going to do it. Did you confront them about that?
Yeah, my service writer said he forgot that I didn't want it done and claims he thought he was doing me a favor. He is normally very cool and has saved me a ton of money by writing down stuff ("courtesy discount") or determining that something should be a (cough cough) "warranty repair." (My car is an 06).

He knows I've been wanting to have my seat belt retraction unit replaced for a long time, but it is hugely expensive so I haven't had it done. He offered to do it for free.

He's a good guy.

Quick Reply: OPINION: Would you have these dealer recommended repairs done?