SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Throttle Body Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-15, 08:53 PM
donaldp
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Throttle Body Warranty

Has anyone had their throttle body fail and replaced under the extended warranty that Lexus has provided for this component on all SC430's? If so, what were the symptoms of your TB failure and did your car throw a CEL?
Old 08-28-15, 02:25 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

I am sorry that I cannot answer any of your questions but I would guess you asking them because you must think yours I'd going bad.
What symptoms are you displaying?
Old 08-28-15, 08:34 PM
donaldp
Driver

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I am sorry that I cannot answer any of your questions but I would guess you asking them because you must think yours I'd going bad.
What symptoms are you displaying?
You are correct in your assumptions!!!

Engine power greatly diminished and no CEL. Cannot go over 50 mph after stopping at the grocery store.
Texted my trusted Lexus mechanic with the symptoms and he suggested the throttle body sensor.
Of course he has yet to see the car and is currently on vacation. From this conversation I learned that Lexus has extended the warranty coverage on all SC430 throttle body's.
Old 08-29-15, 02:25 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I saw your other post about how you do all of your own maintenance and wanted to know if this has been a gradual thing and if it is intermittent.
I was also wondering what goes wrong with the throttle body. It is fly by wire and a servo controls the "flap" opening and closing.
Have you ever sprayed it out?
Have you ever run chevron Techron in the tank or changed the plugs?
If you bring it to the dealer and they find that the throttle body is fine you will pay for the visit.
Old 09-01-15, 10:02 PM
donaldp
Driver

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I saw your other post about how you do all of your own maintenance and wanted to know if this has been a gradual thing and if it is intermittent.
I was also wondering what goes wrong with the throttle body. It is fly by wire and a servo controls the "flap" opening and closing.
Have you ever sprayed it out?
Have you ever run chevron Techron in the tank or changed the plugs?
If you bring it to the dealer and they find that the throttle body is fine you will pay for the visit.
I have done all the maintenance on the coupe since day one for a couple of reasons.
1. The interior is ecru and I don't want anyone in it who could possibly put greasy fingerprints on the ecru interior.
2. I have had damage to my prior SC(400) when brought to the dealer when a garbage truck backed into the rear bumper so I avoid the dealer at all costs.

As far as what goes wrong with the throttle body, I'm not sure. My mechanic suspects the TB sensor based on our texting conversation of the symptoms and no CEL. He said the solution is to replace the entire TB when there is a problem with it.
I have never sprayed a cleaner on the TB in the coupe but have done so in my Audi S5.
Never have run any additives in the tank or changed the plugs yet. I just hit 100,000 miles two weeks ago and have to check the manufacturer's recommendation for plug change.
As far as paying in the event the TB is good, I'm not sure. My customer service rep has been at my dealer for 20 years and he knows how picky I am about leaving the car there so he has already said that my mechanic will run a diagnostic test while I wait. This seems quick and easy to me so I would suspect no charge if the TB is not the problem.

My mechanic will return next week and since the first problem the car has been driving perfectly so I'm uncertain what will be discovered next week when I bring it in.

I will update the form when I know more.
Old 09-02-15, 04:38 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I may be completely wrong but it sure seems that new spark plugs and a TB cleaning, to include spraying the sensor, may correct the issue.

They will certainly figure it out for you, let us know! ;-)
Old 09-03-15, 09:10 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by donaldp
You are correct in your assumptions!!!

Engine power greatly diminished and no CEL. Cannot go over 50 mph after stopping at the grocery store.
Texted my trusted Lexus mechanic with the symptoms and he suggested the throttle body sensor.
Of course he has yet to see the car and is currently on vacation. From this conversation I learned that Lexus has extended the warranty coverage on all SC430 throttle body's.
I have not heard of the Throttle Body extended warranty, but will check it out.