SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Antenna Failure? Just Disable It!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-15, 05:47 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Antenna Failure? Just Disable It!

As many SC430 know, the telescopic antenna has a tendency to break and/or fail.

The motor on my antenna just broke (again) on my 2002 model, and instead of fixing it, I simply paid $60 to have a mechanic permanently disable the "telescopic" function of the antenna.

The mechanic got the antenna all the way down, and then unplugged the power cable to it. It no longer extends when I turn on AM or FM radio.

I lost nearly all AM reception (which I didn't' need anyway), and my FM reception is reduced to about 60% of previous performance. The reality is that unless I'm trying to listen to non-local, distant FM stations, most of the time FM reception works good enough (albeit not perfect) with the antenna entirely collapsed. And it looks better too! Nothing says "retro" quite like a telescopic antenna!

There's another thread on here outlining with pictures how to disable the antenna from going up and down.

Just wanted to share this.
Old 08-28-15, 05:54 AM
Cube
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do you think is the reason for it to break? Is it because of the motor seizing up or antenna getting stuck due to the lack of grease?
The following users liked this post:
Nusbaum (11-16-21)
Old 08-28-15, 10:52 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Do the stubby conversion! Stop the telescoping antenna! So outdated...
Old 08-28-15, 03:17 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jasone36
As many SC430 know, the telescopic antenna has a tendency to break and/or fail.

The motor on my antenna just broke (again) on my 2002 model, and instead of fixing it, I simply paid $60 to have a mechanic permanently disable the "telescopic" function of the antenna.

The mechanic got the antenna all the way down, and then unplugged the power cable to it. It no longer extends when I turn on AM or FM radio.

I lost nearly all AM reception (which I didn't' need anyway), and my FM reception is reduced to about 60% of previous performance. The reality is that unless I'm trying to listen to non-local, distant FM stations, most of the time FM reception works good enough (albeit not perfect) with the antenna entirely collapsed. And it looks better too! Nothing says "retro" quite like a telescopic antenna!

There's another thread on here outlining with pictures how to disable the antenna from going up and down.

Just wanted to share this.
that's great info to know!
Old 06-11-17, 10:10 AM
johnnyocho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know how to disable it? I would be fine with just getting it to go down all the way.
Old 06-11-17, 12:15 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Once mine failed to retract, I just removed the whole mast using a button combination on the radio (will link directions). Soon after I replaced with a fake antenna for style which did not require tearing down the trunk.

The other option if you don't feel like swapping to something more stylish is to to unplug from harness itself. This means removing only the right part of the trunk liner and disconnecting the power harness. You will only have to remove the trunk carpets, three plastic retainers on the trunk tool tray, three 10mm bolts, a few retainer clips, and one T40 torx bolt under the rubber grommet. Then you can bend the carpeted wall out of the way to access the trunk motor. Unplug the harness and you're good to go.

Another option that I just thought about, would be possibly to just remove the Antenna fuse? Haven't tried that route, but should work also to keep the antenna in the down position at all time. Of course, this is all based on the fact that your antenna can go all the way down (which was not the case with mine). Check out the two links and file I've attached.

1. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ns-please.html
2. Three parts via YouTube.. although overkill in my opinion. Read the attached pdf first.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
sc_antenna replacement.pdf (50.9 KB, 317 views)

Last edited by ShawnOk; 06-11-17 at 12:26 PM.