SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Under-powered SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-15, 10:25 PM
SC430fun
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
I leave mine in power mode. Throttle response seems better, less insensitive. Gas mileage never seems to change much (22.4 - 22.6 mpg) regardless of setting.
Same here in my 06.. I leave it in power, and these cars do remember your driving style. When I drive like an old woman, the car is not as responsive, even when in power mode, and the "dead zone" on the gas pedal almost seems to grow almost another inch. When I drive it briskly, the trans (in power mode) holds gears longer, even in traffic. The VSC drives me insane, and from time to time, ill spin the tires making a right turn from a stop, and other times, it cuts the power to the engine when I am speeding onto an uphill freeway ramp and have to merge fast.. I usually always just turn it off, and keep that in mind when driving.

I test drove a lot of these cars, SC400's, and 2002-2009 SC430's, plus Audi TT, Nissan 370Z, SL550, BMW, etc.. The only car that came close to my SC430 with build quality for the interior, is the SL550, but the rest of that car was a POS compared to this SC430 I bought. The interior was nicer than just about everything else in this price range - The Nissan was a joke and plastic bits were deforming and paint rubbing off parts of the dash, and while the Infiniti was better it was not much.

I found that the 02-05 SC430's were all pretty much the same when I pushed them, but 06 and later were noticeably faster due to the 6 speed. I was looking at a blue 04 with F sport package (not many around I guess) and it had different seats that were very sporty that I loved, but I went for the newer model, and got a killer killer deal on mine! I figure, I will at a later point, paint mine a Lexus blue, or that rare Violet Blue color which would be awesome. Mine is silver, and has a cheap *** paint job but will have to do for now, so I keep it clean.

When I look at it in hindsight (which is usually 20/20), I don't think I could have gotten more "car" for my money (even with a new one), and its a damn nice, and reliable one at that, that catches a lot of attention. I feel good knowing I have one of the more reliable cars on the road even when comparing to new cars, and I will enjoy this car for years and years as I play with it. I have no intention of getting rid of it, even if I win the lotto.. Basic engine mods, headers, intake, exhaust, tuning and few other bits, and tricking out the suspension with some adjustable coil over replacements (bushings, etc.), and it will turn into a VERY good handling car, and truly be called a poor mans Porsche although more reliable. This car has a good suspension setup, but Toyota nuetered it so it would be as smooth as possible for its target crowd the older folks. This is also why the throttle feels so numb as well.. Get into a GS430, or LS430, and its similar because of the electronic throttle, but those are definitely more responsive, and they are bigger cars too.

Has anyone gotten their 0-60 in under 5 seconds before with these SC430's? I am sure with all the bolt-ons I listed above (that I plan to do to mine), it would knock a couple tenths of a second off on the 0-60, and bring it closer to 5 seconds.

I want to get the sprint power programmer, or something equivalent in mine asap once my paychecks start rolling in again!
Old 08-31-15, 10:39 AM
SC430Steve
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your valuable input, guys. I'll use ECT permanently from now on, and see if the performance improves over time, driving it hard-ish but not thrashing it.
Old 09-03-15, 09:59 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

ECT Power and learn how to do the C Gate Shifting.
Old 09-24-15, 03:50 AM
SC430Steve
Driver School Candidate

I disconnected the battery, and, after two weeks' holiday, reconnected it. Lo and behold: the performance has improved dramatically!

The previous performance memory settings must have been cleared.

What a clever car, to adapt its performance to one's driving style!

I shall have to stop driving it economically, and drive like a maniac from now on.
Old 09-27-15, 05:55 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ECT power seems to make no difference for me lol but SNOW Mode definitely does!

Lol The SC has pretty good acceleration but only when you get lucky and the car picks in right gear.

I do remember a thread about someone changing some setting in the transmission from underneath for a firm shift?

also a supra lsd

I have noticed a nice balance at the rear with the ISF bar though!
Old 09-27-15, 08:25 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmer416
ECT power seems to make no difference for me lol but SNOW Mode definitely does!

Lol The SC has pretty good acceleration but only when you get lucky and the car picks in right gear.

I do remember a thread about someone changing some setting in the transmission from underneath for a firm shift?

also a supra lsd

I have noticed a nice balance at the rear with the ISF bar though!
Changing the transmission pressure made a huge difference for me. Definately more resposiveness in the throttle and quicker acceleration. Feels like that "lag" when you step on the accelerator is gone after changing to firm. Here's the link... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...0-a-650-e.html
Old 09-28-15, 07:25 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default How I take off.

This is how I launch from time to time.

Old 09-28-15, 08:46 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by StillLine

Stock SC430
StillLine, I just realized you're in IL. Sorry if I've already asked, but what area are you located?
Old 09-29-15, 03:56 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try checking your ignition coils? If any are bad then you won't be seeing the power you expected.
Old 09-29-15, 08:13 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Default Southern Illinois

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
StillLine, I just realized you're in IL. Sorry if I've already asked, but what area are you located?
Carbondale
Old 10-03-15, 03:13 PM
V300Graham
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VVTI of the left bank of cylinders on the V8 got disconnected when I tore the engine mounts again last year, reconnecting it back jumped the power back up a lot. Look for the simple things first.
Old 10-05-15, 04:08 AM
SC430Steve
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StillLine
Awesome! It doesn't sound like a stock SC430. Souped up?
Old 10-05-15, 07:22 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Default Bone stock

Originally Posted by SC430Steve
Awesome! It doesn't sound like a stock SC430. Souped up?
Nope, she's bone stock with nothing more than an aftermarket muffler. Here's the post about that. ---> Axleback Exhaust