SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-15, 08:16 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Hey OBP, yes I need to send it to Nalley soon.

On the Takata recall, I have read extensively that it was HONDA who was cited for being too slow on the recall (other than Takata). They are facing stiff fines. Honda's fleet uses Takata Airbags like 70%, hence they got the big brunt of the recall. From what I read was like 20% or less of the Takata airbags ended in the Toyota-Lexus Cars.

Toyota is helping by testing the Takata Airbags. Toyota even though had a small percent actually initiated recall faster than Honda.

The GAP is that there is no test that exists today to prove that the suspect lot is the only potential issue. Hence Toyota and rival airbag makers are helping determine how to identify potentially faulted airbags. Hence the solution is to replace all of them. Makes sense?

Takata will probably have to pay the stiffest fine ever in history. They are comparing this to the Firestone-Ford tire issue, but bigger.
Hey Mandy

Based on the 70% Honda vs 20% Toyota/Lexus for Takata exposure, what they told us now makes sense - Honda HQ staff would say how good and caring they were because they were going nationwide on Takata 6 months ago but I guess based on 70% exposure, they had no choice (or get crucified ). Toyota US HQ staff said they started in the southern states and Guam where the weather was warmer and more humid cos the issue is worst in humid climates. Me being NJ registered, I did not qualify until after the first and second and maybe 3rd wave of warm/humid weather states replacements were done. Gnashing my teeth that all the other SCs on the roads where I see them got done and I had to wait but at least now it is settled with no damage to my interior.

Just in relation to warm humid weather and the Takata actuator, if you have friends back in the mother country that own Toyotas/Hondas, maybe worth warning them.
Old 08-15-15, 04:46 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by mpezely
Dropped my wife's car off today at the dealership. Went in to the office of the service writer (there are about 5 of them...my first visit to the dealership). Talking to the service writer he explained to me that they would remove the passenger seat so the tech could lie on his back and do what he has to do to replace the actuator. They are in stock so the car will be ready tomorrow. At this point I would say I have had a very good experience at the dealership (LM LEXUS DEALERSHIP). Treated very well.
It sounds like you have an experienced dealership that knows what they are doing. I remember the service guy telling me that some dealerships will remove the passenger front seat. He said they do not because the tech that did my work was small and did not require the extra room to gain access.

Be sure to ask them about the loaner car and free tank of gas, if you want that...

Also, it sure would be nice if someone could post the actual procedure.
Old 08-16-15, 12:23 PM
mpezely
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up the car Saturday. Everything is fine, new actuator and filled up the tank. Good to go!
Old 08-19-15, 09:49 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Calling in an appointment. Lexus calls and leaves me a voicemail regarding the Airbag every 2 weeks, no miss.

Funny last time I turned it in for the 1st round of airbag, they all were amazed about my Lexus logo projector/puddle lights. Too funny.
Old 08-20-15, 10:20 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

I dropped off my SC today at the dealer and guess how many SC
greeted me

Old 08-21-15, 06:54 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow. I don't know if the entire state of Iowa has that many. Which is why I fear taking mine in for the recall. I know that I can't put it off any longer.
Old 08-21-15, 12:38 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kjcole
Which is why I fear taking mine in for the recall. I know that I can't put it off any longer.
Take a bunch of pictures showing the good condition (& lack of warning lights) now and then if something is amiss, tell the dealer to fix it afterward. If they give you grief you can file a claim with your insurance company and they'll subrogate against the dealer's insurance.
Old 08-21-15, 02:56 PM
mpezely
Driver

Hi Jonas, when we were visiting my wife's father in Palm Desert about 4 years ago, we seen the Lexus sc430's all over the place. My wife fell in love with the looks of the car and we purchased an 06 in Salt Lake about 4 months later. Been a great car (other than run flats), don't see very many here but I would guess California has the most SC's. Mike
Old 08-21-15, 04:58 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Hi Jonas, when we were visiting my wife's father in Palm Desert about 4 years ago, we seen the Lexus sc430's all over the place. My wife fell in love with the looks of the car and we purchased an 06 in Salt Lake about 4 months later. Been a great car (other than run flats), don't see very many here but I would guess California has the most SC's. Mike
Hi mike

I love the car. My car happen to be 03 with 28K and the plate read " u live 1s"

Cheers
Old 08-22-15, 05:51 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Mike,

Dump the run flats. You will be happier.

Mandy
Old 08-22-15, 07:39 AM
doodles714
Driver

Has anyone used Desert Lexus for their recall procedure? Thanks
Old 08-22-15, 12:36 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Recall service in NOVA!

Just got back from travel and called Lexus Pokhantas in Chantilly and they remove the dashboarda and need about three time to finished the work with other shop bqcklogs. They will provide a loaner car.

Has anyone on the NOVA area had this done w/o removing the dash? Where should I go?
Old 08-24-15, 02:51 AM
Mujininzoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Checked with Lindsay Lexus in Springfield on Saturday. They say they must remove the dash as that is what Lexus mandates...otherwise they become liable. Also, could be two days total and can't get in until mid Sep.
Old 08-24-15, 04:01 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. I also called Lindsey in Alexandria and they said the same thing except for they are taking reservations. I took it to Chantilly where they said there's about a week turn around and they gave me a loaner car. I requested a LFA but got an ES ... I did noticed in sales they have a few RC's so I'll check that out when I go back to pick up.

Good to hear from you!
Old 08-25-15, 05:13 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Got the Silver Bullet back today - earlier than promised. All seems ok.

Quick Reply: Recall