SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

stupid to buy another car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-15, 10:09 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default stupid to buy another car?

My friend is moving and wants to sell me his 2005 Mercedes C230 4DR Kompressor for $5K.

I don't need another car, and certainty am not getting rid of my sc430, but I have always loved these Kompressors of that vintage. The body is almost flawless and inside is gorgeous, runs amazing and doesn't have any codes. My buddy has been driving this car for a year no problems.

I cannot find a single logical reason to buy this car. Except I love it and it is 4 doors and its not too expensive and in great shape. My finance has her own car...
Old 08-12-15, 10:56 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
I cannot find a single logical reason to buy this car. Except I love it and it is 4 doors and its not too expensive and in great shape. My finance has her own car...
I love that "typo". That's a Freudian slip of epic magnitude.

I'm going to assume you meant "fiancée".

And yes, buy the car.

I'm single...and currently own 3 convertibles.
Old 08-12-15, 12:35 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Haha yes I meant the woman I am engaged to is my finance. Lol.

I always loved these cars. I know I can do most of the maintenance too. Taxes won't be to much given age... insurance should be low...what better way to spend a few K
Old 08-12-15, 02:42 PM
Lexeffect
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cannot find a single logical reason to buy this car. Except I love it and it is 4 doors and its not too expensive and in great shape. My finance has her own car...[/QUOTE]

It looks to me as though you found 5 logical reasons to buy the car. I own 3 Lexus vehicles plus my truck. I am not married, and the only driver of all 4. You're welcome.
Old 08-12-15, 06:25 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 6 cars and 4 motorcycles and only 4 drivers (1 of whom is only here during the summer). You're all grown up, your toys just are a little bigger & more expensive than when you were playing with Matchbox.

If you feel guilty for indulging, stop going to Starbucks and the money saved there will take care of the car.

Or consider that it's cheaper than having another girlfriend to go with your fiancee collection.

I'd buy it. Hell, my 600 was an impulse purchase and was a fair amount more than 5K
Old 08-12-15, 07:16 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

You all are hilarious. I love CL :-)
Old 08-12-15, 07:50 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm not about to discourage you from buying an MB cos I am an owner myself. Just do not expect Lexus reliability from MBZ. I love my CLS for its 4 door convenience and the V8 twin turbo rumble is intoxicating but for a new car, I have had more issues ( all fixed for free under warranty ) with the Benz than would have happened with a Lexus. E.g. - just driving the CLS along on the highway the other day and I get a tire pressure warning for both front tires at the same time ... How does that happen ? TPMS read out showed 38 lbs so how can that cause an alarm ? MB dealer cleared it and assured me I did not get two nails simultaneously in both front tires and there was no charge. But, whenever my Lexus TPMS goes off, it is a real issue with tire pressure, not some spurious false alarm ... And BTW my TPMS in the SC is original equipment from new so about 10 years old now... Still works like it was supposed to day one.

I would not trade my Lexus for my CLS or the other way around. I like em both for different reasons. But when you're still glad to get back into a 10 year old 290 hp car after driving around in a much newer 400+ hp car, tells you Lexus did something really right with our SCs.

Last edited by OBP; 08-12-15 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-13-15, 08:08 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Yea I would not expect a MB to be reliable...

But given my friend has driven it everyday for a year without problems, I feel I have some information about the vehicle's condition.

Also, at only 5K if the car turns out to be a big problem it is not a major loss. Most of the maintenance I would plan to do myself: flush radiator, plugs, ATF fluid, brakes, etc. Possible a couple simple mods including K&N air filter and sprintbooser. Tires will likely follow.

Still not sure yet. Time devoted to another car would take away from the sc..
Old 08-13-15, 09:39 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

LexBrett, give me your friend's number and I will buy the MB.

Done your debating removed.

LOL!
Old 08-13-15, 05:34 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Yea I would not expect a MB to be reliable...

But given my friend has driven it everyday for a year without problems, I feel I have some information about the vehicle's condition.

Also, at only 5K if the car turns out to be a big problem it is not a major loss. Most of the maintenance I would plan to do myself: flush radiator, plugs, ATF fluid, brakes, etc. Possible a couple simple mods including K&N air filter and sprintbooser. Tires will likely follow.

Still not sure yet. Time devoted to another car would take away from the sc..

Yeah that is right, as long as the price is low enough, it can compensate for many required fixes. I think that is a W203 class MBZ if I remember correctly - anecdotal quality note: a relative's 2011 MDX was involved in a side offset frontal crash with a W203 class MBZ. The MDX got the worst of it despite being a heavier vehicle. fender, hood, front bumper, front headlights, frame damage. The W203 suffered cosmetic damage to the fender and door but it looked pretty minimal compared with what happened to the MDX. Our relative's conclusion was German steel is tougher.
Old 08-14-15, 01:25 PM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Reliability is overrate if the cars are just toys. My 07 SC430 is the most reliable car I have ever owned. I also have a 1987 Cadillac Allante that is the worst crap car that I have ever owned, yet I love them both because they are just toys. Go for the Beamer, you will love it.