SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

First Long Trip and what I don't like....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-15, 03:39 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My first longish trip was from northern VA to Philidelphia and on the NJ Turnpike I had exactly what you describe on grooves and every uneven patch of concrete. The ride was horrible. I was not running stock though -got rid of the run flats so that wasn't it but the car was lowered with Tanabe NFS springs while still on OEM shocks. When you lower the car OEM shocks are not the proper length. I had the springs and OEM shocks removed and replaced with Megan LP coilovers and the ride now is excellent on highway and track. I have done 6 hr highway trips now and ride is great.

45k miles does not seem enough to wear out your shocks and you didn't mention any suspension mods so I agree an overall suspension inspection is due. If you have no plans to lower your car you probably do fine with OEM shock. Coilover options and other options and described in the forum.

Good luck - once you get this fixed the ride is great!
Old 08-08-15, 09:17 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by jdinco
On flat smooth roads the car handles and corners well, but if you are cornering (at normal speeds) and hit a bump the car will give you a side to side motion. That's what I am referring to as "Bobble Head motion" Most bridges around here are pretty rough, if you hit them at 65 MPH the car is tossed around badly, again a lot of side to side motion. It's severe enough that I would not be comfortable with my wife driving when hitting a rough stretch of pavement. And she's a pretty good driver.
It does follow road grooves too, kinda all over the place when hitting grooved pavement where they are getting ready to repave. There are no vibrations or pulling. The suspension (springs and shocks) are not that firm, but I don't think it bounces abnormally. When stopping quickly, it may bounce one extra time.
Also, I had an alignment done when the new tires were installed. The front camber is around -1.2, can't remember the rear. I used the specs suggested on this site. The alignment shop got it very close.
I'll get it inspected by my local mechanic. I did have it inspected before purchase, I specifically asked to make sure the ball joints were fine. Nothing was noted.
Are there any spring/shock options available that are better than stock? Or is the coil over setups the only option?

Thanks for all the replies! Very much appreciated and they give me a lot of thought for a plan.

John

Yep, it definitely sounds like you have some suspension issues. I'll let the other guys with more experience in that realm get more specific.