SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How to locate coolant leak/pressure tester

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-15, 12:29 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default How to locate coolant leak/pressure tester

Working out problems with my car after getting back from bad mechanic. Smelled antifreeze and used my new pressure tester. Attached to radiator and pumped to about 1-3 psi, and immediately I heard a hissing/leaking sound and clearly the system is not holding pressure. I could hear the leak but couldn't see any coolant leaking. Does anyone have any suggestions about where is should look? Maybe a schematic will help? Also in terms of the pressure tester, can pumping up the system make the leak bigger or worse? Any tips and pointers are much appreciated!
Old 08-02-15, 12:46 PM
zoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The pressure is likely escaping somewhere closer to the top of the radiator/cooling system. Check for cracks along the top of the radiator, in the plastic. Pressurizing wont have any affect on the leak, as it is no different than running the engine. The leak will likely get worse with time.
Old 08-02-15, 01:36 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks was afraid to pump up too much. Now I will pump and see
Old 08-02-15, 01:54 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 103 Posts

With the engine swap, both radiator hoses and the heater hoses are additional points of possible leaks. Going to need to look and listen real close to narrow it down.
Old 08-02-15, 04:08 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default Found the leak a cracked radiator

Found the leak. There is a crack on the top of my radiator. See pic below just to the right of the clip there is a hairline fracture. Red coolant is pooled below slightly.

Do you all think I could use some kind of bonding cement to seal the leak, or is replacement of radiator necessary? Do I necessarily need oem?
Old 08-02-15, 04:42 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 103 Posts

I wouldn't try to fix it. Not worth the risk. A new radiator is the way to go. Either KoyoRad ($195 ) or Denso ( $115 ).
Old 08-02-15, 07:40 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

How are the "performance" better than others?? Gave patching the crack a try, saw a video on YouTube will check in morning of holds pressure..just a temporary solution
Old 08-03-15, 07:10 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default angry radiator

Tried to temporarily patch radiator follow youtube instructional video. Lexus became very angry! It's unlikely to hold pressure, so I bought the Denso radiator.. I'm going to do it myself, any tips?
Old 08-04-15, 06:09 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

After several iterations, the patch job seems to hold UNLESS I use the pressure tester. When I use the pressure tester the patch breaks. So for a few days I guess I am ok, and plan to put in the radiator this weekend. Plan to do a complete DIY unless I run into a glitch or get frustrated and put down the camera lol
Old 08-04-15, 07:49 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

You should be just fine. A radiator swap is on the lower level of difficulty... ;-)

The Denso should be just like OEM to include the mounting holes, connections etc.

Take pictures as you take apart the old radiator and use them as a reference, if required.
Old 08-04-15, 07:58 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for your support. I'm excited to do the install. Save time, money, and MISERY of going to a dishonest mechanic.. I plan to do a complete DIY for the CL community :-)
Old 08-04-15, 11:01 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Just be sure to keep an eye out for the radiator fluid. Too many folks have lost their engines (SCs & LSs) from radiators breaking their water and not catching it.
Old 08-04-15, 02:56 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Lex, consider taking pictures as you go...always a good reference in the event you forget the little things...
Old 08-04-15, 06:19 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Lex, consider taking pictures as you go...always a good reference in the event you forget the little things...
Agreed. My plan is to take pictures along the way in case I forget something. I'm also hoping to do a DIY.
Old 08-05-15, 04:29 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mademedoit
Only hard part is laying under the car to remove the transmission cooler lines, make sure you have something handy to stuff in the hoses right after you disconnect them so you don't lose too much trans fluid, there will also be a small loss because the rad itself will hold on to a little bit of fluid. And use the toyota brand coolant aswell GL.
Good point! Last Summer I actually spent ALOT of time under my car with the Transmission cooler lines because I was hooking up an aftermarket ATF cooler; that's the one thing I am very comfortable with. Yes there will be ATF fluid loss and I plan to put a drop cloth down and make sure to restore to proper level. It's going to be a pain reconnecting the ATF cooler too

Question- what do you recommend stuffing in the ATF lines?? If I use a clothes or paper towel, lint could get in the system...

Quick Reply: How to locate coolant leak/pressure tester