Roof Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-15, 09:31 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Roof Problem

Hi Guys

So my luck, now my roof is acting up again.. few days back the roof would open, go into the trunk and then package tray wouldn't come down.. sounded like roof was trying to lock or something or adjust itself.. I would simply go back and lift the roof an inch and let go and package tray would close and everything would be good.. Then recently it started pausing everytime..

Yesterday, package tray would not come down at all even after slightly lifting roof. so I would bring it up and realize the roof might not be locking even when up.. after disconnecting the battery and going back for forth for it to close itself since I was away from home and had no tools or anything. It finally closed. Which I should have left and taken to lexus Monday..

this morning I tried to see whats wrong and same problem except this time top wont move anymore. I manually locked the roof because its not locking itself anymore, not moving or anything .. checked all the fuses (all good).. don't know what it is.. But the trunk does lift and then nothing.

I have disconnected battery and ill try operating it.. at this point I just want it to lock itself now so I can drive back home since im out of town.. and if it doesn't lock I have to deal with the stupid red light and beep... anyone know how to disable that incase it doesn't close itself up?

Also since the red light is on, would it be giving a code? where can I get that read? is it only lexus or would a normal obd reader work?

Thank you
Old 08-01-15, 09:48 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

The top codes are proprietary and it is my understanding that only a Lexus reader will display them. I could be wrong on that.

Hopefully your problem is just a switch sensor.

Keep us posted!
Old 08-01-15, 09:54 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

thanks for your reply Johnny, . looks like lexus is closed for the long weekend so Ill have to wait.

looks like trunk is not lifting anymore.. and trunk release switch is not working.

Does anyone know how to disable the chime temporarily?

Thank you
Old 08-02-15, 07:12 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

I forgot to mention.. its completely not responding anymore.. the trunk release doesn't work either.. the red light is on and just stupid beeps.. I will get codes read and update here.. Im just wondering why the trunk isn't even opening (I have to manually release it from center console box).. however I did close the trunk manually because the roof stopped responding first, didn't lock so I locked it manually then the trunk wouldn't come down so I brought it down and after that its doesn't even open :S.
Old 08-05-15, 11:10 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can vouch that a Toyota dealer can also read the error codes. I'm managing my own roof issue and hope you find an easy and affordable solution.
Old 08-11-15, 06:38 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Thank you RLP.

I havnt got the chance to get code read ,, really busy packing as I am moving soon..

Johnnycake.. I noticed your trunk latch failed.. what was your symptom? cuz my trunk doesn't unlock anymore either.

thanks
Old 08-12-15, 08:36 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

[QUOTE=bimmer416;9146389]
Johnnycake.. I noticed your trunk latch failed.. what was your symptom? cuz my trunk doesn't unlock anymore either./QUOTE]

At the time mine would not unlatch with the cable or the remote. That doesn't sound like your problem.

The codes will help a lot.
Old 11-19-15, 07:52 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Hey guys sorry been super busy with moving and stuff.. Ok so my car roof and stuff was not dead... I recently went in and found that the retractable top fuse blew for whatever reason.. I guess to protect itself when I was trying to bring it up and down hoping that it would function properly..

So... trunk opens.. package tray comes up.. roof goes down.. but then package tray doesn't come down and trunk stays up... and nothing after that... I lift the roof slightly so it realizes it hasn't closed... press open button and nothing... then I press closed and it comes back up.. package tray goes down.. roof locks.. but trunk doesn't come down and quarter windows wouldn't come up... after a few tries and battery unplug.. It finally opened and closed all on its own.. I have bought a new ecu so hoping that solves the issue... but I feel like some sensor forgets which part of the cycle the roof is in..
Old 11-20-15, 01:38 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

bimmer, I'm glad it turned out to be a fuse.

So now it sounds like you are on track considering that you are having differing failure modes. I'd agree that it sounds like it is either a sensor/switch is bad or something in the roof ECU. Good luck with the repair. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-29-16, 09:01 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Hey guys,

so finally came around to my roof...

this is whats happening now..
1) windows come down
2) trunk opens

then nothing after,, top isn't unlocking and i tried disconnecting battery many times but nothing..

I tried changing ECU so but no difference which means my ECU is good so I put it back .. (so ill be posting other one for sale)

I think my package tray motor is good but i do have an extra one.. but i cant really test that until my roof moves

I have heard some people saying there luggage cable went off track.. where is this cable?

I will get the codes read this week
Old 05-29-16, 01:35 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Until you get your roof working, you won't know for sure that the ECU is okay.
Old 05-29-16, 02:00 PM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to avoid $$$ diagnosing this problem, the best bet now is to get hold of a TechStream cable*, install, plug it in and check the DTC's is the best bet now I think.

* Do you know anyone who has one (I assume not), if not get one off Amazon ($25 I understand. I paid $15 but from China so had to wait a few weeks... sounds like you want to spend the extra ten bucks and get it in 3-5 days or whatever).
Old 05-30-16, 08:28 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Harold57
Until you get your roof working, you won't know for sure that the ECU is okay.
i mean the roof is doing the same thing with the new ECU that it did with mine but yeah I guess i have to wait.

I actually ordered a package tray motor along with it too but cant really try it until my roof starts moving, i am pretty sure my package tray motor is alright though.

Originally Posted by Scarletti
If you want to avoid $$$ diagnosing this problem, the best bet now is to get hold of a TechStream cable*, install, plug it in and check the DTC's is the best bet now I think.

* Do you know anyone who has one (I assume not), if not get one off Amazon ($25 I understand. I paid $15 but from China so had to wait a few weeks... sounds like you want to spend the extra ten bucks and get it in 3-5 days or whatever).
Thanks Scarletti, this would actually be very helpful..

do you guys know what version I should be looking for? do these cables come with software?

new note-- so i locked the roof manually and after that my quarter windows/trunk did close themselves so i at least don't have an error while i drive.

Thanks Guys :
Old 05-30-16, 11:45 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmer416
Thanks Scarletti, this would actually be very helpful..

do you guys know what version I should be looking for? do these cables come with software?

new note-- so i locked the roof manually and after that my quarter windows/trunk did close themselves so i at least don't have an error while i drive.

Thanks Guys :
There is a lot of threads/posts on the topic, but all rather confusing and conflictory.

Part of that is the confusion between the version of the Software (comes on a mini-CD) and that of the Firmware (in the "cable").
  • Firmware is typically 1.4.1 or 2.0.x (see note 1)
  • Software is typically 10.10.018 (or thereabouts. see note 3)

Note 1: Some will state as a fact that you need 2.0.whatever to carry out "Active Tests" or whatever. False. I have 1.4.1 and the software is fully functional... tests, data lists, clear DTC etc

Note 2: It is reported that 2006+ SC430's need Firmware 2.0.x+ for the full functions (EG "Active Tests") to work.

Note 3: You may think the very latest SW is a good thing. False. They (Toyota aka Denso) bring out new versions to cover new models and features. Hardly applicable to the SC430!

Note 4: Some will say that TechStream will only run under XP (or other 32bit windows). False. To be fair you do need to do a little fiddling for x64 but it's easy enough (I run mine on Windows 8.1 x64).

So, having said all that... v1.4.1 firmware & v10.10.018 software is FINE for your car bimmer (a pre 2006 model).

This is the exact one I bought from AliExpress.com (see footnote) ~£10/€13/$15. The seller is bare bones, no description or flashy reassurances so if I wasn't pointing you at it, you wouldn't have a clue what you were getting. But I'll vouch for this one!

Alternatively you can search Amazon. This one on Amazon.ca *looks* fine. If you're worried about it, send a message to the seller asking "what the Firmware & Software levels are" (don't prompt them, just ask... if they come back with 1.4.x or 2.0.x AND 10.0.x then you know what your getting. If they say 10.0.x then they don't have a clue what they are selling as they don't know the difference between firmware & software etc).

Retractable Hardtop ECU

Whilst TechStream can do a "health check", display any DTC's and clear them (if they are clearable) it can do much more... this may be of interest to you. Screenshot of TechStream showing a live data view from the ECU "Hardtop Retractable" attached.

Footnote: As this forum software seems to rewrite URL's so they can get referral fees links don't always work. So here is the URL for the aliexpress item... ]http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top-Reated-V10-10-018-MINI-VCI-OBD-Diagnostic-Interface-Standard-Communication-MINI-VCI-J2534-TIS/1000001652155.html[
Attached Thumbnails Roof Problem-retractable-hardtop.jpg  

Last edited by Scarletti; 06-01-16 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Making the pre/post 2006 firmware point
Old 05-30-16, 09:43 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Hi Scarletti,

Thank you very much for the detailed reply, very helpful and easy to understand. And thanks for the links too.

I am checking on ebay and found too many with only The software mentioned but not firmware.

So i found this link.. seems to have all details plus its supports both 32 and 64bit. What do you think?

ebay link

Thanks agiain

Quick Reply: Roof Problem