SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Roof Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-16, 02:44 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Earlier this year, I started a thread about tech stream. The point was to try and capture all of the information in one place. My hope was to get a moderator to make it a sticky but that never happened.
Here is the thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...r-2-0-4-a.html

It does have some good info and if you are interested, I would recommend you read it from the beginning. The last 20 or so posts were between retro and I trying to get the newer firmware cable to work with my 2002 SC430, I never did but did figure out that it should work with a 2006+ SC430. I did prove the new cable works with a 2011 Camry.

Bottom line, my cable with firmware ver 1.4.1 works great on my 2002 SC430 and it is running on an old win XP mini laptop.
Old 05-31-16, 03:48 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmer416
Hi Scarletti,

Thank you very much for the detailed reply, very helpful and easy to understand. And thanks for the links too.

I am checking on ebay and found too many with only The software mentioned but not firmware.

So i found this link.. seems to have all details plus its supports both 32 and 64bit. What do you think?

ebay link

Thanks agiain
Sounds fine, if you want to spend the extra over and above the one I linked you that's guaranteed to work.

Don't worry about 32/64 bit windows... whether they claim/advertise it or not, you have to install in a certain sequence to get 64bit working (it's easy enough) and nothing special about their versions of what they are selling.

That's coming from HK you know, so will take some time.

Cover yourself by putting in a message to the seller at order time (done during checkout) and say "must fully work with 2002 Lexus SC430, including 'Active Tests', 'Data Lists', 'Health Checks' and 'DTS' within TechStream software". If you have any issues, then you have a claim it isn't fit for the purpose sold and claim back off Seller or Ebay.

(There have been some concerns over some "cable" quality, with reports of "Data Lists" and "Active Tests" not working.)
Old 05-31-16, 08:09 AM
MikeSC430D
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bimmer, I recently had hardtop issues. After trying all the stuff you described I went to my dealer and asked for a total diagnostic with emphasis on the top. A day later they called to tell me the problem (top would not close, red light on switch and all sort of weird behavior when trying to operate it) was fixed. It turned out to be dirty/sticky switches in the trunk, not sure which. They cleaned them realigned a few things and now the top is working better than ever. The bill was $170, minimum for diagnostics. My point is, the problem may well be a simple one, but the symptoms are varied and inconsistent.
Several of the forum members said that I lucked-out finding a "honest dealer", that may be true. However, now I'll looked for obvious signs of faulty components (rust, grime, fraying, looseness, etc) on all visible and accessible related components before resorting to the dealer. By the way, if you are in the Jacksonville Florida area, the Orange Park dealership is strongly recommended.
Old 06-01-16, 12:28 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks BGW and Scarletti..

the previous vendor which i provided ebay link for said no it won't work...

I have found this:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MINI-VCI-USB-...IAAOSwwE5WXT2G

looks like its
v1.4.1 firmware & v10.10.018 software

as you said that should work fine so i will order that! really appreciate the help guys.

and MikeSC430D - thanks, im glad it worked out for you i think you are right it may be something small I will wait for this tech stream software and see if it points to anything.. i will keep this thread updated.
Old 06-01-16, 07:47 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Hi Scarletti/BGW.. that link i posted above i noticed its firmware 1.4 not 1.4.1... does that make a difference? can i go ahead and order this?

thanks
Old 06-01-16, 07:55 PM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Scarletti/BGW.. that link i posted above i noticed its firmware 1.4 not 1.4.1... does that make a difference? can i go ahead and order this?

thanks
All these vendors are selling pretty the same product (with only a few variations between them), and they just cut and paste the photos and description from the other sellers. Looks like the one you linked made a typo.

You do know he's in HK don't you, yet charging European/North American prices? I don't know why you've picked this seller out, doesn't seem to have anything going for him.

Set your filters in Amazon/Ebay for locality (USA/Canada only or whatever). If you're determined to pay $25 for a $15 item, you may as well get a fast delivery off a local importer.

Don't forget, include the caveat to the seller when you place the order if you have any doubts over the description.
Old 06-02-16, 09:28 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Scarletti
All these vendors are selling pretty the same product (with only a few variations between them), and they just cut and paste the photos and description from the other sellers. Looks like the one you linked made a typo.

You do know he's in HK don't you, yet charging European/North American prices? I don't know why you've picked this seller out, doesn't seem to have anything going for him.

Set your filters in Amazon/Ebay for locality (USA/Canada only or whatever). If you're determined to pay $25 for a $15 item, you may as well get a fast delivery off a local importer.

Don't forget, include the caveat to the seller when you place the order if you have any doubts over the description.
thanks for the reply, too be honest i pretty much use ebay only.. never used amazon before.. I have used aliexpress before but i need to communicate with them outside as aliexpress doesnt use paypal..

I checked local.. the only one i found with perfect description is from states and that is 50$ .. im trying to find something around 30 and under for the exact firmware.. I have some time today so i will send some sellers msgs willl keep you posted.

thanks for the help
Old 07-04-16, 05:22 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

got techstream

and read the roof code:

Code: B2502 (05−1961)
Detection Item: Open in Roof Drive Motor RH Circuit
Trouble area:
Sliding roof drive gear assy RH - i dont know what this is?
Wire harness - could this really go bad?
Sliding roof control ECU assy - have tried a newer ECU already, nothing changed.

Trying to open: so the trunk opens > roof opens > package tray lifts >roof sits > then nothing..

i noticed the roof doesnt lock when it sits down into the back.. if i press the button i can hear something trying to move.. roof twiches a bit but nothing after..

when trying to close:sometimes the roof lifts slightly and gives up, sometimes doesn't respond. then i disconnected battery and it closed itself.

has anyone else faced this problem, what could it be?

Last edited by 416tt; 07-04-16 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-04-16, 07:07 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Where is VVTiBob when you need him. This forum misses that guy. He'd know for sure.

I have a thought, but let me make sure I understand exactly where the problem begins.

Press OPEN
Drivers/Passengers windows go down
Quarter windows go down
Trunk opens to full open position
Roof unlatches from windshield and begins to open
Package Tray tilts up

At this point the car looks like this:

Name:  roof_zps2mwr66wt.png
Views: 3105
Size:  17.8 KB

Is that correct?

Is it also correct that you can recover from this condition by CLOSING the roof? In other words, you are saying that it fails at this point but you can still close it? (huge clue)

ALSO, could you elaborate on this:

i noticed the roof doesnt lock when it sits down into the back.. if i press the button i can hear something trying to move.. roof twiches a bit but nothing after..
Is this after you close it? What do you mean by "roof doesn't lock when it sits down into the back"?

when trying to close:sometimes the roof lifts slightly and gives up, sometimes doesn't respond. then i disconnected battery and it closed itself.
Trying to close from the mid-open "stalled" position? Trying to close from the fully open position?

Also what does "I disconnected battery and it closed itself" mean?

--------------------

Diagnosing roof trouble is all about symptoms so we need to know exactly what you are experiencing to be of any help.
Old 07-04-16, 07:52 PM
TarheelNic
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

got techstream

and read the roof code:

Code: B2502 (05−1961)
Detection Item: Open in Roof Drive Motor RH Circuit
Trouble area:
Sliding roof drive gear assy RH - i dont know what this is?
Wire harness - could this really go bad?
Sliding roof control ECU assy - have tried a newer ECU already, nothing changed.

Trying to open: so the trunk opens > roof opens > package tray lifts >roof sits > then nothing..

has anyone else faced this problem, what could it be?
I haven't had any issues with any of the roof motors on my '07, but hopefully the link and/or the attachment below can provide some help for you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...u-pinouts.html

NavTool 3.0-HDMI for AppleTV,
BU Camera & BlindSpot Cam.
Attached Files
Old 07-04-16, 08:04 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Where is VVTiBob when you need him. This forum misses that guy. He'd know for sure.
I have seen some of his threads, smart guy, i guess Bob has moved on from the SC:sad

I have a thought, but let me make sure I understand exactly where the problem begins.

Press OPEN
Drivers/Passengers windows go down
Quarter windows go down
Trunk opens to full open position
Roof unlatches from windshield and begins to open
Package Tray tilts up

At this point the car looks like this:

Is that correct?
No the roof goes fully into the trunk, package tray stays up, trunk stays up

Is it also correct that you can recover from this condition by CLOSING the roof? In other words, you are saying that it fails at this point but you can still close it? (huge clue)
well only once the roof was able to recover back up right away after bringing it down and then it didnt lock to the windshield, so then i retracted back into the trunk.. package tray up, roof down, trunk up.. no movement. i disconnected battery, tried to close, it closed fully. no errors.

roof, trunk figdet slightly sometimes at the touch of the button first time then nothing after

ALSO, could you elaborate on this:

"i noticed the roof doesnt lock when it sits down into the back.. if i press the button i can hear something trying to move.. roof twiches a bit but nothing after.."

Is this after you close it? What do you mean by "roof doesn't lock when it sits down into the back"?
sorry no, so when the roof opens, retracts into trunk fully. package tray stays still, roof doesnt lock into those hingers which i guess secure it and keep it from bouncing in trunk

" when trying to close:sometimes the roof lifts slightly and gives up, sometimes doesn't respond. then i disconnected battery and it closed itself."

Trying to close from the mid-open "stalled" position? Trying to close from the fully open position?
trying to close it from fully open position as it sits in trunk (package tray stuck facing up, trunk stuck open)

Also what does "I disconnected battery and it closed itself" mean?
so once the roof completely stops responding to the switch.. i disconnect battery, and i guess i got lucky but everything closed properly (ignore "itself")

--------------------
Diagnosing roof trouble is all about symptoms so we need to know exactly what you are experiencing to be of any help.
that makes sense, thank you for the help Johnny i really appreciate it.

i tried searching for the "sliding roof gear" i think its this thing below? is this the motor by the rear speakers?

Roof Problem-sliding-roof-gear-and-motor-rh.png
Old 07-04-16, 08:30 PM
TarheelNic
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bimmer,
I meant to mention that the roof ECU pinouts are located in an excel file in that forum link (started by Retroplay).
If the roof ECUs didn't change over the years, the right roof motor is powered thru pins 6 (+) and 2 (-), on harness-connector S20.

NavTool 3.0-HDMI for AppleTV,
BU Camera & BlindSpot Cam.
Old 07-05-16, 06:10 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

This part you probably know: the ECU is basically a task master and it sequentially triggers the various steps involved in opening/closing the top. While doing its job, it uses sensors to determine whether the last step has been completed and thus whether it is OK to start the next step. If it gets an error code, the process stops.

Removing and reconnecting the battery clears the error code and the ECU does not know there is a problem until it encounters the problem again.

I think you may have a physical problem (top not fully open) or it could be a sensor problem (top not reported as fully open) . The sequence you are getting stuck at is:
* Tilt up package tray
* Put top in trunk
* Detect full open position
* Tilt down package tray

The ECU will not tilt down the package tray until it receives the sensor signal indicating that the top is in the full open position. Your problem seems to be that either the top is not fully open (physical) or the sensor is not reporting that the top is fully open (electrical).

I have no idea where it is or how to access it, but I would be looking for the Roof Open switch. In the diagram below, it is considered (2) “Detects Full Open Position”

The fact that you were able to close the top after disconnecting the battery supports this diagnosis. At that point the ECU was cleared of any codes and since you were CLOSING, not OPENING, the ECU was not looking for the “Full Open Position” so the ECU permitted the closing process. In other words, the ECU does not need to receive the “Full Open Position” signal to close the top at that point, only open it.

Name:  top2_zpswmhlxys7.png
Views: 3115
Size:  8.6 KB

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 07-05-16 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-05-16, 07:52 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The error code saying there's an "open" would to me seem to be bad, dirty or misaligned switch. If you're just curious tinkering can certainly be interesting but requires time and patience obviously. If you just want it fixed, a dealer is far from a bad idea. It's likely they've seen this before and know pretty much what to check and do. Just my 02 cents and probably not worth that!
Old 07-05-16, 08:28 AM
Sharon430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof button moody

My SC 430 just started acting up. The roof button always worked until recently. It would not close.
I covered it up overnight and tried the next day. It worked but after a few attempts. I am afraid to open it as it might not close and I am on the road. Help team!!!

Quick Reply: Roof Problem