SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Radio problem 2002 sc430

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-15, 10:13 PM
diwinski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio problem 2002 sc430

This week I began experiencing operational problems with the mark levinson stereo and I'm looking for a logical next step to resolve

1). I cannot adjust the volume either from the volume **** or from the steering wheel. I have volume I just cannot adjust it.

2). I cannot eject any of the CDs. I can play them.

3). Tapping the tuner **** should take you into stereo setup where you adjust bass, tremble, fade etc. when I tap it there is no response.

I can tune the radio fine. I can play the CDs fine. It does not appear to be fuse related

I called a car stereo guy who rebuilt my dried out speakers today and he suggested disconnecting the negative battery connection and touching the positive connection and that might reset it. That sounds scary to me and I do not want to harm any other components (or me!) by trying this. What do you guys think about this and any logical next step to resolving??

I am the original owner and all these symptoms happened at once and started after car sat in garage for a week. It has a new battery installed last year and shows no sign of a weak battery
Old 07-28-15, 01:42 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Just disconnect the battery for 20min and reconnect.

Did this start happenening right after the stereo guy rebuilt the speakers?

Is this happening when the car is running?
Old 07-28-15, 01:53 PM
diwinski
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Just disconnect the battery for 20min and reconnect.

Did this start happenening right after the stereo guy rebuilt the speakers?

Is this happening when the car is running?
No the speakers were done a few years ago. It happens running or if the ignition key just on.
If I did the 20 minute reset, does just removing the negative charge cable enough??
i actually did try this but I only did it for a minute. It clearly didnt reset because the channel presets were still there. Guess I didnt wait long enough

Last edited by diwinski; 07-28-15 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-28-15, 05:02 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, just remove the positive or negative and let it sit. This is an easy check.
Old 07-28-15, 07:20 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Keep in mind that when you do, you will also likely lose all your other presets: preset positions (1 & 2) for seat, mirrors, steering wheel, all things setable in the radio and it is also possible that you will need to reset your seats so they will operate (they can lose their calibration as to their positions). However, having said this, I agree that disconnecting power to your radio is the right first step, but another alternative is to take the power off of your radio either by the connectors in the back or the various fuses that power it. (I'd go with the fuses.)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 07-28-15, 10:12 PM
diwinski
Driver School Candidate

I did one fuse but looks like there are a few fuses having to do with the radio and those fuses are all over the car.
I did the one in front of the battery. I have to figure out the other fuse locations. I won't be able to try this for awhile as I'm in California for the summer away from the car. But...if one of you SC owners want to help me find the other fuse boxes it would be a great help once I get back.

I'm not worried about those settings unless something stops working that causes me to have to go to dealer!
Please confirm no battery for 20 minutes will not create additional issues
Old 07-28-15, 10:23 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by diwinski
I did one fuse but looks like there are a few fuses having to do with the radio and those fuses are all over the car.
I did the one in front of the battery. I have to figure out the other fuse locations. I won't be able to try this for awhile as I'm in California for the summer away from the car. But...if one of you SC owners want to help me find the other fuse boxes it would be a great help once I get back.

I'm not worried about those settings unless something stops working that causes me to have to go to dealer!
Please confirm no battery for 20 minutes will not create additional issues
...the disconnection of the battery will not create any other issues, you will only lose memory to function that have been preset previously
Old 07-29-15, 05:52 AM
diwinski
Driver School Candidate

perfect. thanks. I will report back when i try it. Probably in a week when I am back in town for a few days.
Old 08-06-15, 09:01 AM
diwinski
Driver School Candidate

i disconnected the negative charge for 20 minutes and nothing changed. any other ideas??
Old 08-06-15, 09:27 AM
diwinski
Driver School Candidate

i called my Car stereo guy and he had me touch the negative post to the positive...nothing
Old 08-06-15, 04:48 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by diwinski
i called my Car stereo guy and he had me touch the negative post to the positive...nothing
If you touch the negative post to the positive post you are creating a direct short . I cant imagine how that would do anything other then possible welding them together and creating a explosive situation.

Unless your using the wrong terminology what your doing is a no no.
Old 08-06-15, 05:24 PM
diwinski
Driver School Candidate

I touched the negative cable to the positive post. Since the negative not on the battery, the battery not 'live' but he said it is a common way to reset. I was worried too but nothing happened. Actually the SC battery cables are short so I had to use jumper cables to go from the negative cable to touch the positive.

This guy knows his stuff and is used by my Lexus dealer on all radio issues I found out today.

They removed the radio and are bench testing it tomorrow. If the radio cannot be repaired, I will see what I can do 'to up my game' by putting in a touch screen that will still utilize the radio cover door. A very cool youtube out there on possible radio options. One guy left the upper navigation as is bit where the radio is put in a touch screen that looks like it came with the car. It had updated NAV, radio and even a backup camera. I'd be happy with a radio, disc player and most importantly Bluetooth. Not sure that is possible as I'm seeing first if it can be easily repaired.

Will keep you posted.
Old 08-06-15, 05:32 PM
diwinski
Driver School Candidate

Here is the YouTube on the possibilities

Old 08-06-15, 05:36 PM
diwinski
Driver School Candidate

one more...
Old 08-06-15, 06:20 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Now your talking! Several of us have installed these types of radios...they are FANTASTIC!!!
Here are two links to my radio install...sorry, no video ;-)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...placement.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...with-pics.html

Last edited by Bgw70; 08-06-15 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Radio problem 2002 sc430