SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Roof stalling issues & error code

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-15, 10:44 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roof stalling issues & error code

I've had my low mileage 2002 since last September. After making the purchase, I discovered an intermittent problem with the retractable roof mechanism. At the end of an open or (usually) close operation, the roof stalls. I think the roof has completed either opening or closing, whichever the case may be, but the red light stays on and the roof will not respond in either direction.

I drove nearly 300 miles round trip to get our nearest Lexus dealer to look at the roof problem. However, they couldn't get the roof to stall and said they couldn't diagnose the problem if they couldn't encounter it. We agreed I should bring the car in to my local Toyota dealer to try to get a failure code when the stall occurs.

Well, the roof stalled again today and I was in a position to get to the Toyota shop. They were able to plug in their computer and got a failure code. On the "Retractable Hardtop" line under FFD, it says No; under DTC it says B2530; and under Curr Conf it says X. They printed out a Vehicle Diagnostic Report for Code B2530 and it is described as a Luggage Front Lock Switch (LH). Under the "Current" column it says X; under the Summary column it says Icon C; and under the Freeze Frame column it says No.

Does this make sense? I should mention that I try pressing the open and close functions and restarting the car to get the roof to come out of the stall. I'm not sure whether either activity undoes the stall, but after several tries I can get the roof to move the tiniest amount and the light goes out.

If this does make sense, how difficult is the fix? I'm thinking about avoiding the long trip to the Lexus dealer again.
Old 07-24-15, 04:59 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

The B2530 error indicates a problem with the limit switch on the LH luggage lock front. While it could be a problem with the ECU, it is most likely the switch. Basically, the switch is not telling the computer "everything in position here." That you can get the problem to resolve by repeating the operation, tells me that the switch slightly out of position or on its way to failure.

Unfortunately, Lexus is not going to break the problem down to the exact component (cheap) part. Rather, they replace entire units (expensive). Nothing on them, its just too hard, too time consuming, and requires some trial/error to disassemble a unit and deal with the component parts. They need to swoop in, replace an entire unit, and be done.

Check out this thread where we resolved my similar B2536 error -- it might give you some ideas.

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 07-24-15 at 05:11 AM.
Old 07-24-15, 05:39 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Here is the checkout procedure. Use these steps and the diagrams from the link Johnny posted...

Looks like a fun job!

SC430 roof operation and roof SST alignment tool.
https://www.i-car.com/pdf/program_su...1/novdec01.pdf

Last edited by Bgw70; 08-06-15 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-24-15, 08:42 AM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

I can guess that the Luggage Front Lock Switch should be substantially less than the ECU. Maybe for that reason alone, replacing the LFLS would appear to be a worthwhile first effort. JC, thanks for the link and words of support. I agree that a SC430 is just a car if the top doesn't work.

Bgw, thank you for the repair diagrams. They don't appear to take me all the way to the LFLS. Are the instructions incomplete or are they intended to get me to the general vicinity?

On a mechanic capability scale of 1 to 10, I am probably a 4. Is this within my skill set or should I take the car to Lexus? I say "Lexus" because I haven't found anyone else who will repair this roof.
Old 07-24-15, 09:55 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I was in a hurry to take pics of the pages this morning and I may have missed some additional pages. The first two pages are the procedure for that code. The second two pages begin the process to disassemble the luggage area.

If you think you will do the work let me know and I will post all of the pages.
You know I get paid by the page! ;-)
Old 07-24-15, 10:44 AM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

I called Lexus to find out how much they would charge to do the job. Three "C"s will determine how I move ahead: Cost, complexity (of repair) and convenience (it's 140 miles to the dealer!). I admit I'm uneasy about getting into the roof mechanisms. Getting access to this switch appears to be more difficult than Johnny Cakes' and Habious' B2536 error, but that may just be a premature reaction to everything I've read.

This website is a great help to SC430 owners. Thank you!
Old 07-24-15, 01:18 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just ran across a used roof ECU on fleabay for 50.00 if you discover that's the culprit. http://r.ebay.com/LsD81N

Just FYI
Old 07-24-15, 05:45 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

I just heard back from the Lexus dealer. The service rep says the Luggage Front Lock Switch is part of a hinge assembly. He says I can't buy just the switch. The price is $4,840.72. Labor would be $1,350. That totals $6,190.72 plus close to $600 in sales tax. So, a bit shy of $7,000!!!

Yikes!!! Anybody have any suggestions????
Old 07-24-15, 05:51 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Default Roof switch costs over $6000 plus tax!

Guys, appreciate your fully functional roof. See my recent post about roof stalling. Lexus dealer quoted me $4,840.72 for the Luggage Front Lock Switch (LH) and $1,350 to install it. That's crazy!!!!
Old 07-24-15, 06:07 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't think that's accurate. Like I said in my earlier post, I think the Lexus service position is that they consider the assembly a "single unit" and aren't about to try to reduce it to its component pieces. And I don't blame them.

OTOH, when I had a similar problem, I was able to purchase the individual switch from Sewell. But at that point you are kind of winging it -- as indicated in my thread, Habious is pretty much a genius and had the ***** to say, yeah, let's tear this apart.

So, you kinda have two issues. Look at the schematic and get the part number for the switch and see whether you can source it. But even so, you'd have to have the instinct to do the install without much for instructions. I ended up paying $100 for the switch and a large pizza to Habious for labor, so I had it good.

Another idea would be to try to find a used hinge assembly from a wrecked SC and either install that, or see whether the dealer would agree to install it, although I'm sure they would want you to agree to some waivers in the event the part is no good or fails.

Or you could buy Habious' SC -- he's selling for well under $7K and that includes a LuxLink installed!

Bottom line -- I feel your pain.
Old 07-24-15, 09:39 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow I'm sorry to hear that. What's wrong with your roof?
Old 07-24-15, 10:06 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Every now and then the roof stalls when opening or closing. I have to fool with the switch and restart the car to get out of the stall. I finally was able to get to a Toyota dealer while the roof was stuck in a stall (no Lexus dealer close by). The error code is B2530 and it identifies a Luggage Front Lock Switch as the problem. I called Lexus and learned the price of replacing that switch: $4,840.72 for the part and $1350 for labor. That's $6,190.72 plus tax.

One lousy switch.

I guess I'm going to have to start looking for options, 'cause that switch is going to completely die one of these days. If anybody has suggestions, I'm desperate to hear them.

Last edited by rlp1949; 07-24-15 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-25-15, 04:49 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know I sound like "ebayman" or something but here is an option, buy this used hinge assembly off ebay (279.00) http://r.ebay.com/Lcad0W, take it to the dealer and have them install it. That way you save about 5 grand. Just a thought.

Before I did this, like Johnny mentioned, I would talk to the dealership first and make sure they would install it. I have had pretty good luck with my dealership installing customer supplied parts.

Last edited by Helogadget; 07-25-15 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Added thoughts..
Old 07-25-15, 06:11 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Helogadget
I know I sound like "ebayman" or something but here is an option, buy this used hinge assembly off ebay (279.00) http://r.ebay.com/Lcad0W, take it to the dealer and have them install it. That way you save about 5 grand. Just a thought.

Before I did this, like Johnny mentioned, I would talk to the dealership first and make sure they would install it. I have had pretty good luck with my dealership installing customer supplied parts.

Not to worry Helo, I have purchased plenty of parts from eBay for my SC430 and not one part has been bad.
I always have them confirm the part is good, look for a warranty and then make them an offer.
9 out of 10 times they accept a reasonable offer after some back and forth.
I would offer $225 and negotiate from there...
All they can do is say no!
Then move to the next vendor...
Good luck!
Old 07-25-15, 07:58 AM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Wow!!! $275 versus $4,840.72 from the dealer. I get the impression this part does not often fail. So, it's definitely worth taking the chance.

If Lexus won't install it, I'll just have to get the installation steps (I already have some of them ) and either go after it myself or find someone else who's willing to try.

I did call Sewell and the parts guy needed to do some research. His parts list does not show the Luggage Front Lock Switch (LH) by that name but does show 3 roof limit switches selling for about $100 each. He's suppose to call me back. I'm curious what he comes up with.

Quick Reply: Roof stalling issues & error code