SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Roof stalling issues & error code

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-15, 08:09 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rlp,

Try this part number for the switch 84290-24080 And here is a link for the switch quoted at 69 and some change if you want to go that route.

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...290-24080.html

By the way, I got that part number off Bgw's post about the parts catalog

http://toyotapartscatalog.com/lexus/...i-atm-2001-us/

Anyway, there are some options for you.

QUOTE=rlp1949;9126355]Wow!!! $275 versus $4,840.72 from the dealer. I get the impression this part does not often fail. So, it's definitely worth taking the chance.

If Lexus won't install it, I'll just have to get the installation steps (I already have some of them ) and either go after it myself or find someone else who's willing to try.

I did call Sewell and the parts guy needed to do some research. His parts list does not show the Luggage Front Lock Switch (LH) by that name but does show 3 roof limit switches selling for about $100 each. He's suppose to call me back. I'm curious what he comes up with.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-25-15, 02:54 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sewell called back. They identified the limit switch in the front lock hinge. They quoted me like $82 for that switch rather than the $4,840.72 quoted by Lexus of Bellevue for the assembled hinge. Of course, Helogadget's lead is for just $69.

I am so relieved by the eBay used hinge ($279 asking) and the quotes for the switch alone!! I think it was Johnny Cakes who said an SC without a retractable top is just another car. At the all-in price of $6,750 with the dealer, my SC would have been just another car for quite a while.

I have decided to buy the eBay assembled hinge. The eBay price sounds incredibly cheap now that I know what the whole hinge sells for. The complete hinge covers me in case the problem is actually more than just the switch. I'm going to do some searching in my home area for a gifted independent mechanic, who also enjoys a challenge and something new and different.

I sincerely thank all of you guys who have offered such welcome help.

Last edited by rlp1949; 07-25-15 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-25-15, 03:23 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear we could help! This forum is truly a great resource I believe. Please keep us informed of your repair!
Old 07-25-15, 03:44 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Rip, the company Helo listed looks very good but be sure to ask them if it comes with a warranty and have them confirm that the part was tested.
Many tImes, and think about it, these companies post many parts and I am sure they test them but you never know.
It can also be in your favor to call them, just google there name and it might show up.
When you are on the eBay site, do a search for this part, sc430 roof hinge, check out all of the vendors.
Last, make them an offer, unless you are just good with the price...
Old 08-05-15, 08:10 AM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

An update: I bought the complete hinge assembly with a limit switch on eBay for $275. It arrived several days ago. Lexus of Bellevue has decided it will not install a used part. I can understand their reluctance because they can't warranty a used part. I then asked if they would install a new limit switch and they said no. They said that sometimes the issue is more than just the switch. I have a hard time understanding that. $82 versus $4,800? That's a bit like replacing the entire front end instead of replacing just the ball joints.

The service advisor said to check with body shops about the part installation. I will do that. Bwg70, are there just a few more pages of installation instructions in the manual? If so, could you please copy those pages for me? I'd like to have them in hand when I talk to body shops.
Old 08-05-15, 10:00 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rlp1949
An update: I bought the complete hinge assembly with a limit switch on eBay for $275. It arrived several days ago. Lexus of Bellevue has decided it will not install a used part. I can understand their reluctance because they can't warranty a used part. I then asked if they would install a new limit switch and they said no. They said that sometimes the issue is more than just the switch. I have a hard time understanding that. $82 versus $4,800? That's a bit like replacing the entire front end instead of replacing just the ball joints.

The service advisor said to check with body shops about the part installation. I will do that. Bwg70, are there just a few more pages of installation instructions in the manual? If so, could you please copy those pages for me? I'd like to have them in hand when I talk to body shops.
I don't see why the Lexus Dealer would not consider doing the part change . If you agreed to a flat per hour rate and signed a disclaimer not holding them responsible if the switch did not cure the problem , I would ask the Agency Service manager if he could intervene Not good customer relations to flat out refuse.
Old 08-05-15, 10:45 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
I don't see why the Lexus Dealer would not consider doing the part change . If you agreed to a flat per hour rate and signed a disclaimer not holding them responsible if the switch did not cure the problem , I would ask the Agency Service manager if he could intervene Not good customer relations to flat out refuse.
I agree with Mister Blister. I would make an appointment to see the manager. Have a written, signed statement in which you acknowledge that they are simply performing a part exchange per your instructions, there are no warranties express or implied, there are no representations of success, that this might make it worse, and yet you waive all claims and hold them harmless.

If that doesn't work, rather than a random mechanic, maybe they could refer you to someone or, alternatively, tell you who they send their body work to. A collision guy is going to know hinge replacement. Any job is easier the second time, so you want someone with experience.
Old 08-05-15, 11:44 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

And if those ideas do not work, wait for a mechanic to get off, then ask him if he would be interested in doing the work for you or ask him who he thinks might be interested in doing the work.

Just my two cents...
Old 08-05-15, 01:07 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have the time, highly recommend you try to dissect the problem yourself. We are here to help on this forum, and are here to help!
Old 08-05-15, 05:16 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rlp1949
Bwg70, are there just a few more pages of installation instructions in the manual? If so, could you please copy those pages for me? I'd like to have them in hand when I talk to body shops.
I completely understand and will try look again tomorrow after work...
Old 08-05-15, 11:00 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

I have considered doing the job myself but reserve judgment until I can see the full extent of the work as shown in the service manual. I got a measure of the work required when the Lexus service rep told me the job required 10 hours to complete.

Have you ever run across anyone else with a problem involving this luggage front lock switch? It seems to be uncommon. That would explain why a $4800 new part sells for about $300 as used (more parts from wrecks than demand for the part).

I agree that I expected a more sympathetic response from a Lexus dealer. My contact with other Lexus dealers has usually been just that. I can only guess that most of the customers with this dealer are not put off by a repair bill that's almost $7000. The service rep did discuss my request with his manager and it was the manager's decision to decline. I would have liked to go in and talk with them but it's a 3 hour drive each way. I may have to consider offering a written waiver of the repair warranty.

We have house guests this week, but next week I will be talking with several of the better local shops and will know how limited my options are here locally.

I do very much appreciate the advice and counsel from all of you.
Old 08-06-15, 08:10 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Top problems are just somewhat rare in the first place, so there probably aren't many out there with the same problem. I think that I have an intermittent issue with a sensor related to my package tray/platform but have never diagnosed it.

Is there a Toyota dealer nearby to you? If so, you might ask them if they have someone qualified to work on it. Also look for an independent shop nearby that specializes in Lexus.
Old 08-06-15, 01:19 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Good ideas. The Toyota dealer's service department has already told me they do not want to take on this repair. The Lexus service people suggested body shops and said they would provide names of some Seattle area outfits that they know do this work.
Old 08-06-15, 02:20 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

As requested rip1949, see post 3.
NOTE: a couple of pages are out of order.
Old 08-06-15, 03:12 PM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Thank you, Bgw!!! I will print out the steps and show them to the local shops.

I scrolled through the instructions and they look intimidating! The SST looks like a positioning jig. Am I interpreting that correctly??

Quick Reply: Roof stalling issues & error code