SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Need Advice on Non-Runflats

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-03, 09:23 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Need Advice on Non-Runflats

Okay, I'm ready to take the plunge, so I've just gone through the process of speaking with Tire Rack re: the different tire options for the SC430. After deciding on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, they put me in touch with a recommended tire expert in the area. He told me that the NON-runflats on this car will cause much more body roll because the sidewalls are softer than the runflats. He went on to say that he actually did the conversion on an SC430 and the owner was so unhappy he traded the car in.

Fetalsono, Bengreen, Larry, and anyone else who has switched out the runflats for the Michelins... what are your impressions? All the comments I've seen have indicated that handling has been improved as well as ride. Is that the case? Have you seen an increase in body roll from the Michelins?

I really need your advice before I take the plunge. Thanks!

DSeag2:
Old 04-01-03, 10:50 AM
Silvertoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased all season Yokahamas as I didn't want tires that were not good in rain and poor weather. I don't take the car out in the snow! I have been exceedingly pleased with them. The ride is significantly improved and I notice no cornering changes which detract. The price point was almost half of the michelin tires which I found attractive.
Old 04-01-03, 02:13 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Whoever told you that is nuts. Who did you talk to atTire rack ?? Call again and ask for Greg on Ext 626. He's really sharp and will answer all your questions. Shocks, springs, strut braces and sway bars control body roll, not tires.

I have the regular MP Sports and now have a smoother ride and BETTER handling. Considering it's a low profile to begin with (40's) the sidewall doesn't have much flex in the first place.

Last of all, who trades in a car because they don't like the tires ?

Go for the MP's and you won't be unhappy. Oh, by the way, I've also used Yokohama AVS Intermediates on my VR4 and found them to be a great tire as well. The M's edged them out by just a small margin.
Old 04-01-03, 05:16 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the input, Silvertoy.

Larry, thanks for your response as well. I know you're a fanatic about performance, so if you think the handling's better that's good enough for me. BTW, it wasn't anyone at Tire Rack who told me the story... they were great, and they said there were a number of satisfied owners with these tires. It was a guy at Meineke (which Tire Rack recommended). The guy at Meineke said the SC430 owner was so unhappy with the handling he traded for a Porsche. If that was all he said it would make sense. This car will never be a Porsche, and if I wanted one I would have bought one to start with. What he also said was that because the tire sidewalls are softer than the runflats they cause more body roll.

All I can figure out is he must have been taking the Porsche guy's word for it. Who cares?... I'm going for it!Having the installation done this weekend. Hopefully there will be another raving MP Sport fan on this forum next week. Thanks again.

DSeag2
Old 04-01-03, 07:01 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Way to go. Thanks. You won't be disappointed.

What you said about a Lex not handling like a Porsche is true. There's no comparison.
Old 04-02-03, 12:19 PM
bengreen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice for Dseag2 re: Run-flats

Changing to Michelin (Pilot (a/s).....ranks close to the top of the best decisions I ever made. The car has NEVER FELT BETTER. Handling, turning, ride, etc etc. AND, would you believe...all those strange noises...squeeks, clicks, ticks that used to come from "everywhere"....have COMPLETELY disappeared. Lexus made a huge mistake, IMO, when they equipped the car with the "mandatory " option of Run-flats...they really do a disservice to this fine car. As I said in a previous thread, the combination of the SC430 suspension with the Michelin tires brings out the very best in this fine automobile. LIFE IS TOO SHORT... and you paid big bucks for this car...........why not enjoy it to its fullest!!!!!
Old 04-02-03, 12:58 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default YUP!

Originally posted by Larry
Way to go. Thanks. You won't be disappointed.

What you said about a Lex not handling like a Porsche is true. There's no comparison.
I'll second that!

..which is why I also own a Porsche

There is a night and day difference between the 2.... and I drive them for completely different reasons.

So many people seem to misunderstand the SC430. If you understand it's purpose, you'll totally love it.. If you are looking for a BMW M3 or Porsche like ride (suspension, handling), then you shouldn't even walk into a Lexus dealership!!!!!!
Old 04-03-03, 12:46 PM
MedDawg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My final second-car decision came down to the SC430 or a 1996-97 Porsche 911 TwinTurbo (wife's car is an LS430). I really wanted a convertible since I had never had one, and of course liked the reliability of the Lexus. I wanted to get it through a lease, thinking that I might want something different in a few years (would have had to buy the 911tt, so another reason to get the SC430). I originally was planning on getting an M3 convertible, but after two test drives (with the whole family), it just wasn't what I wanted. I chose the SC430 and am very happy with it. I also took under consideration that I still may decide to add the 911tt as a third car in a couple of years. :-)
Old 04-05-03, 05:44 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was impressed with the reviews of the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 ($155/tire from Tirerack), so I decided to purchase those instead of Michelin Pilots as most of you did. If anyone here with more information or experience can convince me that I made a mistake, please do and I will change my order.

BTW - I also am having the dealer install a donut spare kit. which will be about $520. I guess my groceries will have to go in the back seat when I put the top down.
Old 04-05-03, 06:49 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Default WOOHOO! No runflats!

Dumped the Bridgestone Potenza runflats today and went with the Michelin Pilot Sports. Everything you guys have been saying is true... better ride, better handling, better cornering, you name it! Body roll seems more in check and there is nothing "floaty" about the ride as someone mentioned in another post. The car feels more sporty and at the same time more like a Lexus.

I was waffling because of the spare tire dilemna but I no longer care. Fix-a-Flat, donut spare, no spare... whatever I end up with... it's worth it. Put 10,000 miles on the runflats... that was 10,000 miles too many!

Thanks again, guys, for your input. Just another example of why this forum is so great!

DSeag2