SC430 Broken Antenna $900 alternatives? DIY, low tech

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-15, 10:19 PM
Frankinva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink SC430 Broken Antenna $900 alternatives? DIY, low tech

Hey all,
I have a SC430 and the antenna won't go up anymore and makes a grinding noise. LExus wanted $900 to fix it! It seems like I can buy for $30 http://amzn.to/1GpurAY to replace it, but it also seems like a major hassle for a non car guy. Like to take out most of the back etc. Not easy for a newbie.

Is there some simple option where I can get a universal stubby type like this
http://amzn.to/1CKypJw that wouldn't require a complete redo of everything?

Ultimately what is the easiest solution to have decent, not great, radio sound.

MAybe something like this http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...SC430/1031.jpg

But I also dont want to drill or modify.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-15, 10:32 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankinva
Hey all,
I have a SC430 and the antenna won't go up anymore and makes a grinding noise. LExus wanted $900 to fix it! It seems like I can buy for $30 http://amzn.to/1GpurAY to replace it, but it also seems like a major hassle for a non car guy. Like to take out most of the back etc. Not easy for a newbie.

Is there some simple option where I can get a universal stubby type like this
http://amzn.to/1CKypJw that wouldn't require a complete redo of everything?

Ultimately what is the easiest solution to have decent, not great, radio sound.

MAybe something like this http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...SC430/1031.jpg

But I also dont want to drill or modify.

Thanks!
..there's a couple of threads about antenna mods,so I'm pretty sure someone will give you some suggestions.I can tell you this,I don't think there is anyway of modding or fixing your old antenna without removing the rear carpeted area. I've replaced my mast a couple of times & it wasn't a bad job.I think I payed about $15 for the new mast. Also, since you do hear the grinding noise, that's letting you know that the motor is still working
Old 07-17-15, 05:42 AM
Taysdad
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fix is more than likely unbelievably simple. Most of us on this board have replaced our antenna mast at some point here due to it not working anymore. The good news is if you hear "grinding" is that it sounds like your motor still works, but the mast is broken. If this is the case, it's a VERY simple fix -- ~5minutes in total to replace the mast. No removing of panels, no getting into the trunk.

My suggestion is to do the following:

(1) locate the replacing antenna mast thread on this forum or Google it for the sc430. I remember there is quite a nice write up.
(2) TODAY - take out he old antenna mast so that the motor doesn't burn out trying to make it go up/down when it won't move. The write up shows how to do this.
(3) order a new mast. Some people have used aftermarket without any issue. I used the original lexus part (ordered from Sewell). I don't really think it matters.
(4) install new mast once it arrives.

If this doesn't fix your issue, you're only out a few bucks and a couple minutes of time in total.
PS -- two people make the job much easier as one needs to be at the antenna and one at the radio controls.

Good luck and let us know how it is going.
Old 07-17-15, 05:46 AM
Taysdad
Pit Crew

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-02-sc430.html
Old 07-17-15, 11:33 AM
Frankinva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exactly

Originally Posted by mademedoit
The $9 alternative is waiting for you at your local Walmart...
So this would be perfect. Is this the exact model? I would rather buy it online then go there and see they are sold out or 5 variations.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-RM...tenna/16652627

So with the 5 minutes, I just pull out the other one and connect this? Dont I have to cut off the motor somehow? Seems easy at first but them devil in the details.

Thank you all for your answers.
Old 07-17-15, 12:18 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Wish it was as easy as plug and play on the antenna.

There are many posts on the antenna modification, unfortunately none of them is plug and play.

For one you will have to turn off the power into the motor or disconnect the plug inside, which means you will have to tear down the trunk.
Old 07-17-15, 04:32 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

I did the Tacoma antenna mod.

15" Black spring steel
Old 07-17-15, 06:58 PM
mandyfig

The S2000 Antenna!
Attached Thumbnails SC430 Broken Antenna 0 alternatives? DIY, low tech-img_0960.jpg   SC430 Broken Antenna 0 alternatives? DIY, low tech-img_0962.jpg  
Old 07-18-15, 03:48 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TRD carbon fiber
Attached Thumbnails SC430 Broken Antenna 0 alternatives? DIY, low tech-image.jpg  
Old 07-19-15, 04:56 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

My Radio shack antenna. Much like others here, there's no true connection for the radio so it's mostly just for looks. After I removed my OEM antenna mast, I just attached this to the antenna hole. I didn't have to tear down the trunk at all, and I still get good AM/FM reception since our car's have the antenna in the windshield. Check the link below for my build.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...a+mod+opinions
Attached Thumbnails SC430 Broken Antenna 0 alternatives? DIY, low tech-8.jpg   SC430 Broken Antenna 0 alternatives? DIY, low tech-img_20130925_161537_361.jpg   SC430 Broken Antenna 0 alternatives? DIY, low tech-img_20130925_161630_493.jpg   SC430 Broken Antenna 0 alternatives? DIY, low tech-img_20130926_123439_191.jpg   SC430 Broken Antenna 0 alternatives? DIY, low tech-img_20130926_135256_878.jpg  

Old 07-19-15, 08:45 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mademedoit
^Not trying to be rude Shawn but you did it wrong my friend.

My $9 antenna is most def "plugged in" and I also took the time to completely remove the old one for the small weight savings...

I dont see it as wrong. and $9 might be a steal, but I didn't want the headache of tearing down the trunk. That's a headache in it's own, however you want to slice it. In my opinion I also feel that your antenna is a little long for my taste. I wanted btn 5-7 inches to keep it looking sporty. Not necessarily a long floppy antenna back there. Also, I don't care much about weight reduction factor. But I do feel the OEM Toyota Tundra antenna is the best way to go for anyone looking for a functional antenna. Did your $9 Walmart antenna have an actually antenna connection or was it only the bolt to hold it in place?
Old 07-19-15, 11:39 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Mademedoit, you're truly being a Douchebag. You're cavalier attitude is not appreciated and at first i didnt find it rude but now i do. When I did my mod, every antenna i located was a dummy antenna with no true connection or else required major modification to fit in the OEM space, so I did what I needed to do two years ago. I'm happy you found an alternative that satisfied your needs. As did I. I've done a lot of mods to my car too and electronics are my specialty but if I didn't feel the need to tear up the trunk after I've done it enough times for the gain of fm stations that I was already getting through the windshield antenna is my prerogative. Im not an idiot and dont need your disprectful attitude. So please save it for someone else.
Old 07-20-15, 09:03 AM
NovaRnder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default not good!!

Let me be the first one to break this up before it's too late! First of all, I'm not siding with any of you two, mademedoit & ShawnOk. In fact, you two are currently active on this forum and provide a lot of tips and insights which I'm a big fan!! Healthy discussions and arguments are one thing but once punches are being thrown below the belt, usually it ends up to no good. So let me be the one to suggest from you two my forum idols to let's us forgive each other and let cooler heads prevail before it's too late. I'm still your big fan and will continue to read your insightful comments and posts, Peace!!
Old 07-20-15, 09:08 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

I'll just speak my peace and be done with this thread. I don't think I ever said it was too hard to take the trunk apart. I think this guy just assumed that was the issue. It's not hard or difficult, especially with a tear down DIY on this forum. We're not idiots; it's just a personal choice. In my opinion, it just a waste of time for the gained reward (ie. slightly improved FM signal). I'm allowed to have that opinion as a active member of this forum. If someone wants to spend an hour and half to tear down the trunk and $9, or on the opposite end spend $12 and save that time, that's each party's respective choice. Trolling to instigate an argument for the sake of a "few laughs" is childish and immature. There's no wrong or right, if the owner is happy with the results. It's that simple. Each member is allowed to make their decision and this forum is a place where members help each other but in this instance that was not the case. It was an attack and I reacted as such. We have experiences modifying out cars however we feel. Anyway, that's all I have to say about it. Not everyone has to like each other here. So be it, yo.

On another note, thanks for keeping the peace and insight, Nova and BGW.
Old 08-09-15, 09:29 AM
mandyfig

Great! Now take a look at this...
Attached Thumbnails SC430 Broken Antenna 0 alternatives? DIY, low tech-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: SC430 Broken Antenna $900 alternatives? DIY, low tech