SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help . .. car overheating a lot, now maybe new engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-15, 11:08 PM
InLyneTrbo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A compression test is a simple and cost-effective way of being able to tell if the headgasket has been blown around a specific cylinder (that cylinder will read low). I would at least run that test first to decide what to do next. If compression is good all around, I wouldn't worry about a headgasket issue at that point and just replace the radiator.
Old 07-08-15, 01:58 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by InLyneTrbo
A compression test is a simple and cost-effective way of being able to tell if the headgasket has been blown around a specific cylinder (that cylinder will read low). I would at least run that test first to decide what to do next. If compression is good all around, I wouldn't worry about a headgasket issue at that point and just replace the radiator.
What you are saying is very logical and precise!

Nina made me realize I must explain to my wife that if this ever happens to her, she MUST find a safe place to stop ASAP and stay put until help arrives. Hopefully me! ;-)

Two things to note that are concerning in Nina's description, the car never went to H and more importantly, when the heater stopped blowing hot air. When the heater stopped, it meant the water level dropped below the water pump impeller blade and engine cooling stopped. It also meant the water level may have dropped below the temperature gauge sensor and was not registering correctly.

Last edited by Bgw70; 07-08-15 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-08-15, 04:15 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nina97
Thanks all, calling them in a bit, getting a ride to shop later today to check it all out, probably asking a guy friend to join me. . . . will let you all know what they say . . .. thanks so much ... . . feel more confident now
So hoe did it go?
Old 07-08-15, 10:59 AM
Nina97
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for you help, it was very reassuring . . .

Ok here it goes, so i called them yesterday bringing up some of the stuff everyone mentioned on here and they said it would be best for me just to come in so they can explain it while looking at car. . . .

got there, first thing they said was that I misunderstood them about engine damage . . . that it was not "probably" but that it "could" happen . . . didn't feel like arguing that so just said ok . . .

asked them to go ahead and do the tests ($350) and they agreed to give me credit towards any needed repair.

today said pressure in engine was ok??? and that no combustion gases found in coolant??? so that the engine was ok . . .

He showed me where the radiator had a crack in top plastic part where hose connects so need a new radiator . . . also said water pump was leaking coolant so it was needed to be replace . . . lastly that my thermostat was stuck (open or closed???) can't remember . . .

I guess after all this my car will be all set for summer . . . just not my credit card . .. . lol . . .

Should I look for anything specific when i get the car back???

thanks again!!!!
Old 07-08-15, 11:10 AM
InLyneTrbo
Pole Position

Very nice! Looks like I was wrong (glad I was). With what they described, it looks like you might be spending around $5-$600 for repairs, including parts. Much cheaper than how much it could've cost you if the engine did overheat really bad.

After this experience, make sure to check your radiator every other month or so to see if there is coolant in there. If not, add coolant until the radiator is full and you can see coolant almost spilling out (remove the radiator cap and pour in the coolant). If you notice that you keep having to fill it up with coolant, it's a good sign that there is a leak, and you can catch it before this happens again.
Old 07-08-15, 11:15 AM
Nina97
Driver School Candidate

Yes I was glad you were wrong . . . lol also . . . good tips to check on especially since this is an older car.

I think the fact that i was asking more questions than the first time might have helped me out with the mechanic shop . . . i prob almost sounded like i know what i was talking about lol

thanks again
Old 07-08-15, 11:36 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you know if the car has the timing belt replaced? If not then get that take car of while they are doing the water pump. Also it will be a good time to have all plugs changed as well.
If and when all these were done then you can rest assured to have pretty much trouble free car for next 100.000 miles.
Old 07-08-15, 11:51 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like you have a bad thermostat ($20) and a hose that needs replacement ($10). The water pump may or may not actually be leaking, but given the mileage it probably should be changed in addition to the timing belt.

You might consider this good news, since you'll need to do this maintenance anyways and it is really the only bigger ticket item you are likely to face.

Let us know if you need any other help. There are lots and lots of ways the CL community can help you save money and/or not get ripped off.
Old 07-08-15, 02:04 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Yes I was glad you were wrong . . . lol also . . . good tips to check on especially since this is an older car.

I think the fact that i was asking more questions than the first time might have helped me out with the mechanic shop . . . i prob almost sounded like i know what i was talking about lol

thanks again
Hey Nina, it would be advisable to ask the mechanic to keep and show you the parts he replaced...just ask them nicely unless you really trust this shop.

Also, please be sure to have them change the following parts unless you know when they were changed last. This is VERY important and others have already mentioned the timing belt.

Water Pump
Timing belt
Tensioner
Tensioner pulley
Drive belts
Upper and lower radiator hoses
Thermostat

If you have access to another car for a week or two, you could order a kit online that will have everything you need! I know you do not know me from Adam, but you should take care of these items now and you will be set for a very long time!!! (bb430) Most if not all of us have performed this maintenance. My son and I did my wife's SC430 and it is safe and secure! I would let her drive it anywhere!

Like you said, the car did not cost you much but it is worth $10.5k (InLyneTrbo)

This will cost a few extra dollars, but will be worth it! If you do go this route and I really hope you do, take pictures of the kit, then compare the parts they show you...

As you can see, there are many who want all SC430 to enjoy their cars and when something goes wrong they try to help! (LexBrett)

Guys, did I miss any parts that should be changed?

Here is the link Nina, the kit is the TKT-021

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AISIN-Engine-Timing-Belt-Component-Kit-TKT-021-/291487609716?fits=Model%3ASC430&hash=item43de03f374&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Bgw70; 07-08-15 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-08-15, 02:49 PM
theazz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2003 SC timing belt and all that was mentioned by bgw70 was about $800. Lexus recommends change at about 90k miles
Absolutely you need to have this done. I'm thinking about $1100 with radiator work and timing belt stuff. But you'll have a great car for a long time.
theazz
Old 07-08-15, 04:35 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Bgw, the list looks pretty complete to me for this time around. There are other items that ought to be checked out at sometime but are not necessary at this time to get Nina going again. Besides, her credit card is going to need to take a rest after this, I suspect.

BTW Nina, welcome to the forum. You ought to be in for a long time of enjoyable driving, not to mention top down driving. Keep us posted. If you have questions about other parts, just take a picture and post it on the forum. Also, be sure to read the "stickies" at the top of the forum page. There are tons of information in those!
Old 07-08-15, 06:41 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

And quite a nice car to be driving at your age!!!
Old 07-09-15, 05:54 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Hi all, i have a 2005 SC that was passed down from my mom, so don't know that much about it.

Last week it overheated with steam coming out of the front area. . . . shop said my radiator had a crack, but that i probably overheated the engine and that they would need to rework it all . . . the car is still at their shop, but was wondering if i am better off just getting rid of this one or buying another one.

I asked them for a cost est. they said that they would have to open up the engine before they could tell me that, but want to charge me to do that. Asked them to hold off .. . . any thoughts before i respond???

thanks, please share any advice you may have on this . . . . i am stressing !!!!

- nina
...I'm with bb430 on this.....I would have them put a new radiator & coolant in the car,then give it a go. I had a very similar situation with my Sc a few years ago. I was driving & began to notice steam coming from under the hood. The temp gauge was higher than normal,but not at the H. I simply pulled over until the car cooled off. The radiator had a small crack in the plastic & the coolant was shooting out onto the engine, which was causing the steam. I simply replaced the radiator,radiator cap & coolant.....no more issue. Also, I had more miles than you at the time of my radiator failure
Old 07-12-15, 07:04 PM
Nina97
Driver School Candidate

yay, great to have my car back . . . don't have to bum rides now lol . .. . . didn't do any of the other stuff you all suggested . . . kinda felt uncomfortable talking to guys at the shop . . . . .

plus . . . . this repair ate into my summer cloth shopping money . . .

can it be done later??

thanks all

- nina
Old 07-12-15, 07:35 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Glad to hear that you got it back and are back on the road. What all did you have done? Do you know what all maintenance has been done to it in the past? That will determine how soon you would want to get the other items done.

Quick Reply: Help . .. car overheating a lot, now maybe new engine?