SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Accident tonight in rain :-(

Old 06-23-15, 05:44 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Will the Lady deliver the car?
Oh is that the modded car thread with the hot lady? I like..
Old 06-23-15, 05:53 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Oh is that the modded car thread with the hot lady? I like..
LoL, yes, unless Mr.Mark has another one!
Old 06-25-15, 12:02 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

LoL, yes, unless Mr.Mark has another one!
Lady.......or modded car.....
Old 06-25-15, 02:03 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMark
Lady.......or modded car.....
Exactly!!! ;-)
Old 06-25-15, 04:17 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Exactly!!! ;-)
MrMark is a lucky man :-)
Old 06-28-15, 12:40 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Driving home tonight with my fiancé from a baby shower. It started to rain very intense. I drove very slowly with my hazards. It was bad but still drivable (or so I thought). There was some slight flooding in several places and I kept going. Maybe 6-10 inches at the most. The flooding was just a few feet at a time, and other cars seemed fine so it didn't seem like it would pose a problem.

But then it happened. My car started slowing down. My first thought was hydro lock. Maybe water got into the intake. I pressed the gas more and the car kept slowing and felt heavy and then just died.

Fortunately I made it to the shoulder of the road and a couple good sumaritans pushed me into an adjacent parking lot.

When I was pushing my car I was shocked to see oil spilling out. And the passenger side bumper was almost ripped off.
I peered under the car and the under carriage was ripped off.

I must have it something or something was tangled under my car. Maybe a tree? I don't know.

I called my insurance and to my pleasant surprise I have rental converge and a zero dollar deductible.
Also nobody was hurt. Wish me luck dealing with the insurance company..
While I probably shouldn't get into detail, the good news is that my car is repairable and the insurance company is going to take care of everything. When it is appropriate I will give more details. The repairs are extensive, so I consider myself luck that the car is being repaired as opposed to totaled (if totaled would get small check due to low blue book given vintage)
Old 06-29-15, 08:09 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default Accident details at last

Driving home tonight with my fiancé from a baby shower. It started to rain very intense. I drove very slowly with my hazards. It was bad but still drivable (or so I thought). There was some slight flooding in several places and I kept going. Maybe 6-10 inches at the most. The flooding was just a few feet at a time, and other cars seemed fine so it didn't seem like it would pose a problem.

But then it happened. My car started slowing down. My first thought was hydro lock. Maybe water got into the intake. I pressed the gas more and the car kept slowing and felt heavy and then just died.

Fortunately I made it to the shoulder of the road and a couple good sumaritans pushed me into an adjacent parking lot.

When I was pushing my car I was shocked to see oil spilling out. And the passenger side bumper was almost ripped off.
I peered under the car and the under carriage was ripped off.

I must have it something or something was tangled under my car. Maybe a tree? I don't know.

I called my insurance and to my pleasant surprise I have rental converge and a zero dollar deductible.
Also nobody was hurt. Wish me luck dealing with the insurance company..
Insurance company just authorized repairs and my Lexus at the shop. During the big storm I must have hit something, although I didn't feel a thing. Probably because I was driving 5 mph and rain was beating down and explosive lightening. It looks as if something tore the bumper and then dragged on under carriage and ripped off cover and some oil lines. Then oil must have spilled out causing the carastrophic engine failure..

Under carriage ripped off oil spilled out- what could have done this and I didn't even feel it

Wtf!?

Old 06-29-15, 08:29 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

The good thing with our cars is that hey hold value and therefore in an unfortunate event of an accident, more than likely the market value is still substantial and therefor the insurance company will allow the repair to be done which means the "total loss" value is still higher than the overall repair cost.
Old 06-29-15, 08:43 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Yes I agree. Otherwise most likely would have been declared totaled.
Old 06-29-15, 01:59 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Incredible and great news! So lucky that you didn't damage the engine.
Old 06-29-15, 07:40 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Then oil must have spilled out causing the catastrophic engine failure..
Have they been any more precise about exactly what will need to be done to your engine? Or are they just putting in a rebuilt engine from the market?

Sounds like this is turning out well for you -- fingers crossed for a good repair. Hey, how about a plug for your insurance company? Seems like they are doing right here.
Old 06-29-15, 09:10 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

LexBrett, what are you running in front of the radiator? the red thing? an intercooler? Sorry, no idea what it is. I'm lost.
Old 06-30-15, 04:17 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
LexBrett, what are you running in front of the radiator? the red thing? an intercooler? Sorry, no idea what it is. I'm lost.
That's a transmission cooler! Very easy and beneficial mod! Let me know if you want more info!
Old 06-30-15, 04:21 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Have they been any more precise about exactly what will need to be done to your engine? Or are they just putting in a rebuilt engine from the market?

Sounds like this is turning out well for you -- fingers crossed for a good repair. Hey, how about a plug for your insurance company? Seems like they are doing right here.
The engine threw a rod. Couldn't believe it. Must have been to oil spilling out and lack of lubrication from collision. They are putting a rebuilt engine in my car and a bumper. My insurance is Allstate, and my experience thus far has been outstanding. But I'm waiting for the repairs to complete to give them recognition. Things still could go downhill..
Old 06-30-15, 07:58 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The engine threw a rod. Couldn't believe it. Must have been to oil spilling out and lack of lubrication from collision. They are putting a rebuilt engine in my car and a bumper. My insurance is Allstate, and my experience thus far has been outstanding. But I'm waiting for the repairs to complete to give them recognition. Things still could go downhill..
Wow! That's amazing. Have you been reporting your mods to them or are they just going on the KBB value for the year.

I wonder what the heck you hit without even feeling it - will remain a mystery I guess.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Accident tonight in rain :-(