SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Accident tonight in rain :-(

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-15, 07:31 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Accident tonight in rain :-(

Driving home tonight with my fiancé from a baby shower. It started to rain very intense. I drove very slowly with my hazards. It was bad but still drivable (or so I thought). There was some slight flooding in several places and I kept going. Maybe 6-10 inches at the most. The flooding was just a few feet at a time, and other cars seemed fine so it didn't seem like it would pose a problem.

But then it happened. My car started slowing down. My first thought was hydro lock. Maybe water got into the intake. I pressed the gas more and the car kept slowing and felt heavy and then just died.

Fortunately I made it to the shoulder of the road and a couple good sumaritans pushed me into an adjacent parking lot.

When I was pushing my car I was shocked to see oil spilling out. And the passenger side bumper was almost ripped off.
I peered under the car and the under carriage was ripped off.

I must have it something or something was tangled under my car. Maybe a tree? I don't know.

I called my insurance and to my pleasant surprise I have rental converge and a zero dollar deductible.
Also nobody was hurt. Wish me luck dealing with the insurance company..
Old 06-20-15, 07:45 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Nooooooooo...... Sorry to hear about your bad luck. We've been getting LOTS of rain here in the Chicago burbs for the last week and rain again tonight. Going out to the bar with my wife, but going to take the SUV. I fear the same situation when it's torrential downpour season. Drainage has been a headache around here and can't see below the surface. I saw a manhole cover on the divided highway near my house that sunk into the ground and then an Infinity G35 had run into the sink hole. It sheared his front right wheel clean off! EMS services everywhere. I hope everything works out and there's no major issues other than body work. Glad no one was injured and that it will be covered.
Old 06-20-15, 08:57 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry to hear that.....that must be really suck.

Mine was lowered with coilover and I try to avoid driving in rain/snow.
Old 06-21-15, 03:21 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Lex, I am so bummed for you :-(. The body work is one thing but oil coming out is a serious concern! Keep us posted!
Old 06-21-15, 04:05 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, that sucks. I agree, yesterday was bad luck day for SC's! Glad you guys are OK, Hope the damage is not as bad as it seems.
Old 06-21-15, 06:58 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the pep talk guys. Will go take pics and will let you know. I fear the worst...
Old 06-21-15, 07:25 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Thanks for the pep talk guys. Will go take pics and will let you know. I fear the worst...
Fingers crossed for ya Lex, hopefully no engine damage.
Old 06-21-15, 08:41 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Holy crap, Lex, that sucks. Hopefully the insurance company will give a good settlement and you can either fix or get another. Dang, man, that really blows. Keep us posted.
Old 06-21-15, 08:56 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Fingers crossed..
Old 06-21-15, 12:13 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

So sorry to hear about that. It is bad enough to have car troubles/damage but to have it during a down pour is kind of insult to injury. Not only are you miserable about the car, the weather adds to your misery. Best of luck. I hope that it is all repairable and affordable (relatively speaking).
Old 06-21-15, 01:18 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

wow.. sorry to hear.. I hope you two are alright... and that sounds like quite some damage.. not knowing what it was I can just imagine how bad the rain was :S

hope everything works out! goodluck
Old 06-21-15, 02:26 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Yes we are all ok. Thanks. I'm probably going to wait to give more specific details until the claim is processed..
Old 06-21-15, 05:46 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Understand Lex, let us know the details when able...I am very curious about the oil you saw...
Old 06-21-15, 09:18 PM
NovaRnder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh no just saw this posting, so sorry to hear about this but I'm glad you and your fiance are alright tho. Here in Vegas now but I heard from my wife that the storm that passed by Northern VA this past Saturday was something else. It only lasted half hour or less but caused a lot of damages and several tornado warnings. About your SC, I know how much you love that car so anything happens to it and I know in no time that car will be revived! Keep in touch and I know when I get back from Vegas we will be busy fixing up and modding our SCs again.
Old 06-22-15, 04:15 AM
Taysdad
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear this.
As you and many others have said.....the bright spot is nobody was hurt.
Cars can be repaired. Who knows, perhaps this will be a good thing and you'll get a car in return that is in better shape than before the accident.

Having dealt with an accident before on my Lexus, I encourage you to only use new, genuine Lexus repair parts.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Accident tonight in rain :-(