SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Do our timing belts last forever? cant find large number of people who broke them

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 07:21 PM
sc430faste
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do our timing belts last forever? cant find large number of people who broke them

I did a search already and came up with one sc430 who broke their timing belt, it looks like their radiator hose broke and took the timing belt with it. I also searched the LS430 forum and only one person broke theirs because they used aftermarket parts for the timing belt replacement.

It looks like our timing belts pretty much last forever? I am at 155k miles and I do not know if the previous owners changed it yet, I know I am pushing the luck train but I do not feel like it would break given that I do not hear about it breaking much online compared to other cars like the acura MDX etc
Old 06-09-15, 10:00 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

....I would try to do some research on the car's previous maintanance history & see if i could find out. The number of miles that you get out of the timing belt could vary drastically,depending on alot of factors.I would change it more for insurance & peace of mind.Why take a chance on replacing an engine or becoming #2 on your list
Old 06-10-15, 01:19 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

A second on what Tex said!!!

Why are you NOT interested in changing these vital engine parts?

It could be that Lexus drivers are more aware and have the resources to maintain their vehicles.

If you decide to ignore this maintenance, please do me a favor and let me know how many miles you were able to go before the engine destroyed itself.

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-10-15 at 03:57 AM.
Old 06-10-15, 02:19 AM
SC43052
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A radiator hose broke the timing belt? Or do you mean serpentine belt?
The timing belt is inside the engine behind covers.

At 155k if it has not been serviced before you are overdue for the timing belt service, but the timing belt is not the problem.

Lexus timing belts almost never, never break on their own. What does break Lexus timing belts are seized water pumps, broken tensioners or broken idler pulleys. Once one of these components goes it will take the timing belt with it (and of course valves get smashed by pistons).

The largest reason to change your timing belt is so you can change the water pump, idler pulleys and belt tensioner, removing these potential failure points. The belt has to be removed to change all of these things and the belt is included in the kit, so it gets changed too.

Never let a repair shop talk you into just changing the timing belt. Change it all to remove the real failure points.

I did mine last year and didn't think it was a bad DIY. Time consuming because of all of the crap you need to remove. The important thing is to pay attention to camshaft locations and turn the engine by hand to make sure the timing is correct.
Old 06-10-15, 08:25 AM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SC43052
Lexus timing belts almost never, never break on their own. What does break Lexus timing belts are seized water pumps, broken tensioners or broken idler pulleys. Once one of these components goes it will take the timing belt with it (and of course valves get smashed by pistons).

The largest reason to change your timing belt is so you can change the water pump, idler pulleys and belt tensioner, removing these potential failure points. The belt has to be removed to change all of these things and the belt is included in the kit, so it gets changed too.

In your case, because u not sure when/if was changed, regularly inspect the serpentine belt, if u see cracks, its over due!
Old 06-11-15, 05:06 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know where anyone would ever have enough data, or any data for that matter, to say the belts don't break. If people maintain the cars the belts will be much less likely to break of course. There is no database any of us here can access that would show the number of cars, their mileage, their belt maintenance info and their failure rates in both cases. If someoen doesn't want to change the belts fine. it's pointless to ask others to speculate on whether your belt might break.
Old 06-11-15, 05:15 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SC43052
A radiator hose broke the timing belt? Or do you mean serpentine belt?
The timing belt is inside the engine behind covers.

At 155k if it has not been serviced before you are overdue for the timing belt service, but the timing belt is not the problem.

Never let a repair shop talk you into just changing the timing belt. Change it all to remove the real failure points.

I did mine last year and didn't think it was a bad DIY. Time consuming because of all of the crap you need to remove. The important thing is to pay attention to camshaft locations and turn the engine by hand to make sure the timing is correct.
great advice !
Old 06-12-15, 06:49 PM
SC43052
Driver

You bring up a great point Mademedoit,

In order to keep the water pump healthy it is important to change your coolant every two years.
Coolant contains additives that deteriorate over time, including those that lubricate the water pump.
If you use concentrate coolant or need to add water while on the road use ONLY distilled water.
Old 06-12-15, 07:38 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Wow, it is hard to imagine a good mechanic not changing the water pump with the timing belt, unless the owner specifically instructed him not to. Glad you got it when you did!
Old 06-14-15, 12:12 AM
SC43052
Driver

It shouldn't be too hard to imagine. The FACTORY repair manual in the instructions for replacement of the timing belt reads as follows;

Check the water pump.

1. Visually check the air hole and water hole for coolant leakage.
If leakage is found, replace the water pump

2. Turn the pulley, and check that the water pump bearing moves smoothly and quietly.
If necessary, replace the water pump.

Remove any oil or water on the crankshaft pulley, oil pump pulley, water pump pulley, idler No.1 and idler No.2, and keep them clean.

I guess if you hit 90K miles and the water pump visually checks out and spins nicely then it should be good until 180K miles, at which time you can check it again?
And no mention of examining the idler pulleys - just clean them!
You just spent $600-$800 (more at a Lexus dealership) in labor and you are not going to spend and additional $120 over and above the belt cost to make sure it lasts?

In the mean time if the water pump or idler pulley or tensioner gives up at 150K miles, breaks the belt and your valves get bent well tough s*** ! $3K or more to your favorite mechanic.

Obviously experience created the Aisin Timing Belt Replacement Kit with all of the important parts to be replaced.

Last edited by SC43052; 06-14-15 at 12:31 AM.