SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

My Custom Sirius XM Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-15, 09:24 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default My Custom Sirius XM Install

So I took the initiative after reading about everyone upgrading headunits to give them Sirius XM features. I went to Fry's and picked up a Stratus 7 Tuner with Vehicle kit for $70. Right now there is a rebate promo for $50 after activation. If you've read my other threads, you'd know that I love the OEM look of the radio and don't want to alter it in any way. So, I created a alternative and am pretty happy with the results. The vehicle kit included a PowerConnect dock that allows for FM modulation which worked amazingly to my surprise (I've tested quite a few FM Modulators in the past and always been disappointed), but I wanted the best quality possible so decided to run a hard 3.5mm wire. I mounted the antenna in the most recommend spot on this forum, on the package tray. I ran the antenna wire behind the rear seat, into the small rear cubby, and into the center console between the gap of the track arms. As you can see from the photos, it installed pretty nice. I then ran the power from the cig lighter in the center console and even ran a 3.5mm audio out to a splitter into the VaisTech SL3U through the same track gap and wrapped everything in cable wrap to make aesthetically pleasing. Great quality sound, clear reception. I'm really happy with this upgrade, plus I still have iPod, Bluetooth, and media player functionality that I installed previously. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Ps. I'm getting the rear deflector redone with etched pexiglass so my rear deck LED's will shine up through it and create a nice effect.
Attached Thumbnails My Custom Sirius XM Install-img_20150606_200223.jpg   My Custom Sirius XM Install-img_20150606_200237.jpg   My Custom Sirius XM Install-img_20150606_200312.jpg   My Custom Sirius XM Install-img_20150606_200530.jpg   My Custom Sirius XM Install-img_20150606_200629.jpg  

Last edited by ShawnOk; 06-07-15 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-07-15, 09:41 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
So I took the initiative after reading about everyone upgrading headunits to give them Sirius XM features. I went to Fry's and picked up a Stratus 7 Tuner with Vehicle kit for $70. Right now there is a rebate promo for $50 after activation. If you've read my other threads, you'd know that I love the OEM look of the radio and don't want to alter it in any way. So, I created a alternative and am pretty happy with the results. The vehicle kit included a PowerConnect dock that allows for FM modulation which worked amazingly to my surprise (I've tested quite a few FM Modulators in the past and always been disappointed), but I wanted the best quality possible so decided to run a hard 3.5mm wire. I mounted the antenna in the most recommend spot on this forum, on the package tray. I ran the antenna wire behind the rear seat, into the small rear cubby, and into the center console between the gap of the track arms. As you can see from the photos, it installed pretty nice. I then ran the power from the cig lighter in the center console and even ran a 3.5mm audio out to a splitter into the VaisTech SL3U through the same track gap and wrapped everything in cable wrap to make aesthetically pleasing. Great quality sound, clear reception. I'm really happy with this upgrade, plus I still have iPod, Bluetooth, and media player functionality that I installed previously. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Ps. I'm getting the rear deflector redone with etched pexiglass so my rear deck LED's will shine up through it and create a nice effect.
...really nice installation; this might be a mod I look into
Old 06-08-15, 09:49 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

You know, many times it seems the best work is completed by the owner, not a "professional"
Old 06-08-15, 07:03 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Sweet! I have my XM sat antenna in that location and get signal cut-outs, but they don't bother me for some reason. I've wondered whether the newer antennas have better reception.

Do you get signal cut outs with the antenna placed there?
Old 06-09-15, 10:51 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Interesting alternative. I like it.
Old 06-09-15, 05:00 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Sweet! I have my XM sat antenna in that location and get signal cut-outs, but they don't bother me for some reason. I've wondered whether the newer antennas have better reception.

Do you get signal cut outs with the antenna placed there?
So far, no drops that I've noticed.

Thanks Harold and BGW!
Old 06-09-15, 06:22 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

So far, no drops that I've noticed.
Now that I look more carefully, you have placed the antenna on the package shelf. I got confused because I don't see the glass that goes between the two headrests. So you will definitely get better reception than I do. My fear in that location is that package shelf moves every time the top goes up and down and so the wire is going to have to withstand that. Looks good!
Old 06-10-15, 01:33 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

You know Shawn, if the wire does become a concern, you could place the antenna under the package tray, which is the OEM GPS antenna location. The plastic will not attenuate the receive signal very much and since you said you have not seen any signal dropouts, this would be a good test. If you are willing!
Also, if the system continued to function with no signal degradation, I would be very interested in that antenna brand and model number.
For what it is worth, I placed an XM antenna in the composite ("plastic") material trunk lid of my Trans Am and it works well.

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-10-15 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 09:49 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bgw70
You know Shawn, if the wire does become a concern, you could place the antenna under the package shelf, which is the OEM GPS antenna location. The plastic will not attenuate the receive signal very much and since you said you have not seen any signal dropouts, this would be a good test. If you are willing!
Also, if the system continued to function with no signal degradation, I would be very interested in that antenna brand and model number.
For what it is worth, I placed an XM antenna in the composite ("plastic") material trunk lid of my Trans Am and it works well.
I had originally thought about installing the antenna to the underside of the package tray but I didn't want to mess with the tray as I know it's a critical piece to the operation of the top. I'm still debating on what to do, as I don't really like the look of the antenna ON the shelf. I'll try to figure something out, but I will take a photo of the antenna model # once I start trying to alter it's location.
Old 06-11-15, 05:19 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
You know, many times it seems the best work is completed by the owner, not a "professional"
you can say that again!
Old 06-14-15, 09:56 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

So I moved my antenna to a more conspicuous place rather than right on the package tray. I thought about installing it below the tray but decided I didn't want to alter the tray in anyway since it's prone to problems from what I've read from other threads. I'd rather not risk it. Anyway, I was able to mount it behind the plastic headrest cover. I did have to trim two structural "ribs," to make the antenna fit but shouldn't alter the structural integrity in any way. I did notice a drop from 3 out of 3 to 2 out of 3 on the signal meter and some drops in music while parked, but it is also very cloudy and rainy today in Chicago, so after some drive time I will report back on the signal strength.
Attached Thumbnails My Custom Sirius XM Install-img_20150613_172934.jpg  

Last edited by ShawnOk; 06-14-15 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-15-15, 01:50 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

So I moved my antenna to a more conspicuous place rather than right on the package tray. I thought about installing it below the tray but decided I didn't want to alter the tray in anyway since it's prone to problems from what I've read from other threads. I'd rather not risk it. Anyway, I was able to mount it behind the plastic headrest cover. I did have to trim two structural "ribs," to make the antenna fit but shouldn't alter the structural integrity in any way. I did notice a drop from 3 out of 3 to 2 out of 3 on the signal meter and some drops in music while parked, but it is also very cloudy and rainy today in Chicago, so after some drive time I will report back on the signal strength.
Really nice fabrication!

Is the top of the antenna now facing the rear of the car?

Most geostationary satellites are in an equatorial orbit which makes me wonder how the reception will be when you are driving south.

Last edited by Bgw70; 06-15-15 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-30-16, 08:34 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Thought I would update this thread, as I was just linking it to another thread. I had to move the antenna back to it's location on the package shelf due to drop outs. It's grown on me. Not really an eyesore, either. I don't even notice it anymore. As for the signal while on the shelf. I get 3/3 bars and only lose signal on VERY cloudy days. Never had a problem driving south bound or through tunnels. My wife's Mazda's XM would always drop in the shortest of tunnels and even passing under overpasses.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 01-30-16 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-30-16, 09:17 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the vias soundlinq2 model sl2s with the sound connect tuner. I installed it in the console and ran the wire harness to the radio etc. The kit came with a smaller magnetic antenna that I ran the wire behind the dash up the passenger A pillar and buried the wire into the rubber top molding trough and then laid the antenna down on the short portion of the top that the windshield ledge provides. I find that the signal is good I do get some drops but it is hardly noticeable where it is and it really holds tight to the roof line in front. Car is away in garage for winter I will post a picture next time I am at garage. The kit integrates with the ML radio and I get sat 1 sat 2 sat 3 presets by pressing on the am button and pressing for sat 1 sat 2 sat3. The sound is same as cd

I added the picture of where the antenna is
Attached Thumbnails My Custom Sirius XM Install-img_0988.jpg  

Last edited by mrblister; 01-30-16 at 12:05 PM.