Inserting key in door shuts down my SC430

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 05:27 AM
dbryan
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Inserting key in door shuts down my SC430

Hi All,

Well I'm new to the forum and happy to find this resource. Maybe someone knows whats going on with my 2002 SC430. Every time someone (valet) puts the key in the door to unlock it, the car completely shuts down. The remote won't work. The only way to get it going again is to have the door popped open. This sets off the alarm but once the key is in the ignition and started, it's all good.

oes anyone know what is going on and how to correct this?
Old 06-03-15, 10:28 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is suggest disconnecting your battery for at least 30 minutes to reset the ecu. Works for a lot of glitches with our car.
Old 06-03-15, 10:39 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus! Let us know if disconnecting the battery fixes your problem. If it does not, maybe I can try to recreate the problem.
Old 06-03-15, 12:27 PM
dbryan
Rookie

Default Thanks

Thanks. I'll try it first evening it's not going to rain. Typical Florida summer down here as far as the rain goes.
Old 06-03-15, 12:45 PM
SC43052
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NOTE: These comments are made in the context of the Lexus 2003 factory repair manual. You don't mention the year of your car and I am not familiar with what may have changed in later models.

I am going to throw out a few possibilities as a starting point. As an aside, our SC430 (2002) is my wife’s daily driver (she loves it) and it is not at the house as I write this or else I could go reference the car. I don’t remember if the passenger door also has a key lock. If so, try the key in that lock to see if the car also shuts down.

Apparently there are 2 codes in each key. One is the key code or immobilizer code, and the other is the wireless code. If your key is a replacement it is possible that it wasn’t registered properly, and only the wireless code is working.

Also, in this very complicated theft deterrent system, the replacement of steering wheel cylinder lock can cause door lock mismatch. If the ignition lock were replaced on the car the key would have been changed to match the ignition lock and may now not work on the door.

Quote from 2003 Factory Repair Manual:
NOTICE: When only the ignition key cylinder has been replaced, you can lock or unlock doors by wireless operation using the new key with built-in transmitter but not by inserting it in the door key cylinder. Therefore, keep the original key for door lock/unlock operation in order to avoid troubles caused by a dead transmitter battery in the new key.

Finally, there is a sensor in the door lock which reads the key code and sends it to the immobilizer computer. Apparently the sensor has fallen off some Lexus models, with the result that the door will open but the security code is not passed to the computer so the immobilizer sensing that the door has been opened may be shutting the car down. I don’t know why the alarm doesn’t go off unless the act of using a good key keeps the alarm from sounding. This sensor is also supposed to be fused, but I didn’t see anything in the factory manual in the fuse section that jumped out at me. The manual with regard to fuses is really pitiful. Four pages of fuse panel pictures with abbreviated descriptions for the fuses. No text of what each fuse does other than a three to seven character abbreviation. You might look in the fuse panels to see if you can see any bad fuses.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-15, 02:42 PM
dbryan
Rookie

It is a 2002 and unfortunately the passenger door has no keyhole there.

Since I bought it used this could very well be the situation as it only came with one key.

The dealer may be licking his lips when he sees me with this problem.
Old 06-03-15, 07:10 PM
SC43052
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest you get another key made as if you lose that one creating another will get very expensive as the car needs to be towed to the dealer and equipment replaced. As long as you have one working key creating another is fairly simple.

When I bought my 2002 it only came with one key. I purchased a blank key on ebay and then found a local locksmith who could cut the key and help me initialize the new key in the car ignition. This initialization will program both the key code and wireless code.

Once you get this second key programmed you can then test it wirelessly and in the door and see if the results are different (test it with the top down so you won't get locked out). If it works both in the door and wirelessly then you can backtrack and have the original key you received with the car reprogrammed to have both codes. If the new key still won't open the door then at least you have a backup key. Then I would use double sticky tape and attach a plastic disk over the key lock to "remind" the car attendant to use the remote.
Old 06-04-15, 07:59 AM
dbryan
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC43052
I suggest you get another key made as if you lose that one creating another will get very expensive as the car needs to be towed to the dealer and equipment replaced. As long as you have one working key creating another is fairly simple.

When I bought my 2002 it only came with one key. I purchased a blank key on ebay and then found a local locksmith who could cut the key and help me initialize the new key in the car ignition. This initialization will program both the key code and wireless code.

Once you get this second key programmed you can then test it wirelessly and in the door and see if the results are different (test it with the top down so you won't get locked out). If it works both in the door and wirelessly then you can backtrack and have the original key you received with the car reprogrammed to have both codes. If the new key still won't open the door then at least you have a backup key. Then I would use double sticky tape and attach a plastic disk over the key lock to "remind" the car attendant to use the remote.
I found this site for keys. It's both key and remote for $99. Would you say it's a good deal?

https://ikeyless.com/vehicles/Lexus/.../2002/1000446/
Old 06-04-15, 09:56 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

dbyan, welcome to CL.

I recently secured a spare key. Here's how I did it:

1. Purchase a Lexus key, cut to your VIN number (or key code) at Fleabay or mazon. Make sure that this key matches the SC430 year you have. I can post the programming steps. It works. The key with the transponder and cut correctly will cost you between $50 to $100.

2. Program per instructions. Lots of threads on programming here.

Save some money and learn something, welcome to CL.
Old 06-04-15, 10:39 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dbryan
Every time someone (valet) puts the key in the door to unlock it, the car completely shuts down
Can you clarify what you mean by "completely shuts down?" Are you saying that the car cranks but won't start? Or are you saying the the entire electrical system does not function?
Old 06-06-15, 06:57 AM
dbryan
Rookie

Well apparently not all keys use the CR2016 battery. I went to relace mine and it was CR1616.