SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

AC Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-15, 04:48 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
Default AC Issue

..ok guys thought I would get some input/thoughts/suggestions on my ac issue.It seems that the compressor has gone out, I haven't been driving it daily,but was noticing that sometime it wasn't cooling as it had been in the past.Took it to my mechanic about a month ago,to check the freon level & it wasn't low. His gauges did show that the low side wasn't sucking properly & he said that the compressor might be going out.Fast forward to today, nothing from the compressor. The car is an 02' with 220k, so I'm not really complaining...lol.....I found a compressor kit that comes with everything I need (discountacparts.com) for $335-$400,depending on which compressor I choose.The evaporator device is located behind the dash,which has to come apart, to remove old one & install the new one ....so this is where I need some input, should I just replace the compressor & hope there is no trash in the system to mess up new compressor OR replace everything as suggested & have piece of mind. I'm planning to check all the fuses & any possible wire connections to the compressor,one day this week,just in case....now I'm open for all thoughts,ideas,suggestions,etc.....I'm going to step out for a couple of hours,but will respond to any questions a little later tonight...... thanks in advance to all help
Old 05-31-15, 06:19 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never even heard of automatically changing the evaporator unless it was leaking. A proper shop will evacuate the system, install the compressor and recharge. I have heard of changing the receiver/dryer and I personally have had that done in the past.
Old 05-31-15, 07:29 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 103 Posts

+1 with rudyH
If the system is holding a charge, you should be OK with just replacing the compressor. Sometimes the desiccant bag breaks open and causes problems but it's pretty easy to check. Might as well have them replace the desiccant bag ( and add compressor oil ) when they replace the compressor.
Old 05-31-15, 09:10 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by rudyH
I've never even heard of automatically changing the evaporator unless it was leaking. A proper shop will evacuate the system, install the compressor and recharge. I have heard of changing the receiver/dryer and I personally have had that done in the past.
...I said the evaporator,but I meant to say the expansion valve,which is located behind the dash also...lol .Either way, you think I should be ok just getting the new compressor & changing out the receiver/dryer ?
Old 06-01-15, 03:47 AM
theazz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just had my compressor and dryer replaced last week on my 03 SC. Yes the labor for the dryer is about the same as the labor for the compressor but everyone I talked to said to be safe that needed to be replaced also. Bought the parts from Amazon a Toyota dealer installed. Total about $900
Theazz
Old 06-01-15, 04:05 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

With the car's age and mileage, I'd replace it. You'll never be tempted to sell the car because the ac went out again. How easy to sell a car with no AC in TX.
Old 06-01-15, 05:35 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...I said the evaporator,but I meant to say the expansion valve,which is located behind the dash also...lol .Either way, you think I should be ok just getting the new compressor & changing out the receiver/dryer ?
Well you never know what you're going to run into but that's all I would change if it were my car.
Old 06-01-15, 01:39 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is your ac button blinking? If so, that means that the sensor connector plug for the compressor is not plugged in.., that's what happened to me when I changed my valve covers thought ac was not working but it was just a plug..
Old 06-01-15, 04:37 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by theazz
Just had my compressor and dryer replaced last week on my 03 SC. Yes the labor for the dryer is about the same as the labor for the compressor but everyone I talked to said to be safe that needed to be replaced also. Bought the parts from Amazon a Toyota dealer installed. Total about $900
Theazz
...so did they change your expansion valve? Thats the one item thats going to be a b*&^%, to get to.I can manage the compressor & dryer, because they are both under the hood.It's just that dang expansion valve thats behind the dash
Old 06-01-15, 04:38 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Is your ac button blinking? If so, that means that the sensor connector plug for the compressor is not plugged in.., that's what happened to me when I changed my valve covers thought ac was not working but it was just a plug..
...no blinking light, just hot air !!!
Old 06-01-15, 06:12 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

If the oil in the lines is clean (of metal filings & pieces), there shouldn't be any junk in the lines to mess up the expansion valve.
Old 06-01-15, 07:38 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

...no blinking light, just hot air !!!
Man that really sucks sorry. I assume you checked simple things like fuses, whether or not the system needs charging etc., and verifying compressor is not spinning
Old 06-01-15, 08:30 PM
theazz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They said the expansion valve was good . But they said the dryer was behind the dash
Old 06-01-15, 10:53 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by theazz
They said the expansion valve was good . But they said the dryer was behind the dash
...no it's under the hood,close to the front of the car
Old 07-16-15, 10:23 PM
dag8882
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...no it's under the hood,close to the front of the car
any update to the situation?
hope it all works out.
good luck,

Quick Reply: AC Issue