SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

tire dilemma suggestions appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-15, 09:27 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I am going to scan my alignment results and post it. I am wondering why I had severe inner wear considering that the before and after settings are not a big change.

Now if I compare the recommended settings to the old and new, it shows little deviation....???

I feel like I am missing something.
Old 05-29-15, 05:57 PM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Everyone,

After much research, I have decided to purchase a set of Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 tires for my new to me 2010 SC. This is a brand new tire released in May of 2015 and it is said to have all of the attributes of the orginal Extreme Contact DWS plus some additional attributes. I will let you know...................

Tom

Originally Posted by mohrd
I will +1 the Conti Extreme Contact DWS. Great all season tire I previously ran on my Jag.
Old 06-01-15, 05:27 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Alignment specs- more lies from bad mechanics?

Originally Posted by NAmVet68
Not all shops (or dealerships) will reset your camber to anything other than factory specs. For some reason, Lexus set the camber from the factory so that it causes excessive tire wear on the inner surfaces.

If you take the car to an independent alignment shop that will use the specs you give them (preferably one that does laser alignment), and tell them to use these camber specs when they do the alignment instead of factory specs and you should be golden. Your tires should wear much more evenly without any negative side effects (other than the steering feeling a bit lighter):

front +0.05 toe and - 0.85 camber.
rear +0.15 toe and -1.25 camber.

BTW ...unless you hit a lot of potholes or bash a curb, you shouldn't really need an alignment that often. You should be able to go for years without one.

Good luck....
I have an unlimited alignment plan for five years at Merchant Tires. That's the only reason I go there. Got my conti pure contact tires installed yesterday and asked 'mechanic' to do alignment based on the specs you provided. He said he could not adjust the camber as much as the specs but he did the best he could. I didn't really fully understand what he was saying so I will post the alignment report tomorrow so everyone can chime in!

Also, in regard to the tire wear issue on the inside, I read on the daizen website that the solution is changing the control arm bushings. Another place I read the solution is to get w camber kit. But on this thread the solution appears to be correct alignment specs?

So is the solution to the excessive tire wear correct alignment specs, control arm bushings, or a camber kit?

Can someone please help me understand??
Old 06-01-15, 06:22 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
I have an unlimited alignment plan for five years at Merchant Tires. That's the only reason I go there. Got my conti pure contact tires installed yesterday and asked 'mechanic' to do alignment based on the specs you provided. He said he could not adjust the camber as much as the specs but he did the best he could. I didn't really fully understand what he was saying so I will post the alignment report tomorrow so everyone can chime in!

Also, in regard to the tire wear issue on the inside, I read on the daizen website that the solution is changing the control arm bushings. Another place I read the solution is to get w camber kit. But on this thread the solution appears to be correct alignment specs?

So is the solution to the excessive tire wear correct alignment specs, control arm bushings, or a camber kit?

Can someone please help me understand??
All I can say is when I had my first set of Conti DWS tires put on in 2010 The camber was way off. This from the Lexus dealership. This was a CPO car and I only got 18K on the brand new tires because of excessive wear on the inside of the rear tires. I had all the camber taken out that was physically possible. The tech said that it was at the limit and it was the best he could do. I said OK we will see what happens. I got 45K out of those tires and they were worn perfectly. I put the Pure Contact on this time a little over a year ago and had the alignment checked but not changed. I have about 13K on the Pure Contact Contis and they are worn perfectly so far. I think if you come close to what NAmvet and I have as settings you will be OK.

Good luck, this can be corrected without adding kits or control arm bushings.
Old 06-01-15, 07:15 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iolmaster
All I can say is when I had my first set of Conti DWS tires put on in 2010 The camber was way off. This from the Lexus dealership. This was a CPO car and I only got 18K on the brand new tires because of excessive wear on the inside of the rear tires. I had all the camber taken out that was physically possible. The tech said that it was at the limit and it was the best he could do. I said OK we will see what happens. I got 45K out of those tires and they were worn perfectly. I put the Pure Contact on this time a little over a year ago and had the alignment checked but not changed. I have about 13K on the Pure Contact Contis and they are worn perfectly so far. I think if you come close to what NAmvet and I have as settings you will be OK.

Thanks for the response. I feel a lot better about my new tires now
Old 06-01-15, 09:55 AM
mandyfig

Still on the fence on what the GOOD setting is. I hear that negative camber must be taken out. The readings below is what the other members are recommending however it shows high negative cambers, should they be close to ZERO?

Left front Camber -0.9
Right front Camber -0.2
Caster Left 8.6 Right 9.1
Toe Left 0.09 Right 0.09

Rear Camber Left -1.7
Rear Right -1.4
Toe Left 0.09
Right 0.09

Am I bonkers on interpretation?
Old 06-01-15, 09:57 AM
mandyfig

Less Camber means more negative results right?
Old 06-01-15, 10:29 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

mandy
its very hard to get shops to change setting because of insurance. if they change setting other then stock they will be lie-ble that why they don't want to change it. if you change the setting to more straight up it works but it effect steering. we are watching these setting.

Last edited by bacardi11; 06-01-15 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-01-15, 10:36 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Seems like making the adjustment to the REAR TOE is the most important since OE specs cause excessive tire wear to the inside of tires in the rear... No?
Old 06-01-15, 10:59 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lex
I use Fig;s rear toe adjusters.
Old 06-01-15, 11:30 AM
mandyfig

I will ask them to change it to my settings towards the end of the 6 months warranty that I have on alignments.
Old 06-01-15, 01:00 PM
fj40ih8mud
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that the rear camber is the issue. I had them move it to the inside of the spec. -.7 adjustment.

I do agree with the rear toe in adjuster upgrade. I have Battle Version -- really well made.
Old 06-01-15, 01:38 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Less Camber means more negative results right?
No, less camber means positive results. Meaning, you get less wear on the inside of the tire. That is a positive result. I guess that was your question.
Old 06-01-15, 01:43 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Seems like making the adjustment to the REAR TOE is the most important since OE specs cause excessive tire wear to the inside of tires in the rear... No?
No, toe will not normally make the tire wear on the inside. It causes a scuffing pattern which can be on the inside or outside depending on whether it is neg or pos and whether you have a front wheel drive or rear wheel drive. What is being described here is normally associated with camber. You need to check the rear thrust angle also. This can cause problems. Mine was way off when I got it from Lexus (CPO)
Old 06-01-15, 03:46 PM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Iolmaster,

Dio you like the Conti Pure Contact or the Conti DWS better and why?

Thanks,

Tom
Originally Posted by iolmaster

Quick Reply: tire dilemma suggestions appreciated