SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Vaistech SL3U Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-15, 06:57 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Vaistech SL3U Question

So I noticed something recently and have a specific question for owners using the SL3U. I noticed that when I switch into AUX mode I hear a background "squeal," especially at high volumes. It does not matter if I am using my phone or iPod or any even no device at all. I have heard other people call it the "alternator whine." It increases and decreases depending on rpms. I'm just wondering if it's my unit or if anyone experiences this same issue. I called VaisTech and they explained that I shouldn't be experiencing this... and are asking me to send it in to them. But if it is actually a common problem, I don't want to disassemble everything. Please let me know... as I said I hear this "whine" at high volumes only... as if it's in the background. I'm pretty good with wiring so I don't believe I've made any mistakes. If anyone things it's possibly a grounding problem, which I doubt, I can reground. Thanks in advance for any opinions and recommendations.
Old 05-19-15, 07:38 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Do you think a power line filter (capacitor) would help?
Old 05-19-15, 08:10 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Well I want to see if anyone else has this problem before I start troubleshooting. Want to see if it's just my unit or it's an inherent flaw in all of them.
Old 05-19-15, 08:12 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Got it! I wish i had more information for you!
Old 05-19-15, 08:16 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
So I noticed something recently and have a specific question for owners using the SL3U. I noticed that when I switch into AUX mode I hear a background "squeal," especially at high volumes. It does not matter if I am using my phone or iPod or any even no device at all. I have heard other people call it the "alternator whine." It increases and decreases depending on rpms. I'm just wondering if it's my unit or if anyone experiences this same issue. I called VaisTech and they explained that I shouldn't be experiencing this... and are asking me to send it in to them. But if it is actually a common problem, I don't want to disassemble everything. Please let me know... as I said I hear this "whine" at high volumes only... as if it's in the background. I'm pretty good with wiring so I don't believe I've made any mistakes. If anyone things it's possibly a grounding problem, which I doubt, I can reground. Thanks in advance for any opinions and recommendations.
In the old days this used to be caused sometimes by a poor ground. Maybe something got knocked loose? As bgw said a power line filter might help. There's also a chance I guess that the alternator ground could be weak but I would have thought it might manifest itself in other ways first. Even rerouting the wires behind the head unit may help. if the wires are tightly bundled, try separating them temporarily and see if that helps.
Old 05-19-15, 11:28 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

....I'm not using a SL3U, but i would agree with rudyH. In the automotive audio world, most engine "whining" noise is caused by a bad ground.Check your connections for a loose wire & if you're using one area for multiple grounds,this could be the culprit also. Another thing that was shared with me some years ago,is to run all your power wires on one side of the car & the grounds on the opposite.This supposedly keeps the currency of the power wires from bleeding into the grounds,especially with high wattage stereo systems. Knock on wood....I haven't had any of those issues in a very long time
Old 05-20-15, 06:42 AM
editordz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I have had two different VAIS units in my SC and LS for a total of six years, and never had that problem. Like others have suggested, I'd check the ground to rule out a bad installation, and then send it back if it doesn't completely clear it up.
Old 05-20-15, 05:44 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an SL3U in my 08 SC430 and had one in my wife's SC430. Did not have any whine or other unusual noises.

Send it back and let them check it out. At the same time confirm grounds are intact. ground loops are notorious to cause whining.

You may also want to get your alternator output checked a bad diode will also cause AC ripple that can find its way to audio devices.
Old 07-21-17, 08:25 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Guess I should update. I found out it was actaully the hard drive on the connected iPod that was causing the whine. Ended up having to replace the hard drive as it failed and fixed my problem. Also, I stumbled upon this as an alternative and it would be worth the try as our SC430's have the 7+5 connection but also it seems very much like the GROM Audio unit I just purchased. If anyone is looking for an intergrated unit for Aux, Bluetooth, and Handsfree; this could make for a good option for around $50. Also, if it's not included, Be sure if you order the unit to tell them the following (2002-2009 has the 7+5 connector), (2010 might have the 6+6- not 100% sure). Depending if your specific car has 7+5 or 6+6, you might need a Y connector. My GROM included it, but not sure if this one does.
Amazon Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/APPS2Car-Harness-Adapter-Navigation-Y-TYT02/dp/B015IWAFTU/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1500693808&sr=8-12&keywords=toyota+7%2B5+Y+adapter https://www.amazon.com/APPS2Car-Harness-Adapter-Navigation-Y-TYT02/dp/B015IWAFTU/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1500693808&sr=8-12&keywords=toyota+7%2B5+Y+adapter
https://www.amazon.com/APPS2Car-Harness-Adapter-Changer-Navigation/dp/B0179D7SIW/ref=sr_1_12?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1500694253&sr=1-12&keywords=toyota+6%2B6+Y+adapter https://www.amazon.com/APPS2Car-Harness-Adapter-Changer-Navigation/dp/B0179D7SIW/ref=sr_1_12?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1500694253&sr=1-12&keywords=toyota+6%2B6+Y+adapter

Last edited by ShawnOk; 07-21-17 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-10-19, 04:11 PM
Chazza
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi ShawnOk,
Hope all goes well with your SC430. I have a question about your installation of the SL3U and bluetooth receiver. Did you hide the SL3U unit below the radio behind the ashtray unit? What about the MBT-RX BT receiver. Where did you locate that? Just considering whether to take on this job myself or leave it to an expert. I have a 207 SC430.

Cheers,
Chazza