SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Need Speaker Mod Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-15, 05:53 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Speaker Mod Help

I am replacing the subwoofers in the front doors and ready have the replacement speakers. 

I read a post where you are supposed to unsolder the wire clip on the old SC430 speakers and resolver the plastic wire clip to the new speakers so you can plug the new subs into the harness in the door. Well stupid me I threw away my old speakers along with the wire plastic male plug. Do i have to order this wire/male plug in order to solder it to the new speakers or are there speaker wires that I can tap into.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Here is the quick link or PDF that speaks about unsoldering the wire harness on the old SCspeakers and attaching it to the new speakers. It is very brief and in pictures and makes clear my muddled explanation

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...eplacement.pdf
Old 05-19-15, 05:57 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Not necessarily. You can cut the car's wire harness off which will give you a +/red and a -/black set of wires. Most speakers will have some type of quick connect for the wires on the back, either push in style, clip and release type, or wire passthrough and twist to tighten type. You can either directly connect the car wire to your speakers or you can extend them and add any type of male to female connection you'd like to both ends to give you plug and play compatible (for future disassembly, just in case). I highly recommend some type of gold plated connectors. They are the best for conduction.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-19-15 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-19-15, 06:13 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by SrWilliams
I am replacing the subwoofers in the front doors and ready have the replacement speakers. 

I read a post where you are supposed to unsolder the wire clip on the old SC430 speakers and resolver the plastic wire clip to the new speakers so you can plug the new subs into the harness in the door. Well stupid me I threw away my old speakers along with the wire plastic male plug. Do i have to order this wire/male plug in order to solder it to the new speakers or are there speaker wires that I can tap into.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Here is the quick link or PDF that speaks about unsoldering the wire harness on the old SCspeakers and attaching it to the new speakers. It is very brief and in pictures and makes clear my muddled explanation

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...eplacement.pdf
Just curious, are you only replacing the 6x9 woofers in the door? Or a complete replacement of all speakers and ML amplifier?
If not, did you find replacement 8ohm speakers?
Also, did you consider refoaming the speakers or were they just shot?
I ended up replacing almost all of the speakers with used OEM that I found on eBay. I did use an aftermarket subwoofer, found behind the back seat, and centered. It is the correct 16ohm speaker and works very well.

As for the connector, you may be able find a new one at the dealer. I have a really good parts guy at my local Lexus dealership and he has located hard to find small parts several times.

Last edited by Bgw70; 05-19-15 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-19-15, 07:04 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Not necessarily. You can cut the car's wire harness off which will give you a +/red and a -/black set of wires. Most speakers will have some type of quick connect for the wires on the back, either push in style, clip and release type, or wire passthrough and twist to tighten type. You can either directly connect the car wire to your speakers or you can extend them and add any type of male to female connection you'd like to both ends to give you plug and play compatible (for future disassembly, just in case). I highly recommend some type of gold plated connectors. They are the best for conduction.
Shawn:

I figured as much. But just so I do not cut the wrong thing, is there a picture of the wiring harness that shows the two wires. Or is it the wires that go into the female socket that is found in the speaker older or frame. I hope I am making sense as I really d o not want to cu the wrong wires.

By the way before posting this thread I read your previous thread on your speaker replacement. You did a real good job, and even with your write up.

BGW70:

I only am replacing the subs in the door and I found some 8 ohm speakers to use

Last edited by SrWilliams; 05-19-15 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-19-15, 07:34 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by SrWilliams
Shawn:

I figured as much. But just so I do not cut the wrong thing, is there a picture of the wiring harness that shows the two wires. Or is it the wires that go into the female socket that is found in the speaker older or frame. I hope I am making sense as I really d o not want to cu the wrong wires.

By the way before posting this thread I read your previous thread on your speaker replacement. You did a real good job, and even with your write up.

BGW70:

I only am replacing the subs in the door and I found some 8 ohm speakers to use
Yup, you got it. Just cut right above the female clip. This will leave you with a black and red wire. Then you can either add wire to extend the distance to give you more room to work or just connect right to the speaker terminals. Your choice. I would suggest adding the extra wire. You can never go wrong in giving yourself a little more wire to work with.
Old 05-19-15, 08:00 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Yup, you got it. Just cut right above the female clip. This will leave you with a black and red wire. Then you can either add wire to extend the distance to give you more room to work or just connect right to the speaker terminals. Your choice. I would suggest adding the extra wire. You can never go wrong in giving yourself a little more wire to work with.
Thanks Shawn, I am on it. You gave me everything I need