Please help me with NAVIKS install

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-15, 07:30 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Please help me with NAVIKS install

Hi All;

I tried to install NAVIKS today but failed. PLEASE help if possible, and once I figure it out I will write a nice DIY for everyone else.

For starters, here is the 18 pin connector behind the navigation unit:

Number 18 is supposed to be the power supply, 17 is a ground, and 14 is power for the back up camera. Here are the instructions, and I hope I am interpreting correctly:

I wired power to 18, which is grey, and NAVIKS lit up! I used the 14, yellow and red, for the back up camera as suggested in the instructions. I make a ground connection with the chassis. Here is the mess:

Here is my problem:

THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY TO POWER THE CAMERA VIA PIN 14, BUT THE CAMERA I PURCHASED ALREADY HAS A WIRE FOR POWER (AND GROUND), ACCORDING TO THE INSTRUCTIONS I CONNECT POWER FOR FOR THE CAMERA WITH THE BLUE WIRE TO PIN 14. BUT THE CAMERA ALSO HAS A POWER SOURCE, DO i CONNECT BOTH?

Here are the connections I am referring to:

The yellow goes from the camera into VID 2 into NAVIKS. The red powers the camera, but there is also the blue wire which powers the camera. Which is correct? Do I use the power source for the camera for NAVIKS with the blue wire, and leave the power source from the camera unplugged? OR Vica Versa?

Here is another pic,

You can see the infamous blue wire. The NAVIKS is clearly powered up, since the light is on, but it is not recognizing the camera. My Navigation is completely BLACK?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also, what is the "toggle" switch, and what is the switch for RGB?

I feel I am close, but I need everyones help! Please let me know? I hope I explained the problem clearly: there is a power source for the camera connected to the NAVIKS and a power sources connected to the camera itself? Which should I use? Why I am I getting a blank screen?

THANKS!
Old 05-17-15, 08:31 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I followed the directions exactly as instructed by NavIKS and it was pretty right on. As for the camera power and camera ground. I connected right to the DVD harness and used the same wires that they instructed you to "piggy back" off. Additionally, they only time the camera will switch on is when you kick into "Reverse," therefore Video 2 will then activate. Additionally, you can call OneWayAuto at (718) 797-9411. They manufacture the NavIKS and are a great help. Keep us posted.

Without power to the camera, the picture will be black. When you flip the toggle switch, Video 1 will activate. Can you provide more photos of the camera connections. I feel that's where you're making a mistake. I would connected the ground of the camera and the NAVIKS to pin 17 GND1. Then the power of the camera and Blue NavIKS to pin 14 RED/YEL. NavIKS power is connected only to the pin 18 Grey.

PS. also check your connections. Those T-taps are notorious for not making solid contact.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-17-15 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-17-15, 09:00 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks buddy, I see what you mean my mistake is probably with my camera connections. I will use the ground from pin 17 as you suggested for the camera. That's got to be why my screen is black. Nothing is being sent from Vid 2.

But my original question was with the camera power. There is a red wire, as seen in my pic, coming from the camera for a power source. Since the blue wire is supposed to power the camera from the Naviks, do I leave red from the camera unconnected??
Old 05-17-15, 09:03 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

And why is my nav totally black all the time now :-((
Old 05-18-15, 04:51 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

I emailed the seller and they responded as follows:

"Please connect the power for the camera and the naviks blue wire to pin 14 on the factory plug its the yellow wire with red stripe."

My interpretation is that they are saying to connect BOTH the power wire from the camera (red) and the camera power wire for the Naviks (blue) to the same pin 14. Would you all agree?
Old 05-18-15, 05:30 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Yes, I would agree and then it should only operate when you are in reverse. It would be nice to be able to turn it on when ever you want...
Old 05-18-15, 05:57 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the reply. I will give it a shot today. I happen to have a second camera which I plan to connect full time to PIN 18 so I can have the little cam full time and factory nav as back up. Will be sure to post pics with a comprehensive DIY upon completion!!
Old 05-18-15, 01:07 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shawn is correct (I have the same setup & the directions were spot on).

You also asked about the RGB switch (RGBS vs RGSB). Leave it on the RGBS (sync last).

I also left the little toggle switch off so video 2 is always active (the backup camera). If you're doing a 2nd camera to be on full-time are you looking to connect it to the Naviks Video 1 connector? If so, you'll need to run that one into the cabin to show your full-time camera and flick the toggle to show the backup camera.
Old 05-18-15, 01:36 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I might have missed something but why have two rear cameras? That blue wire is the naviks trigger. When it receives power it overrides any video and displays vid2. That is why they recommend connecting the blue to red/yellow in pin 14 as well as the red from your cameras etc. That pin 14 is powered when you switch into reverse then the naviks displays video 2. All other times either OEM nav passthru is displayed until you flip the toggle switch, then video 1 is shown. Hope this makes sense. Basically you should connect blue wire to pin 14 and the power wire for the camera or sensor to it also. Anything that you want to receive constant power, connect to the grey wire including the naviks full time power (black with silver). Let me know if you have other questions.
Old 05-06-18, 05:37 PM
ohRiley
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default naviks install nightmare

Based on the posts on this forum, I thought I would try installing a naviks back up camera on my 2006 430SC. Ordered the Vox camera with license plate mount and got that on with no problem. Removed the liner and accessed the navigation box. Attempted to follow the directions that Naviks sent, but first attempt resulted in a back up camera image in reverse, but no navigation screen (black). My attempts to trouble shoot have now left me with no image in navigation or in reverse, and a severed wire on my reverse line (pin 14). I am disappointed in myself and in the process. I wish Navik's instructions had provided as much detail on the navigation install as it did on the interior liner removal. Needless to say I did not have the skill set to make it work. I will probably call Naviks tomorrow and see if they can assist, as I had already asked them for a referral to a Northern California shop for install and they couldn't recommend any. (The shop that was recommended by Lexus was not familiar with Naviks). Is there anyone in the Nor Cal Bay Area that has successfully install Naviks and would like to help me figure this out? I want to get my car back in order!
Old 05-06-18, 05:46 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

....hopefully someone will chime in & help you with this issue........that is a great pic of a gorgeous car !!!
The following users liked this post:
ohRiley (05-06-18)
Old 05-06-18, 10:56 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

It's quite simple and straight forward, basically how I did mine:
1. Remove the trunk dressing.
2. Install the back up camera to the license plate. Feed the power wires and camera video wire thru hole in the back pane to the trunk area. You don't have to drill the hole, there is one on the right side.
3. Run a wire from the back up light (remove the light bulb and insert wire to socket then replace the light bulb) to the camera positive, the camera negative wire to the chassis (ground). Also use this wire connect to trigger wire (blue wire) on the Naviks. (note: I didn't use pin 14. I used back-up light bulb instead, simpler and easier).
4. Unplug the 10 pin connector from the back of the NAV and plug in the Naviks connector to the NAV, then plug the NAV connector to the other connector of the Naviks.
5. Power the Naviks by spice to pin 18 (gray wire) of the DVD connector. Note: Do not use power source from the fuse box, it's constant on, will drain your battery.
Test the camera in reverse.
7. Dress wires, double-sided tape the Naviks to the floor (not on top of the NAV, you won't be able to install the trunk dressing.)
8. Install the trunk dressing.

Related links:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...s-install.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ictures-2.html (read post #27, there is PDF files with pics)

Last edited by GmanSC; 05-06-18 at 11:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wendyo (02-01-22)
Old 05-08-18, 01:20 AM
ohRiley
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GmanSC
It's quite simple and straight forward, basically how I did mine:
1. Remove the trunk dressing.
2. Install the back up camera to the license plate. Feed the power wires and camera video wire thru hole in the back pane to the trunk area. You don't have to drill the hole, there is one on the right side.
3. Run a wire from the back up light (remove the light bulb and insert wire to socket then replace the light bulb) to the camera positive, the camera negative wire to the chassis (ground). Also use this wire connect to trigger wire (blue wire) on the Naviks. (note: I didn't use pin 14. I used back-up light bulb instead, simpler and easier).
4. Unplug the 10 pin connector from the back of the NAV and plug in the Naviks connector to the NAV, then plug the NAV connector to the other connector of the Naviks.
5. Power the Naviks by spice to pin 18 (gray wire) of the DVD connector. Note: Do not use power source from the fuse box, it's constant on, will drain your battery.
Test the camera in reverse.
7. Dress wires, double-sided tape the Naviks to the floor (not on top of the NAV, you won't be able to install the trunk dressing.)
8. Install the trunk dressing.

Related links:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...s-install.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ictures-2.html (read post #27, there is PDF files with pics)
I looked at your install instructions (download) but I didn't see anything about running wires to the light socket. Did I miss something?
Old 05-08-18, 03:06 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by ohRiley
I looked at your install instructions (download) but I didn't see anything about running wires to the light socket. Did I miss something?
yes you missed step 3 where he said he used the light socket instead of pin14.

i used the same source but connected the trigger power source in the fuse/junction box in the trunk.

Red wire goes to camera trigger on voltage...or said another way. It is the 12v from the backup lights and this wire is connected to the camera. In your case, you may need this power to go to the blue wire on your NAVIKS

Last edited by Bgw70; 05-08-18 at 03:16 AM.
Old 05-08-18, 08:02 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

I used backup light socket for the trigger (blue wire) and for camera power, but used pin 18 of the connector for the Naviks. I probably missed it, but I could not find any switched 12V in the fuse box, all are constant. Just double check, you do not want to power the Naviks with constant 12V, it could drain your battery. For getting power from the connector, I found it's easier if you just strip you wire, and insert it straight to the connector socket. since it's very difficult to splice to the connector wire due to tight place.

Last edited by GmanSC; 05-08-18 at 08:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Please help me with NAVIKS install