SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New Head Unit 03 SC 430

Old 05-10-15, 05:32 AM
theazz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Head Unit 03 SC 430

I installed a pioneer AVH -X5700 BHS unit with the beatsonic.
But as soon as I turn the car on the rear radio antenna goes up without the radio being on.
Before I take the unit out and check the wiring did anyone else have this issue.
Also some conclusions about this unit. It does sound better but when the top is down you can't see the screen at all. Set up directions from pioneer are the worse I've ever seen. You have to go through multiple steps just to do a function. I have the HD radio which really enhances the sound.
I need to play with it more but either I'm getting old or the radio has wayyyyy to many functions.
Old 05-10-15, 06:31 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the baby brother to your unit in my '02 (AVH-X3700BHS) and the antenna only goes down when I completely turn the unit off or switch off the ignition. I used the Beatsonic as well.
Old 05-10-15, 07:13 AM
theazz
Driver

If you use the remote to turn the unit off does the antenna go down?
Old 05-10-15, 07:57 AM
Taysdad
Pit Crew

If you are using an external (iPod) input or a CD, does the antenna stay up?
Old 05-10-15, 08:56 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Mine stays up if the unit is powered up. The only way to make the antenna go down is to turn the unit completely off. If you are using any inputs at all the antenna goes up.
Old 05-10-15, 09:48 AM
theazz
Driver

I must have something connected wrong, when I turn unit off the antenna says up with nothing else connected to the radio. Do you find the controls cumbersome ?
Old 05-10-15, 11:49 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

When you installed the head, (I am am going off memory here) there was a blue wire. That wire was called Remote or something like that. That wire should have been connected to the Beatsonic Antenna control wire (I also connected my parking brake eliminator positive to that as well). This allows the antenna to go down when the unit powers off. If the Beatsonic Antenna control wire was connected to the Accy positive, then the antenna will go up anytime the ignition is turned on.

I actually don't mind the controls too much. I had an older Pioneer head unit in my SC400, so this one was a step up for me. I think it's less cumbersome than the older one.

Originally Posted by theazz
I must have something connected wrong, when I turn unit off the antenna says up with nothing else connected to the radio. Do you find the controls cumbersome ?
Old 05-10-15, 03:02 PM
theazz
Driver

Thanks Its driving me crazy so I'll pull out the radio and check tomorrow.
Old 05-11-15, 06:05 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Thanks Its driving me crazy so I'll pull out the radio and check tomorrow.
I purchased the same head unit and beat sonic. The install will happen in the next week or two. any tips or pics would certainly be appreciated.

What location in the car did you install the beatsonic?

I have the head unit, beatsonic and xm module.
Old 05-11-15, 06:28 AM
FrictionSc
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I need a beatsonic for my 2003 sc430. can someone tell me witch one I need and where to buy? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-15, 07:26 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by FrictionSc
I need a beatsonic for my 2003 sc430. can someone tell me witch one I need and where to buy? Thanks in advance.
MVA-12L, the best price I found is on carid.com
They are a CL sponsor.
I also received a 10% military discount, if you served. To receive it, you must call.
Old 05-11-15, 01:52 PM
theazz
Driver

I talked to pioneer today about my antenna being up when I have the radio off. They told me because my unit has Bluetooth that new regulations say when you turn your radio off it can still accept Bluetooth so technically it is not off totally. Therefore the "blue/white wire from the radio that goes to the power antenna relay (through beatsonic) is always on.
Has anyone installed a 5700 with this issue.
So if I go through a carwash and the car is on, the antenna will be up even though I have the off button pushed.
I guess I could always install my own on/off switch or simply install a stubby antenna.
Any thoughts.
theazz
Old 05-11-15, 02:11 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Must be something unique to the 5700, or else they just changed it. I bought my 3700 and installed it just last month.

I talked to pioneer today about my antenna being up when I have the radio off. They told me because my unit has Bluetooth that new regulations say when you turn your radio off it can still accept Bluetooth so technically it is not off totally. Therefore the "blue/white wire from the radio that goes to the power antenna relay (through beatsonic) is always on.
Has anyone installed a 5700 with this issue.
So if I go through a carwash and the car is on, the antenna will be up even though I have the off button pushed.
I guess I could always install my own on/off switch or simply install a stubby antenna.
Any thoughts.
theazz
Old 05-11-15, 02:46 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

If push comes to shove, you can always add a manual switch to raise and lower it. I know, that is a little clunky but it beats losing your antenna in a car wash.
Old 05-11-15, 02:55 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

This is true. Lost one on my SC400 once in a car wash. I still have nightmares..... lol

Originally Posted by Harold57
If push comes to shove, you can always add a manual switch to raise and lower it. I know, that is a little clunky but it beats losing your antenna in a car wash.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Head Unit 03 SC 430