SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Anyone have a windshield replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-15, 07:37 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Folks, are we sure about the water-repellent (titanium-dioxide coating) on our windshields?? Not even a brand new LS460 comes with 'water repellent' windshield glass. The front driver and passenger windows definitely have the titanium-dioxide coating, and this is listed as a safety feature in the Lexus promotional materials for the SC430, and just about every other model over the past several years. But the windshield is never, ever mentioned (at least, I haven't seen mention of the windshield). Does anyone have definitive information to the contrary?? I think the problem is the thin titanium-dioxide coating just can't hold up against the air-blasted tiny debris that a car windshield experiences over its lifetime. Pilkington glass developed the coating and they caution against using harsh abrasives.

Last edited by kjcole; 05-15-15 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-14-15, 09:36 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by kjcole
Folks, are we sure about the water-repellent (titanium-oxide coating) on our windshields?? Not even a brand new LS460 comes with 'water repellent' windshield glass. The front driver and passenger windows definitely have the titanium-oxide coating, and this is listed as a safety feature in the Lexus promotional materials for the SC430, and just about every other model over the past several years. But the windshield is never, ever mentioned (at least, I haven't seen mention of the windshield). Does anyone have definitive information to the contrary?? I think the problem is the thin titanium-oxide coating just can't hold up against the air-blasted tiny debris that a car windshield experiences over its lifetime. Pilkington glass developed the coating and they caution against using harsh abrasives.
You may be right. I just assumed that since the side windows are treated the windshield was also. That would certainly explain why I was never impressed with the sheeting effect of the OEM windshield. I have stated that in a number of my posts and it may be that I couldn't see a difference since it wasn't there. I, also, have been satisfied with my PGW glass. I hope someone has a definitive answer.
Old 05-14-15, 06:30 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kjcole
Folks, are we sure about the water-repellent (titanium-oxide coating) on our windshields?? Not even a brand new LS460 comes with 'water repellent' windshield glass. The front driver and passenger windows definitely have the titanium-oxide coating, and this is listed as a safety feature in the Lexus promotional materials for the SC430, and just about every other model over the past several years. But the windshield is never, ever mentioned (at least, I haven't seen mention of the windshield). Does anyone have definitive information to the contrary?? I think the problem is the thin titanium-oxide coating just can't hold up against the air-blasted tiny debris that a car windshield experiences over its lifetime. Pilkington glass developed the coating and they caution against using harsh abrasives.
I don't know about my SC but my 2010 HS has this.
Old 05-14-15, 07:00 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My LS460 had rain repelling glass only on the front driver and passenger windows. Thos windows were also noise damping.

I could see the water shed differently on the front vs rear side windows when I washed the car and hosed off the windows.

The windshield did not shed water as if it had anything special applied.

Neither my 2007 or 2008 SC430s windshields had any special water shedding capabilities.
Old 06-26-15, 08:44 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Am getting my windshield replaced this weekend, do we have rain sensing option?
Old 06-26-15, 08:46 AM
mandyfig

Got my answer, 02 to 05 do not have rain sensing. 06 and up did.
Old 06-26-15, 03:40 PM
NovaRnder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I was wondering what happened to that sensing.... got 2007 and back in 2012 had to replace the winshield and dealership asking for $600 but since we knew a person working in the parts dept. she told us don't buy OEM and just buy the aftermarket ones for $250 and the glass company will even install it at the dealership which we chose to. Now I know what happened to that rain sensing...
Old 06-26-15, 05:55 PM
iolmaster
Racer

I am not sure what you mean by "rain sensing". We established that the windshields in our cars do not have the rain repellant feature the side windows do. I don't think our windshields have any feature that regular glass doesn't have.
Old 06-26-15, 07:43 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I have an 06 and don't know about a rain sensor, other than the glass gets wet.

My Volvo has a rain sensor and one of the "intermittent wiper settings" is based on the amount of raindrops on the windshield. Useful feature for those times that it sort of rains, then sort of lets up. The wiper intermittent speed adjusts accordingly.
Old 06-29-15, 05:22 AM
mandyfig

2002 to 2005 do not have the rain sensing capability. It started on the 2006. Got my windshield done yesterday. PPG (now PGW) glass, OEM replacement.

Now I know how the windshield is replaced. There are key techniques to get the LH-RH outside pillar trims out. As usual clips will be broken and if your installer has them, it is a breeze. The key was a bolt that held the outer pillar trim and 5 clips. Then you have to remove the rivets on the trim that engages the clips. Of course you have to rivet the clips back on.

Other than that the windshield just lays on to of the seal bead and in 30 minutes, it is in place.

The best thing...I paid $200 for it!
Old 06-29-15, 05:29 AM
mandyfig

Pics of the old glass out:

Last edited by mandyfig; 06-29-15 at 05:44 AM.
Old 06-29-15, 06:19 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

2002 to 2005 do not have the rain sensing capability. It started on the 2006.
What do you mean by rain sensing capability?
Old 06-29-15, 06:32 AM
mandyfig

You have an auto mode where if it rains, automatically either do an intermittent wipe or a full blown one. Very cool. It will have a barrage of sensors located near the top center of the windshield. My RX and IS have them. The SC does not have it, mine's an 04.
Old 06-29-15, 08:41 AM
iolmaster
Racer

You have an auto mode where if it rains, automatically either do an intermittent wipe or a full blown one. Very cool. It will have a barrage of sensors located near the top center of the windshield. My RX and IS have them. The SC does not have it, mine's an 04.
I have an 06 and I have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 06-29-15, 09:46 AM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My '08 SC does not have that feature. My '08 LS does.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a windshield replaced?