SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What Stereo Head Unit to Choose?

Old 05-01-15, 04:33 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 852 Likes on 685 Posts
Default What Stereo Head Unit to Choose?

Hey everyone, I have now purchased the beat sonic and a backup camera but still need to purchase the head unit. I decided I do not need GPS because I already replaced the Stock Gen2/3 with a Gen4 and updated map DVD and I also use Waze on my phone, so a third GPS is pointless.

I would like a good double-din unit that does almost everything else...I am looking at this pioneer,

Amazon.com : Pioneer AVHX5700BHS Double-DIN DVD Receiver with 7-Inch Motorized Display, Bluetooth, Siri Eyes Free, SiriusXM-Ready, HD Radio, Android Music Support, Pandora, and Dual Camera Inputs : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Pioneer AVHX5700BHS Double-DIN DVD Receiver with 7-Inch Motorized Display, Bluetooth, Siri Eyes Free, SiriusXM-Ready, HD Radio, Android Music Support, Pandora, and Dual Camera Inputs : Car Electronics

Do I need a wi-if head unit? I am not sure what this technology does for me and pioneer may not sell one.

Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated along with the why I should have a capability.
Old 05-01-15, 05:35 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're an iphone person.....

http://www.macworld.com/article/2843...c-8000nex.html

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/carplay-ilx-007
Old 05-01-15, 05:49 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the little brother to the one you listed (3700) and so far I have been pleased. The Bluetooth has been improved over the older units and so far mine has performed flawlessly. The Sirius XM module is quite small and easy to stash in what little space there is left over in the center console around the shifter. I think the 5700 would be a great choice.
Old 05-01-15, 09:24 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I was looking at the 8000 unit but it has GPS which increases the price. I really like Alpine and I am trying to compare it to the pioneer unit I listed. The pioneer is about half the cost.
Both brands appear to support both apple and android.
Old 05-01-15, 09:26 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Helogadget
I installed the little brother to the one you listed (3700) and so far I have been pleased. The Bluetooth has been improved over the older units and so far mine has performed flawlessly. The Sirius XM module is quite small and easy to stash in what little space there is left over in the center console around the shifter. I think the 5700 would be a great choice.
I am really leaning towards the 5700, are there any features you wish the unit had or does it do everything you want?
Old 05-01-15, 09:36 AM
dapimpee
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you like Pioneer, look for the Premier series, they are top of the lines of Pioneer.
Old 05-01-15, 09:40 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I am really leaning towards the 5700, are there any features you wish the unit had or does it do everything you want?
I am loving mine. I mainly listen to SiriusXM or Pandora which the head unit handles flawlessly. The Bluetooth phone seems to work well too (although I have never tried it with the top down, I suppose probably not so well in that case). The screen seems to be easily readable even with the top down on sunny days. The SIri Eyes Free seems to work as advertised when connected to my iPhone. There is also an App mode, and when connected to your phone, you can even bring a moving map up on the screen if you wanted to use it for navigation.

The only down side I have found is just that it is a resistive touch screen as opposed to a glass capacitive type screen like an iPhone and it's not quite as sensitive, but to get that type of screen the price goes way way up.

I didn't use the backup camera option, since my next project will be the Nav Tool to put the backup camera on the nav screen.

The only difference I see in the 3700 and the 5700 is that you will have a bigger screen. Part of me wishes I had spent the extra and gotten the bigger one, but this one works fine for me.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-01-15, 09:46 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Oh, and one more thing. Be sure you get the little gadget that allows you to bypass the parking brake. It's a bit of a pain using some of the Bluetooth things without it.
Old 05-01-15, 09:52 AM
mohrd
Driver

Originally Posted by Helogadget
Oh, and one more thing. Be sure you get the little gadget that allows you to bypass the parking brake. It's a bit of a pain using some of the Bluetooth things without it.
+1 on that. For $15 the bypass is great to have and easier to wire than the actual parking brake lead that will come with your head unit. Makes the Bluetooth features easier. Just don't break the law watching DVDs while in motion.
Old 05-01-15, 10:32 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I saw that bypass cable for $15 and was wondering how hard it would be to make one. It should on be either 12v or ground.
Old 05-01-15, 12:18 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I saw that bypass cable for $15 and was wondering how hard it would be to make one. It should on be either 12v or ground.
Just bear in mind that it's more than just switching to ground. The stereo manufacturers have gotten wise to our ways and the heads now are becoming harder and harder to "trick" into thinking the parking brake is set. These latest bypasses have timing circuitry to trick the head.
Old 05-01-15, 01:12 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

That is what I was afraid of...heck I bet the bypass cable is built by pioneer! LoL.
Old 05-02-15, 07:16 AM
Taysdad
Pit Crew

Here is what I wrote regarding head units in another post.........

Originally Posted by Taysdad

The funny thing is.......while every single installer to a person recommended a Kenwood head unit for the SC430, not a single one of those installers thought the Kenwood cameras were good/quality units.

Most installers recommended the DNN992 Excelon HU (some voted the DNX892 or the DNX692 as well) for those who are interested. The DNN992 was most preferred due to its unique screen (glass touch capacitive -- rest of line is either resistive or plastic) with the reverse tilt feature. The DNX892 was sometimes picked for value and the DNX692 for value and a "real" volume **** albeit a small screen.

BTW - I never really said, but I decided to go with the DNX692. I really like the idea of a "real" volume ****. I am hopeful that the screen is good enough to prevent washout when the top is down. I've seen several Alpine and even more Pioneer HUs in SC430s and the washout factor was quite aweful. The few Kenwoods (older models) I've seen have been noticeable better, but washout still comes into play. Once I get this installed in a couple of weeks (parts are all on order now), I'l post an honest feedback about the washout and just how severe it is.
Old 05-02-15, 10:24 AM
mohrd
Driver

I was worried about anything with a "****" and clearance for the head unit door. The Pioneer AVH-x3500BHS I installed has nice volume and track buttons on the side. It does however suffer from screen washout AND is hard to read with polarized sun glasses. But with use I've found a passenger can easily watch a DVD with the top down
Old 05-02-15, 10:26 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

These are nice! However, the price is a bit too rich for my blood.

Originally Posted by Taysdad
Here is what I wrote regarding head units in another post.........

BTW - I never really said, but I decided to go with the DNX692. I really like the idea of a "real" volume ****. I am hopeful that the screen is good enough to prevent washout when the top is down. I've seen several Alpine and even more Pioneer HUs in SC430s and the washout factor was quite aweful. The few Kenwoods (older models) I've seen have been noticeable better, but washout still comes into play. Once I get this installed in a couple of weeks (parts are all on order now), I'l post an honest feedback about the washout and just how severe it is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Stereo Head Unit to Choose?