SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Another new owner saying hi!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 10:26 PM
Balr14
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another new owner saying hi!

I have been looking for a SC430 for quite awhile. I hoped to find one locally in SE Wisconsin, but the few there are around here are overpriced with high mileage. There are some available in the Chicago area, but the nice ones are usually gone before I can get there. I finally found a nice 2005, one owner with 38k miles, at a very reasonable price for this part of the country, at a dealer in Highland Park. It had the VSC, VSC Off and Check engine lights on, which might have helped the cost. I have done enough research to know this probably means an error in the warning system and was worth the risk. As it turned out, it was easy to get reset for free.

The original owner took care of all the maintenance that was needed, but that was all. It has some cosmetic issues (some door dings and chips along the door edge, broken cup holder, torn and missing floor mats and a burned out side marker light). I'm sure this helped keep the cost down. But, I like it and these are easy fixes. I wouldn't mind a little more horsepower (Injun intake?) and driving with automatic transmission takes some getting used to.

Anyway, hope to be here for awhile and hope I have something worthwhile to contribute.
Old 04-30-15, 12:48 AM
JDaveSC430
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

welcome! you seem to have found the right one since you are handy with maintenance/repairs. Super low miles and all the little issues can be easily taken care of; what color combo did you get?

enjoy it and you will really love the car as we all do!
Dave H
NC
Old 04-30-15, 01:56 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Welcome to CL and post up some pictures when able!
Old 04-30-15, 06:31 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

welcome to the forum
Old 04-30-15, 07:21 AM
mikefromnc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Balr14

Congratulations on your new ride!
Hope you will enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.
Love It.

Mike
Old 04-30-15, 07:38 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome! I know the problem of finding good ones in the midwest. I ended up flying to Houston for mine and roadtripping back to Iowa with my teenage son. We had a great time.

Sounds like a little TLC and yours will represent well.

Kelly
Old 04-30-15, 09:49 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

Congratulations. Love good deals with easy fixes..
Old 04-30-15, 01:41 PM
chillsc
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on the new ride. You're going to enjoy it as well as this website.

Cheers
Old 04-30-15, 03:42 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Welcome to the forum Balr14 and congratulations on your acquisition. Enjoy. Post some pictures when you get the chance.
Old 05-13-15, 10:08 PM
Raydodger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome. I am a new 3 months owner and still love the ride. And this forum is very helpful.
Old 05-13-15, 10:26 PM
Balr14
Driver School Candidate

Right now it's at the local Lexus dealer getting checked out. My headlight aiming warning light came on and I don't think my headlights are doing the aiming thing. One thing I have noticed is that the ride is pretty harsh. It sticks to the road very well, no lean, no sway,no roll. I'm not complaining, just curious; it isn't what I was told to expect. With another 150 hp it would be perfect. But, I wouldn't have a license, so I guess it's a worthwhile trade-off!
Old 05-14-15, 06:29 AM
Taysdad
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
Right now it's at the local Lexus dealer getting checked out. My headlight aiming warning light came on and I don't think my headlights are doing the aiming thing. One thing I have noticed is that the ride is pretty harsh. It sticks to the road very well, no lean, no sway,no roll. I'm not complaining, just curious; it isn't what I was told to expect. With another 150 hp it would be perfect. But, I wouldn't have a license, so I guess it's a worthwhile trade-off!
Are you rolling on runflats still? If so, moving to standard tires makes an AMAZING difference in the ride harshness. I think everyone agrees that this is the number one thing you can do to improve ride quality. I know for me personally, it's the best money I ever spent on my SC430 (and I have spent a lot now ).
Old 05-14-15, 10:40 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Any idea if the previous owner(s) made any mods to the car?
Old 05-14-15, 11:16 AM
Balr14
Driver School Candidate

The harshness in the ride is due to bad rear struts.... which seems odd at 38k miles. Anyway, the dealer wants $1800 to replace them. Are there better options? Something that lasts longer?

Also the light leveling sensor needs replacing. But the dealer says it's a system I don't need unless I'm hauling something heavy, which is not going to happen. $600 to fix it seems like a lot for something I don't need. Maybe later.

To answer the questions:

The tires are nearly new and I don't know if they are "run flats". I will check.

The previous owner was a Chicago area doctor who did only required maintenance and nothing much else. The local Lexus dealer says the mileage is accurate and it looks like the previous owner spent a lot of time short, urban commuting. There is a lot of wear on the radio buttons, indicating someone spent a lot of time sitting in the car.

Last edited by Balr14; 05-14-15 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-14-15, 02:04 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

$1800 seem to be way too much for struts. I would look to find an independent shop and have them look at them. I believe mine has the original struts with 67k miles. My ride is smooth and tight.

Quick Reply: Another new owner saying hi!