SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Antenna Mod Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-15, 09:53 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I was wrong about the length of it, my mistake and apology to you. It is 4.7" TRD stubby antenna. You can get a longer different looking one if you found one you like better.
Old 04-23-15, 10:05 AM
NovaRnder
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello SrWilliams, all ears here! Doing the same project soon and best of luck to you!!! Pls. post pics, step by step if you can... thanks in advance!
Old 04-23-15, 10:51 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Gentlemen, I have looked at so many different antenna bases, Toyota Tacoma, Sienna, Highlander, Sequoia, Tundra, Lexus RX and even Dodge Ram pick up. I even bought two that I thought would be the right fit but not. Tundra antenna base IS the right fit on size and shape(angle), it requires the most minimum amount of work and mod to fit to our car. Others are either too big, small or almost right. The 07 Sienna comes very close but the angle is not perfect, Highlander, Sequoia and RX are powered. I done it and very pleased with it, shame on me that I didn't post a proper DIY.
Old 04-23-15, 12:58 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bb430
Gentlemen, I have looked at so many different antenna bases, Toyota Tacoma, Sienna, Highlander, Sequoia, Tundra, Lexus RX and even Dodge Ram pick up. I even bought two that I thought would be the right fit but not. Tundra antenna base IS the right fit on size and shape(angle), it requires the most minimum amount of work and mod to fit to our car. Others are either too big, small or almost right. The 07 Sienna comes very close but the angle is not perfect, Highlander, Sequoia and RX are powered. I done it and very pleased with it, shame on me that I didn't post a proper DIY.
OKAY BB430:

Went to the Toyota Dealership and used the part number you supplied and ordered/purchased the Tundra antenna base. They had to order it and I will have it by 10:00 in the morning.

All said and done, once I made the purchase I felt good about it. Now that you clarified the Stubby antenna length I will go on eBay and get the 4.7 inch like the one you got. Now if you have changed which mini antenna you are using let me know before I purchase the chrome and black one you posted in your pictures, which looks really nice.

I will purchase the stubby antenna as soon as I hear from you that you are still using the same one
Old 04-23-15, 01:00 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Originally Posted by NovaRnder
Hello SrWilliams, all ears here! Doing the same project soon and best of luck to you!!! Pls. post pics, step by step if you can... thanks in advance!
Nova:

I am going to start a new thread as BB430 earlier suggested and set forth the step by step mod. I got you covered with the pics of everything I am doing. But all I will be doing is adding the pictures to the very clear instructions that BB430 has so kindly provided, which I will be following to a tee
Old 04-23-15, 01:42 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Yes, I am still using the TRD stubby antenna. I have 3 different antennas 2 TRD and one of the chrome one. They all work but the TRD ones seem to get better receptions.
Old 04-23-15, 02:10 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Originally Posted by bb430

Yes, I am still using the TRD stubby antenna. I have 3 different antennas 2 TRD and one of the chrome one. They all work but the TRD ones seem to get better receptions.
Okay I have my trunk totally torn down and ready for my assembly when I get my Tundra Base tomorrow.

I think I found the antenna you are using, But to be sure is it the silver one with the carbon fibre black in the middle, I cannot tell from all of your pictures if the black portion of your antenna is carbon fiber. If it is I think i found it on eBay. Please let me know so I can purchase
Old 04-23-15, 02:23 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Yes, the centef TRD one is silver-carbon fiber-silver. It gets the best receptions I have tried.
Old 04-23-15, 02:23 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

The S2000 antenna abound at fleabay. Suggest you go the Tundra base route. If you like what I had. Good luck anyway.
Old 04-23-15, 03:50 PM
SrWilliams
Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
The S2000 antenna abound at fleabay. Suggest you go the Tundra base route. If you like what I had. Good luck anyway.
Mandyfig:

Thanks for weighing in and also for responding back to my PM. I did go with the Tundra base.

How is your am/fm reception with the S2000 antenna
Old 04-23-15, 08:34 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I have a question. Does the tundra base have the exact same wire harness? Is it just plug and play or does it require some modification?
Old 04-23-15, 11:59 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I have a question. Does the tundra base have the exact same wire harness? Is it just plug and play or does it require some modification?
It's plug and play. Remember, it is not powered antenna so you don't use the power plug. There is no drain tube to connect to either. I just zip ties those two together and zip ties to the tube of new aantenna. Don't forget to plug in the antenna cable's male plug to the female plug of the antenna. There's no modification to any wire at all.
Hopefully when SrWilliams doing this he can clarify all these with photos and a brief description.
Old 04-24-15, 12:04 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SrWilliams
Mandyfig:

Thanks for weighing in and also for responding back to my PM. I did go with the Tundra base.

I would certainly assume if you were to use a longer screw on antenna, for sure the reception will be better. The matter would be whether you can find a longer antenna you like.
Old 04-24-15, 10:40 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by SrWilliams
Mandyfig:

No complaints whatsoever.

Also I listen to Itunes and Pandora, so no more radio for me. The antenna remains to be a decorative feature for me, just hated the fact that this telescoping antenna would be up simply because you wanted to listen to the radio. It "dates" the car.

Of course, friends would always give me a hard time when they see my cassette deck....LOL!
Old 04-24-15, 11:53 AM
SrWilliams
Driver

Okay BB43:

I am making progress with this and am sure to take pictures step by step, which I will post. But a couple of questions on the mounting so I do not mess something up. Understand that I got my Tundra holder and following your directions not only in this thread but also in your post to Mandyfig's thread, I popped off the retainer cap on the Tundra assembly. Thought it would be really difficult but your instructions were correct that it would be really easy. All I did was take a pair of hand grips or pliers and held the tube while I took a flat head screw driver and pried the metal cap off. Thought this was going to be hard but it turned out to be really easy. Filing the little metal hump was just as easy. Like I said I got pictures of all of this for everyone else. And will create a new thread with step by step instructions with pictures for each step.

Now I am ready to mount, but like I said I do not want to make a mistake. SO I got a couple of stupid questions:

1. After I cut the metal antenna pole (because 3 inches to long) do I put it in the black motor holder of our SC antenna assembly, that is after I pull the metal antenna holder out of the original black motor housing of our SC. I think this is a stupid question, but I got to ask. After I reread your instructions I think I am not supposed to use any of the original motor housing, but instead mount the Tundra antenna pole by use of the bracket that comes with it along with the black base holder from our antenna. But the black base holder is not the huge black motor piece correct---rather it is the slip on part that locks up against the colored or painted outside piece to the car? the bottom line I no longer use the entire motor assembly, that does not go back into the car correct?

2. In your instructions you wrote: "Now, the mounting bracket that comes with it needs to be modified to use. I flattened it and reshaped it to where I
can use it to mount and secure the antenna to the metal bracket in the car. I found a 2.5 inches long screw and 2 one inch thick rubber washer as spacers to secure it back to the hole that was used to secure the power antenna originally."
I could not follow that. First, when you said you mounted it to the original mounting spot on the car, is that the one bolt and screw that held the entire original SC antenna assembly to the car. The one where when you lossen it the entire antenna drops down from the bottom, Is that the mounting point you used or did you mount it to some other part of the car.
Could you explain what you mean you flattened out the bracket and used washers and longer bolts to make it fit. Maybe if you clarified the mounting point in the car that I asked in the above I can figure out on my own how you modified the mounting bracket. But I need to be sure about the exact mounting point.

3. My last question is when you said you bent the antenna Tundra pole so it would not rub up against the body of the car. Could you explain that just a little more. I got a feeling about what you arte talking about but I do not want to do something stupid and have to buy another Tn=undra assembly.

Soory for all of the above. Like I said I am at the point of installing and I want to make sure I do not do something done at the last phase.

Everyone, trust me I got pictures for all of this and based on what BB43 tells me I will even capture that in pictures. But I want to make sure we are doing it right

Quick Reply: Antenna Mod Help