SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Windshield Reflection

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 06:10 AM
Rentzer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Reflection

I have battled this "problem" for years and having just joined this forum a short while ago I realized that someone might have a solution for me so here goes.
I get a terrible reflection of the "hump" in my dashboard when driving east in the mornings or west in the evenings. The reflection is exactly in the middle of my line of sight. For a while I took a dull black cloth and draped it over the hump but doing that was an annoyance. I tried to dull down the dash with alcohol but that did not help. I can't recall if it was always like that or if at one time it may have had something put on it at a car wash (like Armorall). I only think that because I don't recall that problem bothering me years ago, but I also can't recall how long ago it began to bother me. If this is a "common" problem, or even if it isn't, I am hoping someone may have a solution for me.
Thanks in advance.
Bob
P.S. My car is a 2004 S.C. 430

Last edited by Rentzer; 04-02-15 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Forgot to list year and model of my car
Old 04-02-15, 06:56 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have the same problem with my wife's 2003. There is a lot of glare on the windshield coming off the dash. I haven't found a good solution. Perhaps someone on this forum has.
Old 04-02-15, 07:13 AM
NAmVet68
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a Dashboard mat. I had one of these on my wife's Acura TL when the dashboard material cracked because she was too lazy to use a sunscreen when she parked it at work (Florida sun is murder on Honda dashboards).

They are custom made to the vehicle (yes, they have patterns for all years of the SC430), with your choice of colors & materials, and are very reasonably priced ($40-$60 depending on what material you want it made from). You can even get them embroidered with a logo, your initials, etc. I was impressed with the quality of workmanship...and it totally eliminated the reflection off of the dashboard. My wife chose the wine-colored velour material to match the car, and it held up perfectly for the three years we had it before the car was sold.

Highly recommended..Check them out here:

http://www.carcoverusa.com/Dashmat-D...QN0aAqOv8P8HAQ

Last edited by NAmVet68; 04-03-15 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-02-15, 11:24 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what we spray on all sorts of reflective surfaces when shooting car commercials. It's not permanent though and rubs off easily. I personally wouldn't have a clue about it's long term use on a dashboard, but others may be more brave than I in trying it. We even used to use it on greasy food. No.....you're not supposed to eat it!
http://www.krylon.com/products/dulling-spray/
Old 04-02-15, 12:35 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Yep, I agree, a common but annoying problem.
Old 04-02-15, 01:39 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

lol same here... that dash is just too shiny lol! specially if you use cleaning products.. ah well
Old 04-03-15, 07:31 AM
Rentzer
Rookie

Good idea. Any suggestions where to order the mat?
Old 04-03-15, 07:39 AM
Rentzer
Rookie

Originally Posted by rudyH
This is what we spray on all sorts of reflective surfaces when shooting car commercials. It's not permanent though and rubs off easily. I personally wouldn't have a clue about it's long term use on a dashboard, but others may be more brave than I in trying it. We even used to use it on greasy food. No.....you're not supposed to eat it!
http://www.krylon.com/products/dulling-spray/
Funny but you just reminded me. I used to do some acting and I recall that when a scene had to be filmed from behind a person looking in a mirror , to avoid the camera showing up in reflection the mirror was dulled down with "AquaNet" hair spray. Not sure it is even made anymore. But I will try your suggestion. I suppose, to avoid overspray, I will need to mask off the windshield and all of the dash except for the hump area.
So, later today I will be off to the store and have them unlock the shelves that have the paint sprays, etc.
Terrible that kids today either "huff" or graffiti so that spray cans need to be kept under lock and key.
Bob

Last edited by Rentzer; 04-03-15 at 07:40 AM. Reason: error in grammer
Old 04-03-15, 07:51 AM
Rentzer
Rookie

Originally Posted by MDames2
We have the same problem with my wife's 2003. There is a lot of glare on the windshield coming off the dash. I haven't found a good solution. Perhaps someone on this forum has.
Forgot to mention that I tried to rub corn starch into the dash. Terrible idea. Not only didn't it work but it got all over the place. Anyway, I am going to try the Krylon dulling spray idea for now, while I wait for the member who posted about ordering a custom dash mat tells me where I can find those. If I hear back on that I will order one since it seems that the Kryon will only be a temporary solution.
Thanks to all who responded and I only wish I joined this forum years ago.
So far it has helped me eliminate the squeal when my steering wheel raises after I shut off the engine and it has helped me get a used Nav DVD player (although it turned out that one of the wires plugging into mine had simply come loose). So I now have the one I got as a spare which I will sell off once I have made 30 posts because that is a requirement before a new member can place an ad. Meanwhile I have it on eBay but no bites so far.
A pleasure meeting you all.
Bob
Old 04-03-15, 07:55 AM
Rentzer
Rookie

Originally Posted by NAmVet68
Try a Dashboard mat. I had one of these on my wife's Acura TL when the dashboard material cracked because she was too lazy to use a sunscreen when she parked it at work (Florida sun is murder on Honda dashboards).

They are custom made to the vehicle (yes, they have patterns for all years of the SC430), with your choice of colors & materials, and are very reasonably priced ($40-$60 depending on what material you want it made from). You can even get them embroidered with a logo, your initials, etc. I was impressed with the quality of workmanship...and it totally eliminated the reflection off of the dashboard. My wife chose the wine-colored velour material to match the car, and it held up perfectly for the three years we had it before the car was sold.

Highly recommended..Check them out here: http://www.carcoverusa.com/Dashmat-D...QN0aAqOv8P8HAQ
OOps. Asked where I could get the mat but went back to your post and see you provided the link.
Sorry, I was just too anxious to read the other posts!
Bob
Old 04-03-15, 03:54 PM
Rentzer
Rookie

Originally Posted by NAmVet68

Highly recommended..Check them out here:

http://www.carcoverusa.com/Dashmat-D...QN0aAqOv8P8HAQ
Just ordered one. Please note that because these are custom made, the estimated shipping date is two weeks after the order is placed.
Bob
Old 04-03-15, 03:57 PM
Rentzer
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rentzer
Funny but you just reminded me. I used to do some acting and I recall that when a scene had to be filmed from behind a person looking in a mirror , to avoid the camera showing up in reflection the mirror was dulled down with "AquaNet" hair spray. Not sure it is even made anymore. But I will try your suggestion. I suppose, to avoid overspray, I will need to mask off the windshield and all of the dash except for the hump area.
So, later today I will be off to the store and have them unlock the shelves that have the paint sprays, etc.
Terrible that kids today either "huff" or graffiti so that spray cans need to be kept under lock and key.
Bob
Went to Home Depot. They don't carry Krylon. Offered me another product which was "flat matte finish."
Decided not to buy that and will keep a lookout for the Kryon dull spray. Meanwhile I ordered the dash mat, so I may only need to suffer along with the glare for a few weeks till the mat gets delivered.
Bob
Old 04-03-15, 07:11 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Went to Home Depot. They don't carry Krylon. Offered me another product which was "flat matte finish."
Decided not to buy that and will keep a lookout for the Kryon dull spray. Meanwhile I ordered the dash mat, so I may only need to suffer along with the glare for a few weeks till the mat gets delivered.
Bob
Krylon would most likely be available at larger camera shops or Amazon. Make sure you test a small unobtrusive area first. I like the idea of the dash mat, but I just don't want to look at it. Also, I guess they use velcro and I'm just not a fan of any adhesive on my dashboard. Especially one that may be subject to high temps. I'm sure they're fine, but I worry about silly things sometimes.

Amazon.com: Krylon 11-Ounce Dulling Spray: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Krylon 11-Ounce Dulling Spray: Home Improvement
The reviews provide a little application insight.
Old 04-04-15, 07:48 AM
Rentzer
Rookie

Originally Posted by rudyH
Krylon would most likely be available at larger camera shops or Amazon. Make sure you test a small unobtrusive area first. I like the idea of the dash mat, but I just don't want to look at it. Also, I guess they use velcro and I'm just not a fan of any adhesive on my dashboard. Especially one that may be subject to high temps. I'm sure they're fine, but I worry about silly things sometimes.

Amazon.com: Krylon 11-Ounce Dulling Spray: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Krylon 11-Ounce Dulling Spray: Home Improvement
The reviews provide a little application insight.
Thanks for the feedback.
Didn't know that the mats need to be held down with Velcro. I am like you and would not want to paste anything onto the dash for concern over the residue or deterioration it might cause. I will see if the mat stays in place without needing to be pasted down. Meanwhile I will try some camera stores for the Krylon dulling spray.
Since that wears off in time I assume it will not damage the dash.
Bob
Old 04-04-15, 08:03 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Thanks for the feedback.
Didn't know that the mats need to be held down with Velcro. I am like you and would not want to paste anything onto the dash for concern over the residue or deterioration it might cause. I will see if the mat stays in place without needing to be pasted down. Meanwhile I will try some camera stores for the Krylon dulling spray.
Since that wears off in time I assume it will not damage the dash.
Bob
Let us know if the dash mat hangs in there without velcro. Maybe some of them don't need it. The 3 or 4 I saw online all needed it. Keep us posted on the Krylon too if you end up trying it.

Quick Reply: Windshield Reflection