SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

A good run...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-15, 12:18 AM
Black31385
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
This is a $50 iphone app. Plus you need to get the wifi transmitter for your ob2 ports. Let me know and I can write up a tutorial when I have a chance.
I have android do you know if i can still use it?

So I have to buy the obd2 and the app?
Old 04-03-15, 04:24 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Black31385
I have android do you know if i can still use it?

So I have to buy the obd2 and the app?
Yeah you need the wifi transmitter. I think it is called Kiwi. There are a list if compatible devices on the dash command website..it goes for around 20 -30 dollars. Installation is easy but sometimes tricky. Let me know if you need help. I think androids have the app as well.
Old 04-03-15, 09:05 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks really cool and fun.

Your original post was that the SC430 can't meet or go faster than the factory published 5.9 0-60. Yes it can.

The time however is meaningless with out specifying the conditions and there are many variables. So measuring it and comparing with other folks is just for fun ... Different car weights (including the passenger weight) fuel level, temperature, humidity, tire type and size, wet/dry surface, road surface type and level and lunar cycle and sun spots (hehe) all have an effect. If your wheels and tires are not OEM they might have a slight different in the distance travelled per rotation which would effect the mph. Each tire has a spec for number of rotations per mile for example.

It is fun to have a metric for your car, you as a driver, with a x% full tank, at the same road, etc so you can compare but your numbers are not a generality for the car, nor are very comparable with other folks in their cars.

Re. On the track - the only place where you can race and get a good comparison of the 0-60, 1/8 and 1/4 mile times is a drag strip that has all the standard electronics. You can also go side by side if you want to somyou can race a friend in his car. You get a paper slip with all the details not from your tire sensors but from the exact times you car passes certain measured distances. You don't get a 0-60 time but folks use online calculators and the data from the 1/8 mile marker to calculate that which is quite accurate.

On the road track, unless you are licensed to drive in an actual races, there is no racing. You can go as fast as you can but passing is with permission and it is not a wheel to wheel experience. For autocross you compare the time to complete the course.

You might want to do some runs at a drag strip - it's fun and generates good data.

So in summary, and respectfully, 0-60 times are fun and you can monitor you car's performance but for comparisons they are simply isolated data points.
Old 04-03-15, 09:33 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Looks really cool and fun.

Your original post was that the SC430 can't meet or go faster than the factory published 5.9 0-60. Yes it can.

The time however is meaningless with out specifying the conditions and there are many variables. So measuring it and comparing with other folks is just for fun ... Different car weights (including the passenger weight) fuel level, temperature, humidity, tire type and size, wet/dry surface, road surface type and level and lunar cycle and sun spots (hehe) all have an effect. If your wheels and tires are not OEM they might have a slight different in the distance travelled per rotation which would effect the mph. Each tire has a spec for number of rotations per mile for example.

It is fun to have a metric for your car, you as a driver, with a x% full tank, at the same road, etc so you can compare but your numbers are not a generality for the car, nor are very comparable with other folks in their cars.

Re. On the track - the only place where you can race and get a good comparison of the 0-60, 1/8 and 1/4 mile times is a drag strip that has all the standard electronics. You can also go side by side if you want to somyou can race a friend in his car. You get a paper slip with all the details not from your tire sensors but from the exact times you car passes certain measured distances. You don't get a 0-60 time but folks use online calculators and the data from the 1/8 mile marker to calculate that which is quite accurate.

On the road track, unless you are licensed to drive in an actual races, there is no racing. You can go as fast as you can but passing is with permission and it is not a wheel to wheel experience. For autocross you compare the time to complete the course.

You might want to do some runs at a drag strip - it's fun and generates good data.

So in summary, and respectfully, 0-60 times are fun and you can monitor you car's performance but for comparisons they are simply isolated data points.
Hi Greg,
Thanks for your note. I agree these test runs are not apples to oranges comparisons. That's why I said in my initial sentence that "just for fun" I posted my 0-60.

I don't feel like my car really even can do 5.9. Maybe be due to my driving or one of the parameters you mention.

I want to go to the track. Honestly I'm a little nervous.
Old 04-03-15, 09:54 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

brett
you will only know if you go. lot of fun and you lean things. leaning how to take off is the big thing.
greg somed it up.
Old 04-03-15, 10:00 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...gt2-180-page-3