SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Headlight Auto-Leveling Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-15, 06:54 AM
Bilque
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Auto-Leveling Warning Light

So, driving home from the meet & greet in DC yesterday and when I turned on the headlights, the auto-leveling light came on. It randomly came and went for a bit but was on continuously by the time we got home. Headlights work and are at the correct height. Lights cycle up/down when the key is turned. Other than the warning light, it appears to be working normally.

Of note, this was the first time using the lights after the airbag actuator recall last week. Not sure how it could be connected unless it is a dash connection issue. If not, any thoughts on how to isolate if or which sensor is causing the issue?
Old 03-30-15, 08:17 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Remember, everything is connected in these cars. I would take it back to the place that did the recall work. I assume it was Lexus.
Old 03-30-15, 05:11 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I am going through the same problem (without the airbag recall situation). I was getting the same symptoms as you, ALS warning light would come and go. Took it into Lexus 3 times. They said everything looked fine. After reading posts on this site, I asked them to look specifically at the front ride height sensor. Charged me $139 diagnostic fee. Came back and said it was "failing." I assume they disconnected it, as I don't get the light but still get a start up "bounce," but the lights always level too low. It wasn't this way previously. It would bounce and would actually adjust while I was in motion. Now it just stays low after the start up "bounce." Could be your issue, too. Good Luck trying to get Lexus to admit it if it was their fault, but I can see them saying they two systems are not connected. Sorry.
Old 03-30-15, 08:06 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I am going through the same problem (without the airbag recall situation). I was getting the same symptoms as you, ALS warning light would come and go. Took it into Lexus 3 times. They said everything looked fine. After reading posts on this site, I asked them to look specifically at the front ride height sensor. Charged me $139 diagnostic fee. Came back and said it was "failing." I assume they disconnected it, as I don't get the light but still get a start up "bounce," but the lights always level too low. It wasn't this way previously. It would bounce and would actually adjust while I was in motion. Now it just stays low after the start up "bounce." Could be your issue, too. Good Luck trying to get Lexus to admit it if it was their fault, but I can see them saying they two systems are not connected. Sorry.
Have you changed your light bulbs? If so, maybe the little motor socket was not put back or pushed in correctly. I'm thinking that's my problem but haven't have time to go back and make sure they were attached correctly. Of course its even worse(lower) after the RCA installed. I think I'm losing maybe 20ft of distance now.
Old 03-30-15, 08:29 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I put in LED's rather than the OEM bulbs but been running fine for about 2.5 years. I never disconnected anything else. What's an RCA (in this application)?
Old 03-30-15, 11:28 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm installing LS400 front brake calipers and the RCA (Roll Center Adjuster) spacer would lower the steering arm so that the calipers won't hit the knuckles. It also lower the front suspension and therefore the headlights are pointing down more.
I did changed my light bulb and I need to check my work again. My headlights are lower than before afterwards so I think maybe I didn't put them back correctly. But like you, l could not adjust my headlights from the adjuster screws.