SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 SC430 Navigation Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-15, 02:36 PM
tnoble
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 SC430 Navigation Update

Hi, everyone. I just bought an '02 SC430 that desperately needs a navigation update. I'd rather not spend $400 at a dealership. All of the forum threads I've found about this are several years old, so I am getting confused as to which update version to look for. I'd prefer not to buy a disc just to find out that it's eight year old information. Can anyone please tell me the part number or other identifying information for the most current update disc? My car has the stock navigation equipment. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-17-15, 02:39 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

NOTE: The part number shows ...-GN23W-13. The W. means west and the -13 is the year, 2013. This is the latest update for the generation 2/3. The GN23 stands for Generation 2/3. It also says WEST on the right side of the disk. I have read this is for western North America. There is also an EAST. I have no idea where the cut off is located. My guess would be the center of the country. North and south of Omaha, Ne should be about the center of the USA.

Last edited by Bgw70; 03-17-15 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-17-15, 03:32 PM
MyLparts
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The most current version is the Version 13. Your navigation is the Gen 2/3. There is an East and a West disc. This is East and West of the Mississippi. These discs have the same info, the difference is searching POI's. For example if you have a west disc and you go back east and search "Mcdonalds" it will not show you anything. But if you search "fast food" Mcdonalds will show up. Since the info on these discs is so large, they removed a lot of the specific search terms to allow for more room for mapping. Lexus did not come out with a version 14 disc this year for the Gen 2/3 navigation. Odds are this version, the 13 version, will be the last update that Lexus ever makes for the Gen 2/3. We sell this disc for $169.00 at www.Lpartsworld.com
Hope this helps with any questions you had.
Old 03-17-15, 04:16 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLparts
The most current version is the Version 13. Your navigation is the Gen 2/3. There is an East and a West disc. This is East and West of the Mississippi. These discs have the same info, the difference is searching POI's. For example if you have a west disc and you go back east and search "Mcdonalds" it will not show you anything. But if you search "fast food" Mcdonalds will show up. Since the info on these discs is so large, they removed a lot of the specific search terms to allow for more room for mapping. Lexus did not come out with a version 14 disc this year for the Gen 2/3 navigation. Odds are this version, the 13 version, will be the last update that Lexus ever makes for the Gen 2/3. We sell this disc for $169.00 at www.Lpartsworld.com
Hope this helps with any questions you had.
Does the $169 provide both the East and West disks?

Also, why is this disk the most expensive? It seems that newer generations update disk are less money.
Old 03-18-15, 07:18 AM
MyLparts
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Does the $169 provide both the East and West disks?

Also, why is this disk the most expensive? It seems that newer generations update disk are less money.
No, there are separate discs for East and West. You must pick one based on your location. When the new discs came out in November, Lexus ran a special price for the Gen 4 and Gen 5 discs. The Gen 2/3 disc stayed at the regular price. The special pricing ended on 12/31/14, so the Gen 4 & 5 discs should now be sold at the same price. But each dealer can price them however they seem fit.
Old 03-18-15, 03:03 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Welcome to the forum tnoble and congratulations on your new acquisition.
Old 03-18-15, 03:35 PM
tnoble
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the welcome and all of the helpful info!
Old 03-26-15, 04:32 AM
mikefromnc
Driver School Candidate

TNOBLE. I've got exactly the same situation as you (recent purchase of SC430 2002). The navigation in my car is virtually useless.
I would be very interested to know if you have taken any action on the upgrade of yours and what your opinion is. (Follow the leader)

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-30-15, 03:04 PM
tnoble
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikefromnc
TNOBLE. I've got exactly the same situation as you (recent purchase of SC430 2002). The navigation in my car is virtually useless.
I would be very interested to know if you have taken any action on the upgrade of yours and what your opinion is. (Follow the leader)

Thanks
Mike
Hi, Mike, congratulations on your purchase! I ordered from ************.com and after two or three weeks I received a copy instead of an original disc (I had no idea I was ordering a copy). Friends advised me to try it anyway, but now it's showing the Japanese script and the error message about inserting the proper disc. I have ordered an official update disc from lpartsworld.com on the advice of one of the posters here, but it is on backorder until at least 4/8/15. I really hope this new disc fixes the problem, as the nav unit is currently useless. This combined with Bluetooth head unit woes is causing lots of stress in my life, though I'm not quite yet sorry I bought it. Hopefully you have better luck! I'll try to remember to post an update once I can try the new disc.
Old 03-31-15, 08:50 PM
tnoble
Driver School Candidate

I've been reading a lot of threads about the "Insert Proper Disc" error message, and it just hit me- was there something else I was supposed to do? I thought that to update the maps I just had to take out the original navigation disc, replace it with the newest version, and let it do its thing. Was there another step that I missed?

Also, all of the threads regarding the override are confusing me. Help?
Old 04-01-15, 03:17 AM
mikefromnc
Driver School Candidate

TNOBLE
Thanks for your response. I'm sorry you are having trouble with the nav update. Stick with it and I'll bet you will find the solution.
Please keep me posted. At some point, I'll have to do the same thing.

Mikefromnc
Old 04-02-15, 11:47 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

The only procedure that I'm aware of is to insert the disk, close it up and let it run.
Old 04-02-15, 07:18 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone kept the original Nav as is and using a 7" tablet for navigation? where/how did u mount/place it? any Pics?
Old 04-03-15, 07:51 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Prasha
Anyone kept the original Nav as is and using a 7" tablet for navigation? where/how did u mount/place it? any Pics?
All answers are always to be found on Club Lexus! I'm starting to learn that!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...a-think-2.html
Old 04-05-15, 02:37 AM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rudyH
All answers are always to be found on Club Lexus! I'm starting to learn that!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...a-think-2.html
anyone using Android tablet?

Quick Reply: 2002 SC430 Navigation Update