SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Headlight Aim and brightness

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-15, 06:30 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
So since this thread also relates to aim, i have a question. My front left ride height sensor has gone bad. Took it to Lexus who wanted $800+ for the new part and repair. I can't afford that so I had them disconnect it. Now the lights do not auto adjust on start up and remain to point too low. I see the turn screws on both side, but it says only 10%. I assume that this will only increase the aim up 10% max. Can anyone confirm this? Is there a way to get them back to a higher level (other than the $800 repair). Thanks.
Are you handy with "electricity"? If yes then you might try this: (If not then take your car to someone that is)
First, you can disassemble the height sensor and sometimes it can be cleaned up and put back in service. That's certainly the cheapest thing to do. If that fails and you want to just manually set the headlights to a single level then you could do this:

The leveler is basically a variable resistor that's connected to your suspension. If you want to manually set the height and leave it there then I'd try a 1,000 ohm potentiometer from Radio Shack in place of the level sensor. Basically you disconnect level sensor and wire in the pot. If you want to go this direction I can tell you the ID's of the pin terminals of the plug for the level sensor. Once the pot is wired in then manually adjusting the pot will cause your headlights to move up and down.

If I were you I'd just keep an eye out on eBay for a good sensor and get it with "returns accepted" terms.
Old 03-11-15, 06:51 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry guys I thought you were talking about HID conversion kits... I'm wondering though, how come you guys replaced your bulbs? did they die out?

Personally I wouldn't replace OEM Lighting for aftermarket on Lexus unless many things went wrong such as ballasts bulbs etc... because it would be expensive to replace.. how ever I have ordered a few led headlight kits and tested them on other vehicles at home.. I dont plan on replacing SC headlights so I plan on using them for my SC's fog lights as I did on my GX.

LED lights keep developing and getting better and brighter and have way to many positives over hid. HID conversion kits are known to produce I believe around 2800+- lumens .. The first set of COB led headlights Is claimed to be producing 4200lm I obviously cant measure that but all I can say is THEY ARE BRIGHT... then I tried ETI 2nd gen and they suppose to produce 6000 lm... and now there is also upto 9000lm with 2 pce phillips led (havnt looked too into this yet but will probably try a set soon)

Anyhow I will post a pic of the kits I tried shortly..

@ Black - do you have a pic of lights on the road? seems like you have an 06? is the headlight housing OEM?
@ Shawn my sensor is broken too and lights are moving up and down.. quiet annoying.. I believe a new sensor is around $300? and quiet easy to replace... my headlights also aim too high, need to fix that.

Last edited by 416tt; 03-11-15 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-11-15, 07:26 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bon
They're probably not a lot brighter than yours as it may be just the exposure of the photo. They're Philips D4S. I got them here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Buying Amazon sure doesn't guarantee genuine parts. I got fake Samsung batteries from Amazon last year. They took them right back when I complained.
I got the Phillips D4S as well but from ebay. They told me it was real. I saw a photo saying the real ones have a small dent on the bulb. Mine did not come with this dent. The ones you purchased from Amazon, did they come with this dent?
Old 03-11-15, 07:30 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bimmer416
Sorry guys I thought you were talking about HID conversion kits... I'm wondering though, how come you guys replaced your bulbs? did they die out?

Personally I wouldn't replace OEM Lighting for aftermarket on Lexus unless many things went wrong such as ballasts bulbs etc... because it would be expensive to replace.. how ever I have ordered a few led headlight kits and tested them on other vehicles at home.. I dont plan on replacing SC headlights so I plan on using them for my SC's fog lights as I did on my GX.

LED lights keep developing and getting better and brighter and have way to many positives over hid. HID conversion kits are known to produce I believe around 2800+- lumens .. The first set of COB led headlights Is claimed to be producing 4200lm I obviously cant measure that but all I can say is THEY ARE BRIGHT... then I tried ETI 2nd gen and they suppose to produce 6000 lm... and now there is also upto 9000lm with 2 pce phillips led (havnt looked too into this yet but will probably try a set soon)

@ Black - do you have a pic of lights on the road? seems like you have an 06? is the headlight housing OEM?
@ Shawn my sensor is broken too and lights are moving up and down.. quiet annoying.. I believe a new sensor is around $300? and quiet easy to replace... my headlights also aim too high, need to fix that.

I will post a pic on the road. I have an 02 SC with 06 headlight conversion. I changed the oem bulbs because I had added led license plate lights and the colors do not match.
Old 03-11-15, 07:35 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

So since this thread also relates to aim, i have a question. My front left ride height sensor has gone bad. Took it to Lexus who wanted $800+ for the new part and repair. I can't afford that so I had them disconnect it. Now the lights do not auto adjust on start up and remain to point too low. I see the turn screws on both side, but it says only 10%. I assume that this will only increase the aim up 10% max. Can anyone confirm this? Is there a way to get them back to a higher level (other than the $800 repair). Thanks.
I am confused. How does the ride height sensor make the headlights point low? Are you talking about aiming the headlight from adjusting from the top? If so, I have been adjusting my headlights and it has been adjusting up/down around 5-6 inches. Not sure if that helps or not.
Old 03-11-15, 08:56 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Bon
Are you handy with "electricity"? If yes then you might try this: (If not then take your car to someone that is)
First, you can disassemble the height sensor and sometimes it can be cleaned up and put back in service. That's certainly the cheapest thing to do. If that fails and you want to just manually set the headlights to a single level then you could do this:

The leveler is basically a variable resistor that's connected to your suspension. If you want to manually set the height and leave it there then I'd try a 1,000 ohm potentiometer from Radio Shack in place of the level sensor. Basically you disconnect level sensor and wire in the pot. If you want to go this direction I can tell you the ID's of the pin terminals of the plug for the level sensor. Once the pot is wired in then manually adjusting the pot will cause your headlights to move up and down.

If I were you I'd just keep an eye out on eBay for a good sensor and get it with "returns accepted" terms.
Thanks so much for that info. Yeah, that might be a little over my head. I'm not that great with wiring in that aspect. Smaller jobs I can handle. I think you're right though, I will keep an eye out on ebay and other scrap yards for an acceptable replacement.

Originally Posted by Black31385
I am confused. How does the ride height sensor make the headlights point low? Are you talking about aiming the headlight from adjusting from the top? If so, I have been adjusting my headlights and it has been adjusting up/down around 5-6 inches. Not sure if that helps or not.
A few months ago, while driving my headlights would "bounce" up and down. They would constantly be adjusting position vertically like they were dancing all over the road. Oncoming traffic would think I was flashing them. Additionally, I kept having a Headlight AutoLevel Light warning on my 2002 SC430 which would come and go. I took it in repeatedly and Lexus told me they could find nothing wrong with the headlight motors, nor the sensors. I did research on this forum and finally with the help of the pros, was able to request Lexus do a full diagnostic on the system ($139) and to specifically look at the sensors. They came back a few hours later stating that the front left ride height sensor was failing and that was causing my headlights to adjust repeatedly. Thus they quoted me $800+ for the new part and the labor to replace it. A while ago, when I was only getting the bouncing and intermittent error light, I tried to manually adjust the headlights using the screw at the top of the actual headlight unit. The beam barely moved at that time. Not sure how it would affect it now, but will try tomorrow.
Old 03-11-15, 09:01 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

Thanks so much for that info. Yeah, that might be a little over my head. I'm not that great with wiring in that aspect. Smaller jobs I can handle. I think you're right though, I will keep an eye out on ebay and other scrap yards for an acceptable replacement.

A few months ago, while driving my headlights would "bounce" up and down. They would constantly be adjusting position vertically like they were dancing all over the road. Oncoming traffic would think I was flashing them. Additionally, I kept having a Headlight AutoLevel Light warning on my 2002 SC430 which would come and go. I took it in repeatedly and Lexus told me they could find nothing wrong with the headlight motors, nor the sensors. I did research on this forum and finally with the help of the pros, was able to request Lexus do a full diagnostic on the system ($139) and to specifically look at the sensors. They came back a few hours later stating that the front left ride height sensor was failing and that was causing my headlights to adjust repeatedly. Thus they quoted me $800+ for the new part and the labor to replace it. A while ago, when I was only getting the bouncing and intermittent error light, I tried to manually adjust the headlights using the screw at the top of the actual headlight unit. The beam barely moved at that time. Not sure how it would affect it now, but will try tomorrow.

Oh ok. That makes sense now. It took a lot of turns to get it to move 5 inches
Old 03-11-15, 09:08 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many turns is a lot of turns? I need to raise my headlights as well but i have yet to make any progress after about 5 to 6 complete turns. I assume clockwise is up, right?
Old 03-12-15, 07:32 AM
Black31385
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bb430
How many turns is a lot of turns? I need to raise my headlights as well but i have yet to make any progress after about 5 to 6 complete turns. I assume clockwise is up, right?
I am not sure about the 02-05 headlights, but on the 06-10 I did about approximately 20-25 turns for about 1-2 inches to raise up/down.
Old 03-13-15, 01:15 AM
Black31385
Intermediate

Here is the picture of my headlights on the road. This is with my fog lights on.
Attached Thumbnails Headlight Aim and brightness-image.jpg  
Old 03-13-15, 08:14 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Black31385
Here is the picture of my headlights on the road. This is with my fog lights on.
1) HOLY CRAP your headlights are way to dim. I wonder if it has anything to do with the conversion from 02 to 06? is it plug and play?

2) Well i do notice your headlights are pointing way to high.. mine are also and my sensor is broken so need to change that.. But that does take some of the brightness off the road.

Ill take a pic of mine tonight for you.. and also of the led headlights on another vehicle.
Old 03-13-15, 11:04 AM
taisho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.autoanything.com/lights/p...onversion-kits

Are these plug and play?
Old 03-13-15, 03:23 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

1) HOLY CRAP your headlights are way to dim. I wonder if it has anything to do with the conversion from 02 to 06? is it plug and play?

2) Well i do notice your headlights are pointing way to high.. mine are also and my sensor is broken so need to change that.. But that does take some of the brightness off the road.

Ill take a pic of mine tonight for you.. and also of the led headlights on another vehicle.
I dont think it has anything to do with the conversion. The lights were brighter than this when I first got it, just don't know how much brighter. I'm suspecting my light bulbs I just purchased about 6 months ago.
Old 03-13-15, 03:26 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...do you think you could have adjusted them too high ?
Old 03-13-15, 03:55 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...do you think you could have adjusted them too high ?
Let me try lowering them. The reason why I raised my headlights was due to it not being bright enough.

Quick Reply: Headlight Aim and brightness