SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Urgent - Need To Remove Transmission Pan - Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-15, 01:08 PM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Urgent - Need To Remove Transmission Pan - Stuck

I've got my '02 SC430 in the air and have remove the 18 (yes, 18 not 20 like some later models) bolts securing the transmission pan. Have drained already drained it, too.

My problem is that the pan appears top be almost glued to the transmission with some red gunk (I guess original Lexus permaseal type gasket material). Does anyone have a secret way of prying off the pan without bending the edges?

I tried "coaxing" the pan with a rubber mallet to break the seal loose, but no luck.

I'm going to change my shift pressure as several others have done.
Thanks
Old 03-07-15, 02:03 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TXFM
I've got my '02 SC430 in the air and have remove the 18 (yes, 18 not 20 like some later models) bolts securing the transmission pan. Have drained already drained it, too.

My problem is that the pan appears top be almost glued to the transmission with some red gunk (I guess original Lexus permaseal type gasket material). Does anyone have a secret way of prying off the pan without bending the edges?

I tried "coaxing" the pan with a rubber mallet to break the seal loose, but no luck.

I'm going to change my shift pressure as several others have done.
Thanks
I guess you could try an ultra wide putty knife with a very thin flexible blade. Are you sure the pan's never been off before and someone went Locktite crazy? Prying with anything would be my last resort.
Old 03-07-15, 03:59 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by rudyH
I guess you could try an ultra wide putty knife with a very thin flexible blade. Are you sure the pan's never been off before and someone went Locktite crazy? Prying with anything would be my last resort.
I was thinking the same thing, though you might be able to use the wide putty knife to cut through the glue and whatever is there.
Old 03-07-15, 04:01 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The red stuff is a form in place gasket. Just use a razor or similar tool. I have fine this twice, and it is not too hard. Feel free to PM me if you have questions. This is also a good time to do the valve mod and change the filter..
Old 03-07-15, 04:34 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBrett
The red stuff is a form in place gasket. Just use a razor or similar tool. I have fine this twice, and it is not too hard. Feel free to PM me if you have questions. This is also a good time to do the valve mod and change the filter..
Is that the way the factory does it or might it have been done afterwards? If it's factory, do they use this technique on any other sealing surfaces? Just curious.
Old 03-07-15, 06:06 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the red stuff is only for the atf pan, and comes out of the factory that way not sure though
Old 03-07-15, 07:58 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBrett
I think the red stuff is only for the atf pan, and comes out of the factory that way not sure though
It's not a big deal. Just wondering. I've seen some factory footage of German engines that have gaskets "dispensed" by computer controlled robotics. No gaskets as we know them. I just remember thinking that out in the field, can a mechanic match the precision when making new seals after repairs. I suppose being German machinery, they operate on the assumption they'll never need to be opened up. Thanks.
Old 03-07-15, 09:14 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

The pan can be removed by using a blade/boxcutter and cutting the seal. Use a whizz wheel to remove all the sealant from the pan and a blade to clean up the sealant from the transmission side. You can use the gasket by felpro instead of the sealant. I did this a month ago and have no leaks etc. Felpro gaskets are available at autozone.
Old 03-07-15, 10:14 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can get a pan removal tool that has a right angle so you hit the head with a mallet. The trick though is to remove the brace on the front side which blocks getting a good whack in to brake the seal. It's hard to get the right leverage from the other directions. Yes this red FIP (form in place) is factory, They use a black FIG for the differential cover and engine. Good luck.
Old 03-08-15, 05:06 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
You can get a pan removal tool that has a right angle so you hit the head with a mallet. The trick though is to remove the brace on the front side which blocks getting a good whack in to brake the seal. It's hard to get the right leverage from the other directions. Yes this red FIP (form in place) is factory, They use a black FIG for the differential cover and engine. Good luck.
That's interesting. Thanks for the definitive info.
Old 03-08-15, 07:40 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

I appreciate all the good suggestions. After I posted late yesterday I destrung an old guitar and used a couple of different string - no luck. Same with putty knife and razor blade, but I probably did get it started. Eventually I was successful with a thin pry bar - for once I was patient and used it to slowly rock the ban downwards without warping it. The seal finally started breaking and I could work the pan downward starting from the back.

I did make the pressure **** adjustment and used the Fel-pro gasket to close it up after cleaning the pan etc. In total about 4 quarts drained out. I really don't like that factory sealant.

What I didn't expect was having to remove the bracket attached to the engine that secures the cats so that I could get to the 2 interior bolts at the front of the pan.. I used the impact wrench., and so far, no codes.

Refilled 4 quarts and am being very careful in running it.

Again - thanks for all the ideas - sorry I didn't see them until this morning. Now gotta go clean and put away all those dirty tools. This really is a messy job.
Old 03-08-15, 07:45 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TXFM
I appreciate all the good suggestions. After I posted late yesterday I destrung an old guitar and used a couple of different string - no luck. Same with putty knife and razor blade, but I probably did get it started. Eventually I was successful with a thin pry bar - for once I was patient and used it to slowly rock the ban downwards without warping it. The seal finally started breaking and I could work the pan downward starting from the back.

I did make the pressure **** adjustment and used the Fel-pro gasket to close it up after cleaning the pan etc. In total about 4 quarts drained out. I really don't like that factory sealant.

What I didn't expect was having to remove the bracket attached to the engine that secures the cats so that I could get to the 2 interior bolts at the front of the pan.. I used the impact wrench., and so far, no codes.

Refilled 4 quarts and am being very careful in running it.

Again - thanks for all the ideas - sorry I didn't see them until this morning. Now gotta go clean and put away all those dirty tools. This really is a messy job.
Wow, who would have thought the toughest part of the job was getting the pan off? Well done. Let us know how the adjustment works out for you.
Old 01-11-16, 04:51 PM
LexMan2003
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

I was prepared to change the transmission screen/filter, clean out the pan, and replenish the (4qts?) of Type-IV this weekend. I thought I had all the tools I needed, but ran into two things unexpected. So I simply drained the fluid and replenished and saved the task for another day.

The two things that were unexpected:

1. Those same 2 bolts you mentioned at the front of the pan. I'd like to avoid removing that cat bracket. I was thinking perhaps a flex socket or a flex extension bar. But it looks like a VERY tight/shallow area.

2. There is a metal tubing/pipe permanently attached to the pan. I believe that is dipstick tube. Is that attached anywhere above the pan, or is it so rigid that it doesn't have any other attachment? I couldn't visually see anything there.

Thank you.
Old 03-20-16, 02:48 PM
BigDill
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexMan2003
I was prepared to change the transmission screen/filter, clean out the pan, and replenish the (4qts?) of Type-IV this weekend. I thought I had all the tools I needed, but ran into two things unexpected. So I simply drained the fluid and replenished and saved the task for another day.

1. Those same 2 bolts you mentioned at the front of the pan. I'd like to avoid removing that cat bracket. I was thinking perhaps a flex socket or a flex extension bar. But it looks like a VERY tight/shallow area.

2. There is a metal tubing/pipe permanently attached to the pan. I believe that is dipstick tube. Is that attached anywhere above the pan, or is it so rigid that it doesn't have any other attachment? I couldn't visually see anything there.

Thank you.
Well if it's anything like my GS300, the only real option is to drill through the bracket to fit a socket in. No extension was flexible enough. No wrench, crows foot or socket would reach. On my car it was a bracket covering the one corner bolt. Drilled one big hole to fit a 10mm socket.

And 2) on my GS the dipstick tube is about 2 feet long and it goes inside the tube coming out of the tranny. There's a rounded l shaped tube coming upward at a forward angle and the junction is 3 to 5 inches above the corner of the l shape. You have to find a section that looks like it telescopes into another section, and bang the male end with the end of a breaker bar or something else (like tapping a pickle jar) to free it. Then pull upward.
Old 12-23-16, 10:41 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LexMan2003

Thank you.
Did you ever figure out the dipstik tube? I am in the middle of working on dropping the pan so I can do the pressure mod. I got the front two bolts out and now I see the dipstick. I can not tell how this tube is attached. Any help would be appreciated !!!

EDIT: I figure it out. For future reference: the dipstick tube is not attached to anything. Once I got the pan separated, the tube also come off. It takes a lot of pressure to separate the pan due to the factory sealant. A lot more pressure than I thought it is needed. Also, I did this at home with car lifted up on jack stands. Not the most comfortable way to wrench while I am on my back, but it is doable. I just take my time, take lots of breaks and patience.

Last edited by BCT; 12-25-16 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Urgent - Need To Remove Transmission Pan - Stuck