SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Does the transmission pan really hold only 1.8 liters of ATF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-15, 05:07 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Does the transmission pan really hold only 1.8 liters of ATF?

Hi All: I'm replacing my transmission pan this weekend. I have a stripped drain plug that is leaking.

I read on CL that tge ATF capacity is 1.8 liters, about 2 quarts. Is that correct??

Your help is much appreciated!!
Old 02-27-15, 07:37 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

That sounds about right, when I get home I will check the service manual.

Are you going to flush it too?

I was amazed at how simple it is to flush the transmission...

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-28-15 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-27-15, 07:44 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

I am planning to flush the ATF in the pan only, and I think it is only about 2 quarts? When I look at the pan I bought from Sewel it doesnt look like it could hold more that 2 quarts..
Old 02-27-15, 08:38 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did multiple transmission fluid drain and refill and can confirm the pan holds ~2 qts when cold.
Old 02-27-15, 09:14 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Hi All: I'm replacing my transmission pan this weekend. I have a stripped drain plug that is leaking.

I read on CL that tge ATF capacity is 1.8 liters, about 2 quarts. Is that correct??

Your help is much appreciated!!
...Lex the 1.8 is correct, if you're doing just a drain & fill of the pan.If you change the filter, you'll need additional fluid. I can't remember 100% but I think my mechanic said he used about 4 quarts.My invoice shows he charged me for 5, so somewhere in that neighborhood.I also had the trans valve mod done, while the pan was off....hope this helps some
Old 02-27-15, 10:25 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Ok so it is FIVE quarts if I am going to flush when I change out the transmission pan?? Why does everyone say there is only 1.8 quarts in the pan. I'm so confused. Is it because when you remove the pan there is an additional three quarts somewhere?? The filter is just a strainer, so why would additional fluid be necessary
Old 02-28-15, 12:31 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

lex.. replacing the pan is 3.5qts. Drain and fill is 1.8 to 2 qts, this is because the pan is at an angle and removing the drain bolt doesn't remove all the atf in the pan. Good time to change transmission filter, and do the valve mod if you haven't done it yet. Also felpro gasket for the transmission pan works great.

Just did this a couple of weeks ago.. it's in my build thread..post #65
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post8880413

Last edited by kuWuPt; 02-28-15 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-28-15, 09:46 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

The 2002 owners manual states 1.8L or 1.9qts for a drain and refill.

The shop manual pan, filter replacement did not provide the amount of fluid required. Be sure to clean the three magnets and post up some pictures if you are able.

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-28-15 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-28-15, 10:52 AM
mpezely
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Below is transmission service information copied and pasted from a previous post. Great information imo.

Transmission steps.pdf (199.4 KB, 1163 views)
Old 02-28-15, 12:01 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mpezely
Below is transmission service information copied and pasted from a previous post. Great information imo.

Transmission steps.pdf (199.4 KB, 1163 views)
Transmission steps.pdf

Last edited by Bgw70; 03-01-15 at 03:42 AM.
Old 12-12-16, 06:18 PM
BCT
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

The plan is to drop the pan, do the pressure mod, and flush the transmission fluid sometime soon, or over the holiday. So I went to Advance Auto Part today to buy the gasket for transmission pan. I was asked if I want to replace the filter too. I was under the impression the transmission do not have a filter, but it is just a screen that do not need to be replaced. Is this not correct? But I notice kuWuPt replaced his filter on this thread.

Please advice?

Thanks
Chris
Old 12-12-16, 06:31 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BCT
The plan is to drop the pan, do the pressure mod, and flush the transmission fluid sometime soon, or over the holiday. So I went to Advance Auto Part today to buy the gasket for transmission pan. I was asked if I want to replace the filter too. I was under the impression the transmission do not have a filter, but it is just a screen that do not need to be replaced. Is this not correct? But I notice kuWuPt replaced his filter on this thread.

Please advice?

Thanks
Chris
it is my understanding the "filter" is just a screen and no reason to replace.
when you say flush the transmission fluid I hope you just mean drain and refill. Is that correct?
never use a machine to power flush the transmission.
i never dropped the pan. I just disconnected the transmission to radiator lines and put them in a gallon jug. Started the car, drained one gallon, replaced with new fluid and repeated two or three more times. The fluid became bright red and new.
BTW, this works best with two people.
The following users liked this post:
BCT (12-12-16)
Old 12-12-16, 06:49 PM
BCT
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
it is my understanding the "filter" is just a screen and no reason to replace.
when you say flush the transmission fluid I hope you just mean drain and refill. Is that correct?
never use a machine to power flush the transmission.
i never dropped the pan. I just disconnected the transmission to radiator lines and put them in a gallon jug. Started the car, drained one gallon, replaced with new fluid and repeated two or three more times. The fluid became bright red and new.
BTW, this works best with two people.
Totally with you here. I am not using a machine. I will drain, clean then refill the pan. Then disconnect the line to radiator, drain and refill a few quart at one time. Since you mention one gallon at a time, I may do this to make the process go faster. I guess flush is probably not the correct term here. I have done this before but on an SUV. Going to be interesting since the SC is so low to the ground and everything I see seems so tight, so I would imagine it will be tight down there.

Thanks for confirming it is a screen!
Old 12-12-16, 07:12 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

The luxlink guy mentioned that the older Lexus had 15k trans fluid changes.,

the rational was that only two liters out of 14 are replaced.

he also mentioned if you go 90k miles you would normally get a check light to come on as a trans solenoid has stuck.

a flush will clear that up he says. $350?

had him change mine at 20k. Fluid was fairly dark btw.

15k trans fluid changes and all other fluid changes on schedule makes the car almost unbreakable according to him
Old 12-13-16, 07:26 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Another confirm on how much ATF is needed after dropping the pan. Had mine resealed cos of minor weeping. Needed five quarts to replace what flowed out after dropping the pan. And also, in the past when just doing a drain refill for the tranny, it was indeed about two quarts.
The following users liked this post:
BCT (12-13-16)

Quick Reply: Does the transmission pan really hold only 1.8 liters of ATF?