SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Trading SC430 for IS350 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-15, 06:16 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Dang... The IS350C and SC430 are two different cars for two different drivers. I guess ask for an extended test drive to where you can take it home over the weekend to make sure you like it. I've driven the IS350C and didn't like it compare to my 09 PB but then again you have the LS600hL as the daily.
Old 01-13-15, 08:29 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know about other members here. Every time I looked to trade car and wanted opinion from others, I was actually seeking approval from them, the mind has already made up and I'm just looking for that one person to agree with my decision to make me feel I have done right.
With that being said, wish you the best with your choice. You know what you gave up and gained with the IS.
Old 08-30-15, 07:23 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexeffect
You will live to regret this decision in a few weeks time...
LEXEFFECT: As it turns out, it took me more than the few weeks you originally predicted, but you were absolutely right that I would regret trading in my 2009 SC430 on a 2012 IS350C. And I'm not too full of myself to admit it was a mistake

Don't get me wrong, the IS350 was a nice car... It's just lacked that "I feel special when I get in it" thing... I drove it for 3 months and quickly tired of it. I ended up selling it back to the Lexus dealer (who took good care of me and didn't make me swallow too much loss, since I've been such a good customer of theirs).

So now I'm on the prowl for a replacement for my beloved '09 SC430. I've decided to go the low cost/old school route this time, and have found a pristine 2002 with 43K miles in Yakima WA that I've been negotiating on this week (see my recent posts for details). It looks like I'll end up getting it for $16.3K, which is a pretty good deal in my mind. I was able to have a great conversation with the previous owner and am convinced this car is perfect for me.

I recently read an article that had predictions for cars which are becoming more collectible as time passes, and the SC430 was at the top of the list. I think owning a cherry version of the first production year will be a good thing.

Anyway, thanks for your original advice (wish I'd have followed it). I should be rejoining the SC430 owners' club very soon!

Rick
Old 08-30-15, 08:24 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar

I recently read an article that had predictions for cars which are becoming more collectible as time passes, and the SC430 was at the top of the list.
Rick
That's what I explain to the other half when she talks about how the SC430 is old. It is so unique a vehicle and despite being criticized by the uneducated automotive press in its early years, the fact that they sell real quick whenever a Lexus dealer has one available on the lot is proof that us SC430 owners are sitting on something more than just a regular hardtop convertible. Still the only hardtop vert I know of that allows a full sized golf bag in the rear while having the top down. And as long as your driver is a 45" shaft or less, no adjustment needed - it all goes right in. Still amazing to me.
Old 08-30-15, 10:57 PM
Balr14
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread has been real interesting. I've thought about selling my SC430 a few times. The biggest thing that stops me is a lack of a comparable replacement.
Old 08-31-15, 08:53 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In the current auto design world most of the upscale sports cars use a predictable formula of smooth curves combined with more rakish, angular elements (certainly true of the IS350C). The SC430 really stands out with that classic 'Chris Craft' boat look that inspired all those love-it-or-hate-it evaluations originally. That quirky look seems to be getting more endearing as time goes on. For me and my wife, it is the experience inside the car that keeps us (no not that!). That ultra-smooth V8, the plush ride (on the proper tires), and the retractable hardtop. We've updated the radio and communications technology however.
Old 08-31-15, 10:08 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Kjcole is spot on, the ride is the most pleasing aspect of the car. Solid and plush (with non-run flat tires of course) and yet it gives you the grunt and the sturdy feel that the car is firmly situated on the road.

I have not upgraded the receiver, but have replaced the speakers (the fronts are new and the Tweeters and Sub were re-seal and/or re-coned), they sound super. And recently I have upgraded to Bluetooth for next to nothing. I just go in and play the Itunes and the systems picks it up.

The LED tails and the stubby antenna keep the car looking youthful.

Much like the owners on a typical fall day, the breeze messing up their hair, smiles from ear to ear.
Old 08-31-15, 02:48 PM
Trump2016
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my long life I had all kinds of cars. My SC430, with that special sound and everything else, is not just another car, just as my wife of 45 years is not just another woman. No, I am not comparing the two, but merely saying that after so many years, thousands of miles and random compliments from perfect strangers, my attachment to it goes beyond just that of an owner. As some of my friends have said about their toys, I would rather get a cut on my arm and half-dozen stitches than a dent - if for no other reason that it is next to impossible to match silver.

On the chick scale, and in my opinion, IS350C is a lot higher, as it resembles Solara, a car I have yet to see driven by a man. A set of Mustang Cobra wheels with bright rims and black spokes, "wrapped" in 295/35r18 tires removes any doubts as to the owner's gender.

Last edited by Trump2016; 08-31-15 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-31-15, 07:24 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Gets better looking each day!

My opinion aligns with that of the many who feel the look of the SC430 continues to evolve along the lines of classic cars that only get better looking with age. I follow CL's very own Aquanuke on Facebook and was intrigued by a couple of the comments elicited by a recent SC430 photo posted by Chris.

Lake District

Alfa Romeo perhaps . . .

Last edited by StillLine; 08-31-15 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-31-15, 10:19 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by StillLine
My opinion aligns with that of the many who feel the look of the SC430 continues to evolve along the lines of classic cars that only get better looking with age. I follow CL's very own Aquanuke on Facebook and was intrigued by a couple of the comments elicited by a recent SC430 photo posted by Chris.

Lake District

Alfa Romeo perhaps . . .
...yes he has one of the best looking Sc's on the planet...in my opinion !!!
Old 09-01-15, 07:38 AM
Taysdad
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LEXEFFECT: As it turns out, it took me more than the few weeks you originally predicted, but you were absolutely right that I would regret trading in my 2009 SC430 on a 2012 IS350C. And I'm not too full of myself to admit it was a mistake

Don't get me wrong, the IS350 was a nice car... It's just lacked that "I feel special when I get in it" thing... I drove it for 3 months and quickly tired of it. I ended up selling it back to the Lexus dealer (who took good care of me and didn't make me swallow too much loss, since I've been such a good customer of theirs).

So now I'm on the prowl for a replacement for my beloved '09 SC430. I've decided to go the low cost/old school route this time, and have found a pristine 2002 with 43K miles in Yakima WA that I've been negotiating on this week (see my recent posts for details). It looks like I'll end up getting it for $16.3K, which is a pretty good deal in my mind. I was able to have a great conversation with the previous owner and am convinced this car is perfect for me.

I recently read an article that had predictions for cars which are becoming more collectible as time passes, and the SC430 was at the top of the list. I think owning a cherry version of the first production year will be a good thing.

Anyway, thanks for your original advice (wish I'd have followed it). I should be rejoining the SC430 owners' club very soon!

Rick
Rick,

I am not surprised to hear this. I wouldn't focus too much on the prior loss but rather on the future to make your new SC430 just as you want it. I know exactly what you mean by "not a special feel" -- I describe it as "doesn't have the same sense of soul". It's just hard to dimension and measure that in a car, but it is real. I take every opportunity I can to drive my old SC430 when my daughter is home. I suspect I too will get another some day soon.

Michael
Old 09-01-15, 09:35 AM
Lexeffect
Driver

Rick
Rick-

The Lexus SC430 is such a special automobile that is unrivaled by a precious few, if any in my personal opinion. The time, money and resources poured into developing the car is beyond reproach. When that much attention to detail is paid to the launch of a new platform, what you reap in the end is near perfection.

The car is so solid, versatile, powerful, luxurious and unique that one cannot help but take a second look upon it after arriving at one's destination. I can appreciate all of the effort poured into such a design exercise only to see it all come to fruition each time I take it for a drive.

The Lexus creamy but powerful V8 engine is what I would miss the most if I were to ever sell any of my Lexus vehicles. I am fortunate to have the pleasure of currently owning a '98 SC400, '08 SC430 and '02 LS430. I realize they are squeezing out comparable HP numbers from a V6 these days, but it pales in comparison to the feeling one derives from a silky smooth 8 cylinder power plant.

Hopefully this was a lesson learned in that the thrill of the chase fades quickly after actually acquiring an object that only allured you in thought. It's all about chasing things we don't have only to realize it is in fact about the THRILL of the chase, not about the actual acquisition. I too learned this lesson the hard way.

Like the old adage about the dog chasing the car--- "What's it going to do when it actually catches it?" Lol.

My best to you and your "New" Lexus SC430, and I hope it brings you as much enjoyment as your last one.
Old 09-05-15, 11:30 AM
Lexeffect
Driver

Old 09-07-15, 12:31 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It is actually a very unique car.

I can't describe how many compliments I get and how many people turn around and point.
I know obviously some mods have gave it a much better look, but regardless the shape is gorgeous.

Recently as I pulled over to pick up someone in the busy street in downtown. A side from many people looking, a bunch of guys walking by and I heard "wow I didn't know Lexus made nice cars" lol I didn't know how to take that at first I mean all of them being very luxury and not showing it much on the outside.. I guess they meant that Lexus doesn't make cars looking as nice as this.. Put a smile on my face

After owning many different, I find the SC is one car any age group can appreciate.
---

but not to ruin the thread.. I think the IS is quite pretty, but like most said they are on a different level (kinda like comparing a bmw 3 series convertible to a 6 series).. depends on what you want? the IS definitely has more room in the rear.., will feel sportier, itll be much newer.. less on gas.. again depends on what you want.

Last edited by 416tt; 09-07-15 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-07-15, 07:42 AM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Gang

I have own BMW's 6 and I can tell you the SC is a much more
dependable car . If you ever decide to sell the SC , you will regret it

I currently own a 03 SC with 29K and the car still drives like a new car

Quick Reply: Trading SC430 for IS350 Convertible